Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    It's not tough individually, but can be in groups.

chuck green begs to differ.

UK
    I want the game to be about survival, not about mowing down zombies. I want the securing and management of food/water, fuel, ammo, medicine, and shelter to define the struggle. I want rest and fatigue (physical and mental) to be things that must be managed. I want a freeroam world with no discrete goals.
    You might wanna give this a whirl:

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

It's an indie game, still in development but it's a neat little diversion for an hour or so every now and then.

Ireland
    I'm going back a page or two to some posts by Angry and MZ and Mitch, but my thought is this... I want my zombie game to have one single type of zombie which mirrors the Romero zombie. It's not tough individually, but can be in groups. I want the game to be about survival, not about mowing down zombies. I want the securing and management of food/water, fuel, ammo, medicine, and shelter to define the struggle. I want rest and fatigue (physical and mental) to be things that must be managed. I want a freeroam world with no discrete goals. I want stealth, patience, and strategy to rule where twitch reflexes fail.

I'd like it to include multiplayer in a persistent world. NPC encounters are optional. Missions/quests are optional. If plot exists I want it to flow from my choices, not be directed by completing a linear series of levels.

Would this game be boring for the xbox 360 people who crave bigger and bigger boss fights amidst layers of shallow plot with silly twists to extend the gameplay as the villain escapes YET AGAIN to live to fight you another level (sorry - I played RE5 start to finish)? Yes. Is it more of a niche style game that would appeal to zombie survivalists? Yes. Would the zombie itself be easily replaced with whatever villain suits you (perhaps vampires from I Am Legend?). Yes. So be it.

I think a lot more people would be interested in this type of game than the game developers realize. Take the popularity of Minecraft into account. People like to build stuff and explore stuff. Throw in a tense survival situation (something Minecraft attempts but fails to deliver) and you'd have a very popular game.
    You want 'Oblivion' with zombies.

Me too.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    The audio of Dead Island...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdCbdnFayM
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    everything i see gets me more excited with this. i was expecting the usual bullshit action or 'metal' tripe and this far in to development we have still seen nothing of that since the original trailer light 6 years ago. really glad they did not stick with that direction.

Administrator

England
    Available for pre-order on Steam!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Some new screens... oh yeah!

http://www.incgamers.com/News/28560/...-for-revolting

Not so much a day one purchase, more a chain-yourself-to-the-store-entrance-the-night-before-purchase methinks...

Administrator

England
    Game is now 'Gold'. New co-op trailer:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-DME0W45E&
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I really want to be excited for this game, but all I feel is 'meh'.

Damn you, Dead Rising. You've spoiled all my fun...
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Aug-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Kill Montage:

England
    Urgh I hope theres a way of removing that awful arcade like "points" system that flashes up on screen whenever you hit a zombie, way to ruin the atmosphere

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Kill Montage:

Surely gotta be banned in Germany with this level of blood etc?
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Are there no reviews of this game yet? This makes me nervous.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Are there no reviews of this game yet? This makes me nervous.
    reviews still hold weight for you? i havent paid any attention to them at all for a long while. hell between the gerstman thing, the tomb raider thing, the dragon age 2 metacritic thing and a hundred other little 'debacles' its pretty fucking clear that the '7 to 9 out of ten' professional industry is a fixed joke. At the end of the day its people with no special training give an unquantifiable "out of ten" on a game with no desire to help infrm a purchase, they have just been paid to advertise the game this way by the companies.

Wait till its out and the general public get their hands on it. When theres no backroom agreements and money changing hands to bump up scores. then you'll get an honest opinion.