Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As usual, right after I buy something, a new version is announced!

Creepshow Collectors Edition

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

We are proud (and so unbelievably excited) to reveal today that we are prepping to release the classic George A. Romero and Stephen King 1982 anthology CREEPSHOW this Fall in an all-new upgraded presentation! Because we feel this is a rather huge and beloved title, we are rolling this out a little more uniquely so please read carefully for all the details that we have at the time.

• Naturally, this will be branded as a “Collector’s Edition” but packaged a bit differently than we have done in the past for other CEs. This will come with a rigid slipcover (like what we did with the deluxe version release of Nightbreed) that will house a Blu-ray case and a collectible booklet featuring a new essay from Michael Gingold (Fangoria, Rue-Morgue, Dellirium). The newly-commissioned artwork pictured on the slipcase is from Laz Marquez (Army of Darkness, The Howling and Lifeforce steelbooks).

• The Blu-ray case wrap inside will be reversible featuring original theatrical artwork on both sides. (The “ticket booth” one and the “Comic book” one.)

• New extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced later in September. Rest-assured we have plenty planned and…we are in progress of doing an all-new film transfer!

• This will be the national release which streets on October 23rd. U.S. and Canada territories (Region A).

THE FOLLOWING INFO BELOW REFERS TO THE EXCLUSIVE LIMITED-EDITION WEBSITE OFFER (ONLY 1,500 AVAILABLE):

• If you order Creepshow from our site directly you will receive the Blu-ray two weeks early and the following exclusively-made-for us items:
    • A rolled 28.5” x 16.5” lithograph poster of the slipcase art
    by Laz Marquez
    • A rolled 18” x 24” poster of alternative art illustration, also
    by Laz Marquez

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah that's a common occurance.

I watched Death Smiles on a Murderer two weeks on Youtube a few weeks before Arrow announced it was releasing it on Bluray. Would have rather waited.

I bought the old NoShame version of The Case of the Scorpions Tail just so I'd have the film itself. Never watched it and now the BluRay is out in two weeks. (I'd already seen it)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I watched Death Smiles on a Murderer two weeks on Youtube a few weeks before Arrow announced it was releasing it on Bluray. Would have rather waited.

I bought the old NoShame version of The Case of the Scorpions Tail just so I'd have the film itself. Never watched it and now the BluRay is out in two weeks. (I'd already seen it)
    Yeah, it ain't half annoying when they announce a sweet new release after you've just bought an older one, isn't it? No sooner had I bought a DVD of The 'Burbs than the spiffy Arrow Video release was announced. Fortunately I'd only spent a pittance on said DVD and later got the Blu-Ray on sale, so it worked out alright.

Another thing I hate is buying something full price on release (or shortly thereafter) only to see it about 3 months later on a sale, but you can never really predict what's going to end up on a sale or not, so it's a gamble, but I have picked up some excellent releases at bargain prices, or been able to spend only a little (instead of full whack) on a curio title (e.g. Hell of the Living Dead - I'd have been ruing a full price purchase of that, but six quid? Nah, that's alright.)

1) "Death Smiles on a Murderer" - what's it like? I'm kinda interested in getting it, but what's your view on it?

2) "The Case of the Scorpion's Tail" - I think I've got that same edition on DVD, although I got it a couple of years back. I'd like to get the Blu-Ray, but I'll wait for a sale. Not long after I imported the out-of-print DVD of "What Have You Done To Solange?" the Arrow Video restoration was announced.

I see that Arrow will be releasing another giallo - "The Pyjama Girl Case" - sometime soon. I'm interested in that one. IIRC it's set in Australia, unusually enough.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The “word on the street” is that shout/scream are going to announce a definitive complete box set of the Nightmafe on Elm Street series at Comic Con in about a week. Yet another title I just recently purchased! But if they’ve given the full series a good set, I’ll be all over that one...

It’s also strongly rumored that they have the rights to Poltergeist and Beetlejuice, two big titles that are long overdue for proper releases.

Super Moderator

UK
    I had my eye on a boxset of the ANOES films on Blu-Ray a while back, but never got it - now I'll wait to see if we get a better edition over here as a result of this rumour. I'm not mad keen on the ANOES series, but I enjoy most of them (likewise with Halloween - although I'd say I'm more into Halloween than ANOES). The Jason movies, on the other hand, I'm mad keen for that franchise.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Scream Factory just keeps on announcing new ones everyday!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Scream Factory just keeps on announcing new ones everyday!

That was the best of the demon movies. Cool make-up, FX (the old-fashioned conventional ones, no cartoonish CGI), and creepy atmosphere (it was shot in an actual abandoned mansion which, unfortunately, no longer exists.) Stooge, Sal and Suzanne had the funniest lines in the whole movie.

The remake was way inferior to the original, as usual.
    Last edited by JDP; 06-Jul-2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’m not too familiar with the Demons series, so I didn’t even know that a remake existed. This release seems like a good blind purchase. I also love that it comes with a NECA figure(pictured on right), which is pretty rare for Scream Factory’s releases. I can only recall one prior release that came with this, which was “Silent Night, Deadly Night”.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) "Death Smiles on a Murderer" - what's it like? I'm kinda interested in getting it, but what's your view on it?

2) "The Case of the Scorpion's Tail" - I think I've got that same edition on DVD, although I got it a couple of years back. I'd like to get the Blu-Ray, but I'll wait for a sale. Not long after I imported the out-of-print DVD of "What Have You Done To Solange?" the Arrow Video restoration was announced.

I see that Arrow will be releasing another giallo - "The Pyjama Girl Case" - sometime soon. I'm interested in that one. IIRC it's set in Australia, unusually enough.
    Death Smiles on a Murderer is poetic trash - but still trash. It's not stylishly shot and the sets are rubbish. Some of the supposedly frightening hauntings or killings are really badly edited together montages that do not make sense. The story would also have been better if all the cards were on the table from the start, rather than saving the explanation for the final minutes. Having said that it's got something. I find that giallos (and this is a borderline giallo) work best when there's a touch of sorrow to them them. Revenge for emotional betrayal of that kind. In that department it does deliver.

The Pyjama Girl Case is a rather slow and sad giallo. It's not bloody and all. Instead it focuses on one particular murder and the ensuing detective story. There's a paralell story too that develops in tandem with the murder case which mirrors the murder. It's a very good film but feels much more serious that the standard of the genre.

Super Moderator

UK
    Death Smiles on a Murderer is poetic trash - but still trash. It's not stylishly shot and the sets are rubbish. Some of the supposedly frightening hauntings or killings are really badly edited together montages that do not make sense. The story would also have been better if all the cards were on the table from the start, rather than saving the explanation for the final minutes. Having said that it's got something. I find that giallos (and this is a borderline giallo) work best when there's a touch of sorrow to them them. Revenge for emotional betrayal of that kind. In that department it does deliver.

The Pyjama Girl Case is a rather slow and sad giallo. It's not bloody and all. Instead it focuses on one particular murder and the ensuing detective story. There's a paralell story too that develops in tandem with the murder case which mirrors the murder. It's a very good film but feels much more serious that the standard of the genre.
    Interesting. I reckon I'll wait for them to appear on a sale, then, and that should give a good 'cost-to-enjoyment' ratio.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Interesting. I reckon I'll wait for them to appear on a sale, then, and that should give a good 'cost-to-enjoyment' ratio.
    Good idea. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail is top notch tho. Also knowing the twist ending I'm looking forward to rewatching it with new eyes.

Super Moderator

UK
    Good idea. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail is top notch tho. Also knowing the twist ending I'm looking forward to rewatching it with new eyes.
    While I've got Scorpion's Tail on DVD, it's been a while since I saw it and I've totally forgotten the ending. So whenever I get around to re-watching it I'll be able to enjoy it like the first time.

Will see if the Arrow Video Blu-Ray comes to a sale sometime soon after it's release as sometimes happens (e.g. Evil Ed was in a sale only 2 or 3 months after its release).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Jul-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Slither

Picked up Scream Factory’s CE of James Gunn’s first directorial effort. I imagine everyone has seen it here, but it’s a great throwback to classic zombie/gore/etc films of the 80’s. Scream did a great job with the transfers and added a handful of new features, including a new commentary with Gunn, Rooker, and Fillion, which is a fun retrospective sort of “party”. I wish Scream had edited the featurettes into one continuing documentary, but it’s reslly a minor gripe with a fantastic release. Everyone here needs this film in their collections and this is the best version, for sure.

Now diving into the Criterion release of Repo Man!

- - - Updated - - -

Repo Man: Criterion Collection

As usual with Criterion, the picture and audio quality is very impressive. I’d mostly known this film from TV broadcasts, so this transfer is like an all new film. Also has commentary, various interviews, round table discussions, and also features the TV Version, which is much more necessary when compared to the Anubis edit on their Night release. Here, there are completely alternate takes, scenes, and omissions, all edited for TV by the film’s Writer/Director Alex Cox. Any fan of 80’s cinema needs this one in their collection. A complete blast from start to finish.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Jul-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Candyman is getting the Arrow Video treatment (UK only, it seems) come October:

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
    • Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original negative and supervised and approved by writer-director Bernard Rose and director of photography Anthony B. Richmond
    • 5.1 DTS-HD MA and Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 Audio
    • Optional English subtitles
    • Exclusive packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
    • 6 Lobby Card reproductions
    • Reversible fold-out poster featuring two artworks
    • Fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
    • Limited Edition perfect-bound booklet reproducing the original hand-painted storyboards by Bernard Rose
    • Brand new audio commentary with writer-director Bernard Rose and actor Tony Todd
    • Brand new audio commentary with Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
    • Be My Victim – a brand new interview with Tony Todd
    • It Was Always You, Helen – a brand new interview with Virginia Madsen
    • The Writing on the Wall: The Production Design of Candyman – a brand new interview with production designer Jane Ann Stewart
    • Forbidden Flesh: The Makeup FX of Candyman – brand new interviews with special makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Gary J. Tunnicliffe and Mark Coulier
    • A Story to Tell: Clive Barker’s “The Forbidden” – writer Douglas E. Winter on Clive Barker’s seminal Books of Blood and Candyman’s source story, “The Forbidden”
    • Urban Legend: Unwrapping Candyman – a critical analysis of the film with writers Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Three rarely-seen Bernard Rose short films, newly restored in HD: Looking at Alice (30 mins, 1978), A Bomb With No Name on It (3 mins, 1976), The Wreckers (5 mins)
    Had I not just recently seen this on telly I'd have been pre-ordering it straight away, but that sated my desire for the film for a spell - although it is an excellent film, no doubt. Perhaps I'd get it on sale, or on the inevitable re-release with basic packaging. By the looks of this one it'll be akin to the recent deluxe release for Last House on the Left (so it'd be £20 or £25, probably). Kinda tempted, still...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Jul-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    With Shout/Scream Factory having announced that they’ll reveal 10 big titles at Comic Con, a fan asked if our beloved Dawn of the Dead could be one of them, this is their response:

Originally Posted by Scream Factory

Sorry but we can tell you right now that DAWN OF THE DEAD 1978 is not one of the titles. We've tried to get it and could not work out a deal with the licensor.
    F*ckin greedy Rubenstein! Shout would likely give us the multiple-edit release we’ve been asking for.
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Jul-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: .