Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Elm Street remake - the new Freddy?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This has probably been done to death on here but I really can't be bothered reading five or six pages of posts to find the answer, so here goes: what's they justification for re-casting the Freddy role? They're clearly going for the same look at the original and the age of the actor is irrelevant when he's under an inch of latex...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Will you also note the things you like?
    When we see yours for Dawn, then possibly, yes. That's if I can find ANYTHING redeeming about it, which at this point, I can't say I do. Actually, wait, scratch that - I can think of one shot in the film I really liked, but that's about it.

Until then, I think we're going to have to chop down a rain forest for enough paper to write the things I despise about this flick.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    oh and BTW, his wife is joining in, and his wife hates it more than him and I do.
    He's not kidding - if you think I loathe that film, just wait.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 13-Apr-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    This has probably been done to death on here but I really can't be bothered reading five or six pages of posts to find the answer, so here goes: what's they justification for re-casting the Freddy role? They're clearly going for the same look at the original and the age of the actor is irrelevant when he's under an inch of latex...
    Same look? The new Freddy is definitely more "burn victim realistic" ... it feels more "actual" rather than "designed" like the old school Freddy did (or at least, how he became).

They also specifically wanted to go darker, and a lot of fan folk out there - when they heard of a remake - said it should be Hayley, so Dunes looked him up and cast him. No doubt it was his performance as Rorschach that got him the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Don't do it MZ!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Don't do it MZ!

It'll only end up as a ying yang list..

1. It's short!

But not short enough

2. It's called 'Dawn of the Dead'

But, it's not 'Dawn of the Dead'

3. It's got zombies!

But, they're not really zombies

Some people are never satisfied.

And some just wait and see what the film is like so they can jump on the opposite side and sayit would have been much better if they did it the other way.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Same look? The new Freddy is definitely more "burn victim realistic" ... it feels more "actual" rather than "designed" like the old school Freddy did (or at least, how he became).

They also specifically wanted to go darker, and a lot of fan folk out there - when they heard of a remake - said it should be Hayley, so Dunes looked him up and cast him. No doubt it was his performance as Rorschach that got him the gig.

I think the new Freddy looks like he has down syndrome. Bad design.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I think the new Freddy looks like he has down syndrome. Bad design.
    So do all the other NOES fans that are going to hate it no matter what just because it's new.

I think the complaints about Freddy's new look are just nitpicking. Stiped shirt, hat, burned face, and gloves. The same character is there. And he's damn near the same as the original.

If they had mad the EXACT same face over again for this new flick....everyone would be complaining that it's not something new.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think the make up looks better to be honest. It's looks freaky as fuck ... like I was saying, "realistic burns victim" look ... unsettling.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Some people are never satisfied.

And some just wait and see what the film is like so they can jump on the opposite side and sayit would have been much better if they did it the other way.

Would that be you?

Cos it wouldn't be me. I have better things to do than to sit through a film I know I'm going bitch about later.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So do all the other NOES fans that are going to hate it no matter what just because it's new.

I think the complaints about Freddy's new look are just nitpicking. Stiped shirt, hat, burned face, and gloves. The same character is there. And he's damn near the same as the original.

If they had mad the EXACT same face over again for this new flick....everyone would be complaining that it's not something new.
    I am not a fan of NOES or its following of fat, sweaty fans (if you are a fan, I am not saying that you are fat or sweaty) . From a makeup effects and character design standpoint, new Freddy isn't that impressive.

Also, since our favorite frat boy, Mike Bay, is involved, I am sure we will get the usual "No,no,no,no,no" and "go, go, go, go, move!".

Like it wasn't bad already that they are making another one.
    Last edited by fulci fan; 14-Apr-2010 at 04:29 AM.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I am not a fan of NOES or its following of fat, sweaty fans

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Fulci Fan is right.

That Freddy make up sucks.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^^

That pic is wrong on so many levels. And I don't think that stain is sweat.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    hmm I'm kinda of the opinion that Freddy should be portrayed as an effeminate weirdo with a chip on his shoulder rather than an evil death metal vocalist with burn marks....

know what i mean? I reckon it'd be far creepier if he was softly spoken yet committed untold acts of evil - like all kid murderers really...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    an effeminate weirdo

You rang?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Isn't that the truth.

I'll be honest, I think the makeup is "ok" but that's as far as it goes. When I saw the first full-on headshot of it, I thought "Why the hell does Freddy look chinese?!" There's something about the eyes that looks wrong to me. I can't really put my finger on it.

Not only that, when he talks in the few shots we see it, it looks like the only thing moving is his lips and everything else on his face is stationary. In the original, it looks like the prosthetics they put on Englund allowed his mouth/face area to move better (if that makes sense) making the effects more "real" and more a part of him - at least to me. It wasn't just lips moving under a mask of stone, so-to-speak.

Personally, I liked the original makeup better, but I'm still kinda stoked to see what they do with this flick. I don't think it should've been done, but I think their approach might be a winner here (I stress "might"). They're staying respectful to the original (which most remakes do not do), while changing it up a bit and bringing it up to date.

I'm still on the fence with this one though.

I just hope they they don't go with the "comedian" Freddy aspect like they did in all the movies after the first one. Freddy, in part 1, was scary - in the sequels that followed, he was nothing more than a burn victim comedian, and that's not scary nor funny.