Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Opinion change about Land as it gets older ?

United States

Eugene Clark

I've never seen him in anything else, so I didn't want to down him without knowing his non-zombie abilities. But that was funny about the rock :-)
    xxxopher
    -There's Always Another Level-
    www.xxxopher.com

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    I don't think the social saire and commentary is BS, but I can understand how it could be overkill on the part of the fans. I see these films as very commentative, but that's my personality, I make analogies out of everything. The difference I see between the two older ones and the newer ones is this:

Night and Dawn seem as though GAR's a young man, no specific direction just making a cool movie, and the social commentary is more underlying like a kid with a cocky attitude. Day and Land seem more mature. The movies have a more polished feel, the message is more visible and he seems more meditative. Even Steven Spielberg (not that the two have anything at all in common) said that his age and changing status in life affected how he wrote movies. At one point he said now that he was married and had children, if he made a movie like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind today the characters would deal with the situation very differently.

Also, if I may say so, as outstanding an actor as Eugene Clark may be, he does not make a good zombie IMHO. His voice did not sound like a zombie voice, it sounded like an actor wearing zombie makeup and yelling.
    Well thats what I am saying, when GAR was younger you can see he made films to make good scary films. Then all the cult following and yes men that trail him started filling his head with all this sillyness about social satire, and the zombies as anti-heros and all this other foolishness. I think in GARs old age he took it too much to heart and believed it and now he has a political message he is trying to wrap with a movie, its obvious and it made watching this movie a lot more of a drag than the others. Polished sure, but it was as obvious as V for Vendetta. I mean, jeez George, just make a movie to be a movie, why does it have to have a message? The message will appear on its own in the form of contemplation and discussion. All the talk about this meaning this, and social satire meaning that etc just brings me back to those stupid creative writing courses I took in college.

I wrote a story once about a serial killer who was having an interview with his psychiatrist. As he thought back on his kills etc the doctor squeemed yadda yadda, but when it was read by the class and people started putting thier spin on it i was blown away at the "messages" they found quite unintentionally that was there and I laughed at the majority of them. Theres something so pretentious about it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    I've never seen him in anything else, so I didn't want to down him without knowing his non-zombie abilities. But that was funny about the rock :-)
    He was mostly in TV before LAND. A few movies...but mostly TV.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    I know; it's pure comedy at this point. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

I love this guy.....he never gives up or gives in.
    As I sit here and smoke this cigarette, a thought strikes me. Scientists and researchers, presumably a little smarter and more dedicated to their craft than us, have actively been searching for a cure for cancer for decades. Now, there is no "creator" of cancer that we can ask his opinion about why he created it, or if there is a cure (except for God, maybe, but I dont think he will answer), but all evidence thus far points to the fact that there is no cure. Same for muscular dystrophy, Jerry Lewis has been running a telethon forever, yet no cure had been found. I certainly hope that the fact that no cure can be found, and is apparently not close to being found, does not mean that it is indeed a fact that no cure exists. Perhaps that was thought about Polio too, and smallpox, before innoculations were discovered. As I find it harder and harder to quit smoking, I hope that those cancer researchers do not come to the conclusion that it is comedy at this point to keep wasting resourses along this lines of study, and continue their research until a cure is found.

United States
    I think the big blow that got me off cigarettes was a few weeks ago when I coughed up blood...

2 years and it was that easy, hah.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Well thats what I am saying, when GAR was younger you can see he made films to make good scary films. Then all the cult following and yes men that trail him started filling his head with all this sillyness about social satire, and the zombies as anti-heros and all this other foolishness. I think in GARs old age he took it too much to heart and believed it and now he has a political message he is trying to wrap with a movie, its obvious and it made watching this movie a lot more of a drag than the others. Polished sure, but it was as obvious as V for Vendetta. I mean, jeez George, just make a movie to be a movie, why does it have to have a message? The message will appear on its own in the form of contemplation and discussion. All the talk about this meaning this, and social satire meaning that etc just brings me back to those stupid creative writing courses I took in college.

I wrote a story once about a serial killer who was having an interview with his psychiatrist. As he thought back on his kills etc the doctor squeemed yadda yadda, but when it was read by the class and people started putting thier spin on it i was blown away at the "messages" they found quite unintentionally that was there and I laughed at the majority of them. Theres something so pretentious about it.

I agree. When I was a kid they meant so much to me (and still do) because I feel like one man chasing my dreams against hopeless odds. But I think that was found more in me, than in the movies. I also think Land lacked a little something else too though. Using the "F" f#ck word all the time did not make this feel any less a Universal Picture. The blood and carnage was like, an extra in this movie. In his other films, (EVEN BRUISER which I did like) the carnage was, like, the main character. Like literally, Captain Rhodes' intestine was a principal character in Day. It was right there in the foreground where you could see it in every juicy detail. You just can't make a big studio Hollywood GAR film. They have too many inhibitions.

HOWEVER, all that being said, I did enjoy Land. I enjoy it more with respect to the bigger picture. If it was a stand alone film, I probably would not be that crazy about it. I just can't wait until Diary is out so I can watch and critique it.
    xxxopher
    -There's Always Another Level-
    www.xxxopher.com

Undisclosed
    It looks like people here generally dont like Land. Whats up with yoU? Its a quality film, I couldn't have asked for more for the new Romero Zombie flick, I think people hyped it up a bit too much is all. I loved it

"I dont know whats better getting laid or getting paid, I just
    know that when I get one the others getting away!"

Super Moderator

UK
    *ahem*

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ead.php?t=1342

This was done a while ago and in fact, most HPOTD-ers like the flick, there was another poll done by the sore losers (teehee) and yet the film still came out favourably. This poll was one I set up to do a while back and it was a simple yes or no or it's alright poll to cut through the bullsh*t and get the opinion polled once and for all.

Rock on Land of the Dead.

Undisclosed
    Any Romero dead film will be a good dead film. We just raise the bar a little higher than what's reasonable sometimes. Was LOTD a perfect film? Of course not, but it's better than 99% of the zombie movies not made by Romero.
    "Move over, boys. I'm one of the gang now." - Mantan Moreland

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    LOTD is the day of the dead of it's time. people said alot of the same things about day that they are saying about this film. I think this is a question better asked a few more years down the road when all the bitterness subsides and it can properly be put into context.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"