Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No jokes in DC films? There were lots of jokes in the previous batman trilogy and Man of Steel. They may not be as plentiful as Marvel's more light hearted fare, but they were certainly there.

While I've always been more of a DC fan, I enjoy both Marvel and DC movie universes at the moment. Its nice that they both offer different looks at the genre. Marvel being more kid friendly, light hearted, and goofy, while DC takes a more serious "how would the world really react?" sort of angle.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Apr-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    o jokes in DC films? There were lots of jokes in the previous batman trilogy and Man of Steel. They may not be as plentiful as Marvel's more light hearted fare, but they were certainly there.

While I've always been more of a DC fan, I enjoy both Marvel and DC movie universes at the moment. Its nice that they both offer different looks at the genre. Marvel being more kid friendly, light hearted, and goofy, while DC takes a more serious "how would the world really react?" sort of angle.
    "lots of jokes" is a bit of a stretch.
    I think my problem with the DC films is that it's still about superheroes. For instance, i think Ben Afflecks costume looks ridiculous. So to have a dark film centered around something with that artstyle contrasts badly. I felt the same toward the end of Nolans trilogy. It worked in Batman Begins, even tho it's the worst of the films, because that's the darkest of the films. It's almost perpetual darkness. But in the two sequels, which take place in daytime as well, the gadgets come off very silly looking.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Some new looks at the film courtesy of Entertainment Weekly:

I really like how the three of them look together. They did a nice job creating the batman and wonder woman suits to feel appropriate next to superman's.

The article also mentions that batman's armored suit contains kryptonite, which should help non-comic fans be more accepting of it being a fair fight between the two.

Comic Con is next weekend and Warner Brothers/DC is said to have a major presentation and surprises. Marvel isn't presenting this year, so DC has a chance to blow the roof off of the convention center...

Administrator

England
    ^^ Fingers crossed... But I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a visual fest at the sake of story/emotion...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Fingers crossed... But I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a visual fest at the sake of story/emotion...
    That's generally what Snyder delivers, but I'm hoping the new writer will deliver something a bit deeper. In interviews, both Affleck and Eisenberg have said that the wonderful script is what drew them to the project, so here's hoping it delivers on what they've said! A well written story with Snyder's visuals would be a great piece of entertainment.
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jul-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's generally what Snyder delivers, but I'm hoping the new writer will deliver something a bit deeper. In interviews, both Affleck and Eisenberg have said that the wonderful script is what drew them to the project, so here's hoping it delivers on what they've said! A well written story with Snyder's visuals would be a great piece of entertainment.
    If we have any more cgi super fast super bouncy fights... I won't be happy...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Word has come out of comic con that Affleck will write and direct the next solo batman film, tentively scheduled for release in 2018 between the two parts of Justice League. Great news, IMO!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Word has come out of comic con that Affleck will write and direct the next solo batman film, tentively scheduled for release in 2018 between the two parts of Justice League. Great news, IMO!
    Agreed! His directorial efforts have been great - The Town, and Argo in particular - and he's won an Oscar for writing (albeit in a team), so this is good news. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it!

United States
    Wow, just saw the SDCC trailer, and that shit looked supertight.
    I'm giving Assfleck a bye on this one, so he better make daddy proud.
    Still not very sure how I feel about Jessie the Body Eisenberg as Lex, but he can't be any worse than Kevin Spacey.
    Lots of stuff in the trailer. I didn't even realize I was seeing Wonder Woman until I finally saw her in her fancy threads. I've only seen it twice, so I don't have it memorized or anything. I just wanted to post up how it initially hit me, which was pretty impressively hard.
    I did like MoS, so I want this to continue if they do it proper. I wish they'd semi lay off of getting bigger stars in some of the roles, though, especially when they balk at returning and mess it all up on me.
    I'm just ready, and wish they could churn stuff out a little faster. Three years between installments suck.

They also need to get it going with a new Green Lantern. I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvved Mark Strong as Sinestro. The coda with him gave me such high hopes for the future. Now it feels like ever getting an awesome Venom, and possibly Carnage, movie. Which is never...
    I know some people think we'll eventually burn out on superheroes, but I'd like to get some serious story told first.

Can't wait. Superman, yay!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Looking forward to an Affleck helmed Batman flick. Affleck seems like the kind of guy who could infuse some much needed humour into this story.
    I don't have high hopes for this film tho, mostly because of Snyder and Nolan's apparent decision to make it supergrimm.

Btw, I loved Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. But then again, I thought Superman Returns was a much better film that MoS.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Looking forward to an Affleck helmed Batman flick. Affleck seems like the kind of guy who could infuse some much needed humour into this story.
    I don't have high hopes for this film tho, mostly because of Snyder and Nolan's apparent decision to make it supergrimm.

Btw, I loved Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. But then again, I thought Superman Returns was a much better film that MoS.
    Preaching to the choir, sir. Especially about Spacey as Lex Luthor.

The SDCC trailer actually makes me less interested in Batman vs Superman. The scenes with Ma Kent telling her son 'You don't owe them a thing.' kind of left me cold. And while I love Diane Lane as an actress, damn that's anti-Kent when compared to 'You were sent here for a reason.' from the original Superman movies. I might still go see it; at least to check out Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by wayzim; 12-Jul-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: B'cuz

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post

They also need to get it going with a new Green Lantern. I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvved Mark Strong as Sinestro. The coda with him gave me such high hopes for the future. Now it feels like ever getting an awesome Venom, and possibly Carnage, movie. Which is never...
    I know some people think we'll eventually burn out on superheroes, but I'd like to get some serious story told first.
    I doubt we'll see Strong as Sinestro again. They announced at SDCC that Green Lantern will be rebooted by 2020 in "Green Lantern Corps". Rather than focus on one Lantern like the previous film, the DCCU version of Lantern will be more of the "space police" aspect.

As for the trailer, I love what we're seeing so far. The events of Man of Steel through Wayne's eyes, Supes on trial, multiple references to various comic arcs, dead Robin's suit sprayed by Joker(presumably Jason Todd - future Red Hood film?!?), I'm even sold on Eisenberg as Luthor.

Of course it looks great, but trailers have always been Snyder's forte.

United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqL8ZXUhyNA

(fans of it's always sunny in philadelphia will appreciate this)

@bassman: have you played the newest arkham knight game yet?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I peed a little once I realized where they were going with that video. Perfection!

No, I haven't played the new Arkham game. I don't have a Ps4 or Xbox1.