Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Apes" - Planet of the Apes prequel

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When did opinion become fact and why didn't anyone tell me?!?

Last edited by bassman; 05-Jan-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: .

United States
    You seriously think CGI looks better than makeup effects?
    This looks way more convincing than what nerdy CG artists could ever dream of doing.

Undisclosed
    That pic looks like it had the photoshop treatment. Anyone?

United States
    Photoshop? No. Kazuhiro Tsuji does not need photoshop.......
    Nice try

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    That pic looks like it had the photoshop treatment. Anyone?
    Yeah....I actually thought it was straight CGI.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Jan-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: .

United States
    It is a silicone bust

Administrator

England
    And this is somehow less realistic to you?

Im not a fan of CGI when its done badly at all but when its done well, you gotta admit it.

United States
    Are you insane? You think that cartoon looks good? Takes me out of the movie. I can tell right away what is CGI and what is real. Maybe it is bc I have been doing makeup effects since I was 11. To me, the picture above looks embarrassing. CG can't be done well imo. It is just as shitty as stop motion.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    Are you insane? You think that cartoon looks good? Takes me out of the movie. I can tell right away what is CGI and what is real. Maybe it is bc I have been doing makeup effects since I was 11. To me, the picture above looks embarrassing. CG can't be done well imo. It is just as shitty as stop motion.
    Which is an entirely different area of effects, so rein it in kiddo.
    Stop Animation filled in some gaps, in it's time, where practical couldn't have worked as well, or was too cost prohibitive, and it was never meant to substitute for Real Life.

Top Notch Animatronics can get pretty close, oftimes through misdistraction, and some of the tethered walking creatures are really cool, but too often there is still a hesitation in response which negates the perfect illusion you're claiming.

Makeup is great, but if a human is trying to substitute for another species, even a primate, you have to really kill on the posture and movement. Of course we also have this great thing called Suspension of Disbelief.

Oh, and one of the greatest makeup artists, this fella named - Lon Chaney?(the senior, of course. ) did more with grease paint and simple facial contortions in any age, than the most elaborate prosthetics, so just back down on the superiority, son.

Wayne Z
    "I'm getting too old for this shit. " and "Hey Kids! Get off My lawn! "

United States
    I don't see what point you are trying to make. Do you work on movies or are you just a fan? Have you ever worked on fx for movies?

-- -------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Better than the most elaborate prosthetics? He was a god but his makeups were surpassed. I can tell you are an idiot based on that one comment. Don't talk about shit you don't know about......son

Undisclosed
    I don't see what point you are trying to make. Do you work on movies or are you just a fan? Have you ever worked on fx for movies?

-- -------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Better than the most elaborate prosthetics? He was a god but his makeups were surpassed. I can tell you are an idiot based on that one comment. Don't talk about shit you don't know about......son
    How to answer this question to best address the issue, not the flamer.

I'm 50 plus years old, and yes I have an Art School education (mainly in illustration ) and over the years have occasionally drawn a paycheck for my work. As for my love of film, for almost as long as I've been alive, while I am a fan (which isn't an insult )I've been one immersed in all aspects of the craft (from cinematography to scripting, matwork and makeup and music composition ) and I'm not afraid of new technology nor scornful of the older techniques either.
    Again, if you look to people like Peter Jackson or Spielberg, or FXs experts like Stan Winston (we'll miss him )they all have/had great regard for those who came before, and respect as well.

The idiocy comes from the lack of understanding ( or so it seems )that often simplicity can achieve the same ends as elaboration. only because it's not the details that matter but the naturalness of the relationship between the subject and it's environment. In Jurassic Park, for example, I mention the lake scene only because it allowed the animals to truly be animals, and when the one hadrosaur turns its head to look back -Whoa.

I had a similiar attitude( which was damn stupid and arrogant )when I was younger, ridiculing painted movie backdrops, both sky and cityscapes, until one day I actually bothered to take a good long look at real life. On many days, the horizon can appear quite flat and artifical. That was a wakeup call for me about presumption.

As for my comments about Lon Chaney, I stand by it, for the basic reason that if he'd had the available material we have today, the man of a thousand faces would happily use them, just like Jack Pierce would with the current prosthetics. The fact that they didn't, makes the end product all that more amazing.

Oh, and Michael Crichton had an interesting notion in the novel Jurassic Park about those who build upon Previous Technology, Biotechnology or even, in this instance, Movie Special Effects. The certain arrogance of some, they miss a huge chunk of the history, both the people and the building of a process - in which the current trends will someday be as antiquated as folks seem to think the older techniques are.

But still, the most innovative minds in the film business mix and match the best from all generations.
    That's what progress is.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    Don't talk about shit you don't know about......son
    Easy tiger! We're all on the same side here!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I really only dislike CGI when it takes the place of more realistic looking special effects, such as in the newer Star Wars films and in some parts of the LOTR trilogy. CGI has it's place and I see no problem with the apes in the new film really. I know they were special effects, but they were good and I can't really think of something that could realistically replace them. I rewatched Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes after seeing this one, and while the make-up is EXCELLENT they don't really look like modern day apes. Why? Because humans simply look physically different than apes. And that works in Tim Burton's film, because these apes have had some time to evolve, stand up straight and build a society. But it would look kinda weird in the newer one, where they're really just supposed to be modern day apes. You can't do that with make-up and suits and not make it look weird.

Also, on a different note, when I rewatched Tim Burton's version I realized what absolute shit it was. It's so bad. What were they thinking? Honestly. It's horrible.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

Also, on a different note, when I rewatched Tim Burton's version I realized what absolute shit it was. It's so bad. What were they thinking? Honestly. It's horrible.
    I also rewatched Burton's film recently. If you get the chance, listen to his commentary track. Particularly the last fifteen minutes or so. He tries to explain the ending to the movie, but it's really sad because you can tell he has NO IDEA what the ending means. He stumbles over his own words and basically mumbles the entire time saying it makes perfect sense to him, yet he never explains it. It's funny but really kinda sad....
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Jan-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Matt Reeves(Cloverfield, Let Me In) has signed on to replace Rupert Wyatt as the director of "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes". Although his remake of Let The Right One In is a touchy subject with genre fans, I think he seems like a good replacement.