Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Banned User

United States
    Personally, I don't see Big Daddy as a representation of Osama Bin Laden--I think he's supposed to represent the angst of the Arab World as a whole, and the particulars in the film support this.

A couple of examples:

1. In life, he worked as a gas station attendant.
    2. When he decides to lead his fellow zombies against the humans, he travels west.
    3. Towards the end, when he goes after Kaufman (and just how the heck he knew that Kaufman was supposed to be the main bad guy, I'd like to know) he goes after him with a gas pump.

To me, along with a lot of other points, it's fairly obvious that the ghouls are meant to represent the Arabs in this one....

ViP

United States
    Big Daddy and the zombies represent the ****ed off Iraqi's who don't like unfamiliar soldiers (Riley and company) blowing up them and their houses.

Cholo represents Bin Laden. Cholo used to be on "our" side but Kauffman (who represents the US president, currently Bush) screws him over and this results in the "jihad".

Riley is the USA soldier who doesn't agree with what they are doing.

Charlie is the dumb soldier who is only there because he couldn't get a job at Burger King.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is starting to get good.

Iraqi or the common poor man no matter whom the zombies represent it does make for interesting debate. it still doesn't change the fact LOTD was mediocre.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's really open to any kind of interpretation. Same as lyrics in music.

The artist makes his/her own interpretation of the work and it reflects what it is they say or what they want to get across.

The listener/viewer takes that art and interprets it to believe whatever they feel it is and makes it more personal.

You can take a song that is written about the artist losing his/her lover and interpret it as something totally different just as you can take certain things that Romero wanted to do with "Land" and interpret them into something totally different.

It all depends on the viewer/listener, their experiences in life, and what the art means to them.

That's my theory on it anyway. I'm sure there are others that would agree.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    It's really open to any kind of interpretation. Same as lyrics in music.

The artist makes his/her own interpretation of the work and it reflects what it is they say or what they want to get across.

The listener/viewer takes that art and interprets it to believe whatever they feel it is and makes it more personal.

You can take a song that is written about the artist losing his/her lover and interpret it as something totally different just as you can take certain things that Romero wanted to do with "Land" and interpret them into something totally different.

It all depends on the viewer/listener, their experiences in life, and what the art means to them.

That's my theory on it anyway. I'm sure there are others that would agree.

OH, I couldn't have said it better myself. That's the one true beauty of art; the interpretation by every individual that veiws/listens to it. The key to this is, pay attention to what others have to say and don't be so closed minded about different interpretations. If someone believes that their "view" is the "only and correct" view, they miss out on alot (or all) of what the artist is trying to relay.

Banned User

United States
    No offense, bassman...but I always thought of that type of argument as a cop out. It's like saying "they just don't get it" or something.

If someone has a position, they should be able to prove it or defend it in a debate with points taken from the film, or book, or song...the same way we did in English class back in the day, when writing an essay or theme about a particular book.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    This is starting to get good.

Iraqi or the common poor man no matter whom the zombies represent it does make for interesting debate. it still doesn't change the fact LOTD was mediocre.
    My suggestion that the zombies represented the ****ed off Iraqi's was taken from a Romero quote, basically saying the same thing. The rest was my idea.

Yes, it was mediocre, but is aging better than I thought it would. It kills Day IMHO.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    My suggestion that the zombies represented the ****ed off Iraqi's was taken from a Romero quote, basically saying the same thing. The rest was my idea.

Yes, it was mediocre, but is aging better than I thought it would. It kills Day IMHO.
    Land beating day? You're kidding right? Please say you're kidding!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Land beating day? You're kidding right? Please say you're kidding!
    I effing hate Day of the Dead, always have. It didn't take much for Land to trump it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    No offense, bassman...but I always thought of that type of argument as a cop out. It's like saying "they just don't get it" or something.

If someone has a position, they should be able to prove it or defend it in a debate with points taken from the film, or book, or song...the same way we did in English class back in the day, when writing an essay or theme about a particular book.
    No dude, I'm not saying that Romero left it open ended so that people could make up whatever they want. I'm saying that Romero did what HE thought with the film as far as the social commentary goes but each individual that watches the film can take what THEY think out of it.

And it's definitely not a cop out. That's why I related it to lyrics. As a musician and fan of music, I know that interpretation to the individual is what it is all about. It can mean something totally different to other people but relating music and art to experiences in one's own life is what makes it special.

So in other words, you CAN defend your opinion on it because it is YOUR opinion on the commentary of the film but there is no perfect answer. Everyone will translate it differently.
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Mar-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I effing hate Day of the Dead, always have. It didn't take much for Land to trump it.
    Wow, I am quite shocked dude. I didn't realize you loathed Day of the Dead that much.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    oh wow! Day of the Dead is the BEST of the 4. IMO.

Banned User

United States
    If you think about it, GAR's zombie average isn't really as good as most people give him credit for.

He's had two home runs (NOTLD '68 and Dawn), two base hits (NOTLD '90 and Day), and one strike-out with Land....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Tom Savini directed "Night90", not Romero. He did re-write it but I would say that Savini probably had the most say on the final product.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    He's had two home runs (NOTLD '68 and Dawn), two base hits (NOTLD '90 and Day), and one strike-out with Land....
    No. Why no? Because I don't agree, and thus that is only your opinion.

The original three were all home-runs in by book, Land is a good flick. NOTLD 90 is not his film, and it's not very good either. Just the editing, pacing is a bit bad. But to my knowledge, Tom Savini was never educated as a director.