Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead (video game) - Telltales

Undisclosed
    After waiting way too long for this I just noticed it was just put op on the European PSN.
    Guess I know what to play tonight ... Finally!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    After waiting way too long for this I just noticed it was just put op on the European PSN.
    Guess I know what to play tonight ... Finally!
    Let us know what you think.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Loved it. The writers really nailed the whole depressing zombie apocalypse feel. Dark and creepy stuff.
    I guess people who enjoyed the first episode and/or the genre will love this one even more. Don't want to go into spoiler territory but the focus on human interaction is really well done. It really follows the path Romero laid out with the whole 'the zombies are just there, it's humanity we have to fear from the most in a situation like this' angle.

It's still Telltale though; lotsa lagging in places and VERY light on the puzzling. This s not a 'videogame'. It's a piece of interactive fiction/playable comic book with little to no 'gamey' stuff. I enjoy it for the writing and the slowish pace. The only complaint I can think of is that they should include at least a few tough puzzles per episodes (old school Lucasarts adventure style ...).
    Some of the choices they present you with could be 'tougher' or more ethically ambiguous as well.

Other than that; a very worthwhile addition to the TWD world and the genre in general.
    Last edited by krisvds; 06-Jul-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Apparently telltale apologised for the delay on their blog - which is understandable since jurassic park as a fucking mess development wise and the final product- and this is coming form someone who dearly loves that movie- was terrible and lost them a lot of 'industry cred' as it were so they are having to be on the offensive damage control this time. So they are saying they are trying their damndest to get episode 3 next month.
    However the mere fact that they are 'trying' signifies they dont think its actually 100% that we will get one next month at all. Dont get me wrong i love this game, its their best work, but i dont think we will see the end of this series till december at the earliest...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    agree^^

I did always think episodic gaming wouldn't work, but then I based that on a game I'd never player - that didn't turn out to be episodic...lol...but maybe the point still stands - episodic games mean developers drag their heels on each title and invariably delay it.

Anyway I played ep2 - and man, what a story. Some real "OMG" moments in there. Really shocking. And a great pay off - it plays on your suspicions all the time, things are what they seem, but they're not, but they are - everyone's so well rounded and fleshed out...and yeah...there are I think about 4 "what the fuccccck" moments in it, and they are absolutely golden.

Stunning story -one of the best. Wish it wasn't point and click though - although still immersive.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    Death of a character discussion. Major spoilers.

What did you guys think of Larry's death? I did not see it coming and I even tried to save him. He was a very unlikeable character and I tried to meet his approval. Too bad his head was smashed by a block of salt. Nasty death.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Death of a character discussion. Major spoilers.

What did you guys think of Larry's death? I did not see it coming and I even tried to save him. He was a very unlikeable character and I tried to meet his approval. Too bad his head was smashed by a block of salt. Nasty death.
    The whole episode is spoilt below:

ALL of the deaths had my jaw agape....especially the woman in the forest...I thought...christ, have I just indirectly shot Clementine's mother?!? As far as I can see though, you can't save this woman, and it turned out she was just a nut anyway, right? I liked Larry, he was to me the character that was most likely to show a change of personality...it was a shame he went...I came down on his daughter (Lilly?)'s side....the people in the farmhouse instantly struck my superstition and I sort of wondered if they'd follow the cannibal route - reminded me of the couple that Denzl Washington and Mila Kunis meet in Book of Eli. Fantastic. But yeah I was disappointed that I didn't get to save Larry...!
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 11-Jul-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: afAV
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Similar thoughts to slick and symph...

Was that Clem's mother? Probably not, but there was a bit there where I was thinking "woah! wtf?!" I too tried to save Larry - believing it to be the right thing to do - at least give it a shot, and if not and he comes back then give him the salt lick treatment ... I try to side with Kenny, but he keeps pushing in a direction that I ultimately don't want to go down, or he moves in a direction that isn't the way I'd go on something even though the outcome will essentially be the same. Lilly's got a right sour puss on all the time, but I couldn't help but side with her more in this episode.

When I saw they were locked in a room with Larry - and knowing of his weak heart - I did wonder if they'd have him keel over and pose a threat, and sure enough, hehe.

The dairy farm folks almost immediately had me suspecting them, and I figured it'd be cannibalism - so that was predictable, but nevertheless, the reveal was still rather good.

United States
    this game is boss. found the 2nd episode a bit predictable, but still highly enjoyable. anybody on the fence should just shell out 5 bucks and give it a shot.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    whole things on sale on steam, $15 for all 5 episodes, $3 an episode is a steal!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    whole things on sale on steam, $15 for all 5 episodes, $3 an episode is a steal!
    You can buy them like that, even though episodes 3-5 aren't out yet?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Yeah on steam its called like a season pass or something, i paid like £20 and then whenever i open steam on my mac and theres a new one out it just auto downloads it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Zero Punctuation gives the game a review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...4-Walking-Dead

Administrator

England
    ^^ That was awesome! I think they liked it? Sort of!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ That was awesome! I think they liked it? Sort of!
    Are you familiar with Zero Punctuation reviews, Neil? They're often quite negative/ranty, so this one is actually a pretty darn good result. Surprising though that the guy has no real knowledge of the comic or TV show.