Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: First Look at AMC's The Walking Dead Zombies as Production Begins

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    I am properly wetting myself with excitement. As I've said before, if this series is a success, and is as good as it's sounding like it will be, I have very very high hopes that the WWZ movie will be the epic zombie film we're all wanting. Roll on October.

Agreed. The genre NEEDS this to be a success. Since Gar apparently can't deliver the goods anymore the mantle is up for grabs. It seems as if no one wants it though.

However, no one seems to want to take shamblers seriously. If this works believe we are going to see a new wave of zombie films looking to strike while the iron is hot alot like we saw in 04'-05'.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Well I'd hope that TWD makes people take shamblers seriously again - well, the morons who suck the cheesy knob of Yawn04 but have no idea about any other zombie movie ever ... you know, your average moron that would appear on, say, Jersey Shore.

It'd be great if GAR directed an episode.

Perhaps GAR is just enjoying himself now - he's earned it alright - I'm sure he'd much rather the expectation of delivering the next zombie "Z-OMG!" fest rest on the shoulders of a younger pup. He's already delivered the zombie film of all time with Dawn of the Dead - the man's earned his place in genre lore as the man.

As for the next true bastion of proper zombie filmmaking - they're out there somewhere and one day they'll make the next big shambler property.

Heck, it might very well be TWD.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah - finished Vol. 1 of TWD - getting Vol. 2 and 3 soon.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Considering ordering them before the show, myself. Haven't seen a single one of them in years.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn Son !

You blew right through that huh? Did it meet your expectations? Does a T.V adaptation of what you read in line with what we all hope it will be?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Darabont said he’s put a lot of thought into it and decided to fall back to George A. Romero’s original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. He called it the “Book of Genesis” of his zombies here. People forget the first zombie we see in NOTLD is moving fairly quickly. He’s not running, but he shuffles after Barbara at a decent speed. That, Darabont feels, gives him a little liberty at having his zombies do a little more than a mummy-walk.

That said, you’re not going to see 28 Days Later stuff here. Look at the cemetery zombie from NOTLD, that’s the top speed.
    very happy to read that particular bit. also glad to see that they don't plan on rick and his group to arrive at the prison till the end of season two, giving the series a very on-the-run type feel.

breaking bad routinely switches people in and out of the director's chair, looks like TWD may end up doing the same. not too sure how i feel about romero stepping in as a guest director...i guess it could be good, but his works as-of-late are rather lackluster in my opinion. as long as he doesn't lay on the social commentary this as shit like he did in diary...

between my anticpation for this, DR2 coming out at the end of august, the new next-gen castelvania dropping this fall, and 100-degree weather, i'm about ready to say "fuck summer" and just hibernate for the next couple of months...kinda like cartman but without the freezing bit.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 23-Jun-2010 at 08:54 PM.

United States
    Since I was feeling like the last person on earth who had yet to read The Walking Dead, I decided it was way past time to get in on the fun. I stopped by my local comic book store over the weekend and snagged volume 1. I told the owner that I would be grabbing a new volume each week, so please make sure he stocks up on them. He laughed and said ok.

I am little embarrassed to admit that since then, I have gone back on seperate occassions to grab volumes 2 and 3. Great reads!

Also, when I went back to the comic store today, I noticed that the entire run of the trades were fully stocked! What service!

United Kingdom
    They're great books, I've just got issues 72 and 73, I plan on re-starting the at them from issue 1 as soon as I can.

I don't have a problem if Romero directs an episode of TWD, it's his writing that has slipped more than anything, maybe if someone else is writing then it might turn out ok. Not that I dislike his recent films, because apart from Land I thought they were good.
    Kill 'em All

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Damn Son !

You blew right through that huh? Did it meet your expectations? Does a T.V adaptation of what you read in line with what we all hope it will be?
    Well they're not overly long Volumes anyway, like 140 pages or whatever, and they're comics/graphic novels, so you can plough through them quite quickly - not that I don't stop to smell the roses along the way, or rather, gawp at the glorious artwork - the zombies all have cool individual things about them, and the attention to detail (death smiles, facial hair growing out, flies EVERYWHERE and crawling around the diseased-looking eyes ... oh man!) I can almost smell the decay from the images.

The dialogue is a bit on-the-nose, and a bit over-explanatory for how real people actually talk - which is my only grievance. The content is cool, and as I said, the artwork is amazing - plus it's shambling zombies, so I'm happy.

I really did enjoy reading Volume 1, so I've got the next couple on their way.

I can see, when reading, what could translate well into TV, and what could use tweaking or re-arranging, or exploring in further depth, and yeah - I really do hope that Darabont et al can really do the franchise justice.

Looking forward to the next volumes...

United States
    I am soo excited about "The Walking Dead"!! It's about time they get a zombie series on tv.
    I haven't read the comic book series,so, it will all be a nice surprise for me.
    I can't wait for Oct to get here!!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    It's about time they get a zombie series on tv.
    Me neither.

But that's so true. You would think with the popularity of zombies, particularly over the last decade, that there would atleast be one measly attempt right?

Well, we got one now and yes I'm sooooooo looking forward to it DA.

(Remember that name? )

Super Moderator

UK
    Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 are now in my possession ... will get cracking on them soon.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 are now in my possession ... will get cracking on them soon.
    Volume 8 is a heartbreaker

United States
    Any more word on this yet? new tidbits?
    Last edited by clanglee; 28-Jun-2010 at 09:15 PM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Any more word on this yet? new tidbits?
    http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ad.php?t=16960

Props to ShadowMan for the find.