Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: What Game Are You Currently Playing?

United States
    Been playing a lot of Reach multiplayer lately, and was able to play 1 round of Team Slayer with hellsing. Notched up 20 kills!

Other than that, my friend gave me his copy of Fifa 11. Even though I suck at it, it's still pretty fun.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I also have terminator : Salvation I'm trying to get through. It's a pretty sucky game actually there just a ton of achievement points at stake, so....

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I also have terminator : Salvation I'm trying to get through. It's a pretty sucky game actually there just a ton of achievement points at stake, so....

Sucky game. Sucky movie.

In terms of Dead Rising, with a sequel out, you shoulda just gone straight for the second game. DR1 rightly had a reputation for being punishing ... I on the other hand didn't play any of the story mode, or took on any psychos, I just rescued a couple of survivors and otherwise ran around killing zombies - for that it worked - but you do have to work around DR1's nuisances.

DR2 isn't a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination, but it was generally a better game than DR1. I actually managed to do several story missions (and I'm shit at DR story modes), but the weapons aren't muchs stronger than before (some are, some aren't), and again I just go around slaying zombies.

HOWEVER - DR2 is on the PC, unlike DR1, so if you have a rig that'll handle it (make sure you update your gfx card drivers though), get it for the PC and use a trainer (which gives you a range of options to choose from - including invincible weapons, infinite ammo, god mode etc), so you could choose invincible weapons only if you wanted and play it that way ... perhaps give that a go, Shoot.

As for GTA IV -

Aye I got the ending you did with Roman staying alive.

Visually I really dug GTA IV, and I've never had a problem with the bloom effect - which, yes, is overused in games these days - but I never noticed it as so overbearing personally, I was probably too busy paying attention to thieving cars and driving them wildly ... speaking of which, initially I had such a hard time with the driving mechanics, but once I got into them I loved them, they just felt so much more realistic (so later on when I played Saints Row 2, the car physics were nothing short of laughable) and I could powerslide my way around a corner nicely.

England
    If you want some zombie slayin' MZ pick up a copy of Left 4 dead 2, I think its going dirt cheap now! Its not a game you can play for hours on end as its quite repetitive, but its damned good fun when your in the mood for it, and I've never seen damage models so good in a game even if it is somewhat stomach churning!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    If you want some zombie slayin' MZ pick up a copy of Left 4 dead 2, I think its going dirt cheap now! Its not a game you can play for hours on end as its quite repetitive, but its damned good fun when your in the mood for it, and I've never seen damage models so good in a game even if it is somewhat stomach churning!
    left 4 dead 2 is one of those games were on your own its good for 3 or 4 replays, but the more friends you have the more fun you have with it at an almost exponential rate.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    left 4 dead 2 is one of those games were on your own its good for 3 or 4 replays, but the more friends you have the more fun you have with it at an almost exponential rate.
    I would have bought either of them by now - however - Steam. Fuck Steam. In the butt and everything. Twice.

However I am playing STALKER: Call of Pripyat at long last, so that's something. I'm still running DX9, so unfortunately the graphics aren't as good as those on Clear Sky (no doubt to try and force people into getting the latest OS' which support DX10 and 11 ), but nevertheless I'm enjoying it and getting back into the swing of being a STALKER in "the zone".

I've just gone to Yanov station for the first time, but haven't set foot outside of it yet.

I had a dummy moment yesterday though, as I've been playing it for a few days without using the "Run" key. So I've been walking everywhere (weirdly there is another option which makes you walk even slower) - then I thought "hang about" and checked the controller set up and found the "Run" key, so now I'm mercifully flying around the zone at a reasonable speed.

Guess my head wasn't screwed on.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Dec-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    In terms of Dead Rising, with a sequel out, you shoulda just gone straight for the second game. DR1 rightly had a reputation for being punishing ... I on the other hand didn't play any of the story mode, or took on any psychos, I just rescued a couple of survivors and otherwise ran around killing zombies - for that it worked - but you do have to work around DR1's nuisances.

DR2 isn't a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination, but it was generally a better game than DR1. I actually managed to do several story missions (and I'm shit at DR story modes), but the weapons aren't muchs stronger than before (some are, some aren't), and again I just go around slaying zombies.

HOWEVER - DR2 is on the PC, unlike DR1, so if you have a rig that'll handle it (make sure you update your gfx card drivers though), get it for the PC and use a trainer (which gives you a range of options to choose from - including invincible weapons, infinite ammo, god mode etc), so you could choose invincible weapons only if you wanted and play it that way ... perhaps give that a go, Shoot.
    If it's on the PC then I'll get for that platform. Never been too big a fan of the XBOX controller for shooting games. It's like tryng to aim a gun with a lead weight attached. I'll have to wait until my new GFX card arrives though, which mighn't be soon. We have 3 or 4 inches of snow here in Ireland at the moment. That means the whole country will shut down

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Visually I really dug GTA IV, and I've never had a problem with the bloom effect - which, yes, is overused in games these days - but I never noticed it as so overbearing personally, I was probably too busy paying attention to thieving cars and driving them wildly ... speaking of which, initially I had such a hard time with the driving mechanics, but once I got into them I loved them, they just felt so much more realistic (so later on when I played Saints Row 2, the car physics were nothing short of laughable) and I could powerslide my way around a corner nicely.
    XBOX games overuse it cos there's no option to use anti-alias and its a cheap way to hide jaggies. But sometimes it looks terrible.

Yeh, the cars were great, once you got the edge n them. I nearly always use a bike though.

Can't play Saints Row 2 anymore. Had enough of it. Really gets shown up by the better cousin.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 01-Dec-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: ,
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    XBOX games overuse it cos there's no option to use anti-alias and its a cheap way to hide jaggies..
    This is not true. Almost every 360 games uses at least 2xAA, with the Xbox 360 version of GTAIV running at full 720p (1280x720), whereas the PlayStation 3 code natively renders at 1152x640 before being software-upscaled.

With a good PC, you can make it look way better than the console versions, of course.

United States
    What the hell is up with Stalker? I was eye-balling that game like 2 years ago and for whatever reason never looked into it and now since I've been playing Metro 2033 I hear all kinds of things about it. Is it good and what's it about???

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    What the hell is up with Stalker? I was eye-balling that game like 2 years ago and for whatever reason never looked into it and now since I've been playing Metro 2033 I hear all kinds of things about it. Is it good and what's it about???
    STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl came out in 2007, and after it was appropriately patched it was a decent game - with atmosphere that was second-to-none. In terms of atmosphere, STALKER had 2007 all sewn up. Certain aspects were flawed, and it can be an unrelenting experience if you're not using cheats (like I do ).

Then came STALKER Clear Sky, a prequel which polished some elements, but again needed several patches to scrub it up to par, but it wasn't as good in my opinion - the whole "factions" element wasn't worked in properly, and the latter portions of the game were disappointing, but it had some good bits - but again it was rather unrelenting if you're not using a trainer.

Now we have STALKER Call of Pripyat, a sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl. The English language version came out a few months after the German and Russian release, so it's patched right out of the box, so it's the most stable version of STALKER around. Nothing much has changed, but the story is less focussed - in a good way, I think - but the DX9 graphics have been unfortunately toned down compared to their counterpart in Clear Sky (no doubt to sell people on newer operating systems which support the flashy DX10 and DX11 graphics). The "factions" element makes more sense here (like, if you get into a fight with a gang of bandits and kill them all, you won't find yourself magically an enemy of all bandits). It's often been said that Call of Pripyat is the most complete version of what they set out to do in Shadow of Chernobyl, and I think the first and third games are the best ones.

They're RPG FPS games, and while they're certainly not overtly polished experiences, if you want to go traipsing around Chernobyl, Pripyat, and the surrounding environs fighting mutants and taking care of yourself and your equipment, avoiding radiation (of multiple types) and anomalies, then you won't find the experience elsewhere.

It often gets compared with Fallout 3, and there's an element of truth in that, but it is its own thing. Apparently there is a STALKER 2 in development, which would also be coming to consoles, and there's rumour of a STALKER television show (in Russian) ... the franchise has a loyal fanbase. If you're into it, you're damn well into it, if you're not, you're damn well not. It's not a casual game by any stretch of the imagination, but like I said, if/once you get into it, you're fascinated by it - such as I was.

Check out some gameplay footage and reviews of the series on YouTube and have a think about it.

Interestingly some of the guys behind Metro 2033 were originally involved with the original STALKER, but they left part-way through development (STALKER had a notoriously long and convoluted development time, with an original release date of 2004/2005, only to finally come out in Spring 2007).

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    This is not true. Almost every 360 games uses at least 2xAA,
    cool. didn't know that. Still looks rubbish next to my PC.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    I am taking a break from earning achievements on Dead Space 2. I am currently playing Samurai Warriors 3 for Nintendo. I bought the game today new for $14.11 with a $40 Best Buy gift card.

United States
    I used to hate Steam but now I'm a total Steam junkie. If I cannot buy a game with just a few clicks and have it automatically download to my computer without ever leaving my chair there is a good chance I'll just find a different game.

L4D2 is a fun game, and does get better with better coop players.

I'm still playing Starcraft 2
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Got a PS3 for X-mas, so I've been neglecting my seXBOX and playing a lot of MLB The Show '10 and Uncharted 2. Both are incredible.

Super Moderator

UK
    Played Crackdown 2 at the moment. Got it on sale, rather cheap too, no way was I paying full price for it.

More of the same, but if you wanted more of the same - as I did - then you're in luck. The mutant angle is a bit "meh", and the "tactical locations" aren't tactical - not like in the first game where you could cripple their weapons, or vehicle houses so that further camps of baddies had worse weapons, or didn't have vehicle capabilities - not so in #2, which is bizarre. It's just so you have a place to touch down, get weapons, and help clean up the city ... so barely tactical.

Also - the aiming is fucking annoying at times - more than several times have I growled "stop locking onto the car!" or "stop locking onto my own cops!" - seriously, the fucking autolock should just lock onto bad guys and leave it at that. Plus, the auto lock seems to prefer to lock onto a car door rather than Cell soldier who is standing right next to it fucking shooting at me. Seriously - their testers must have been high not to notice the annoying auto lock system which is annoying half the damn time. But then the autolock was a bit of a nuisance in the first ... but I think it's gotten worse, to be honest. Not sure.

Even still, it's a decent game, especially on sale price. It's all about the orb collecting in the end and leaping around from rooftop to rooftop.