Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Wow. This movie was crappy.

Super Moderator

UK
    But GAR isn't always thanked in the credits, and nor is it a must-do, the filmmakers do it off their own back, and who is anyone to tell them they can't give props when they want to whomever they want?

Nor is it considered plagiarism if someone did a zed flick and didn't acknowledge GAR, they don't have to, and they might not have been inspired by his flicks, but as GAR's so synonymous with the genre, the dude who made the best zed flick of all time - Dawn of the Dead - it's incredibly likely that new zed filmmakers will be GAR fans, they'll dig his work, and they'd like to give a little shout-out.

What's wrong with that, nobody's forcing anybody, the filmmaker does it off their own back because they want to, what's the big deal?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah...it's just a little nod for past inspiration.

I can't remember the film title now, but I remember seeing a thanks to Orson Wells for Citizen Kane, but the film had absolutely nothing to do with Citizen Kane. So I don't think listing an inspiration means they had anything to do with the actual film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yeah...it's just a little nod for past inspiration.

I can't remember the film title now, but I remember seeing a thanks to Orson Wells for Citizen Kane, but the film had absolutely nothing to do with Citizen Kane. So I don't think listing an inspiration means they had anything to do with the actual film.
    In such a case it could be the film that inspired the filmmaker to get into filmmaking, perhaps.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    apologist

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post

And less we forget Matheson's I Am Legend, the book that directly inspired Romero ?
    nor should we forget the film "the last man on earth." i've always thought that the zombies in night were rather similar to the creatures in that flick with the exception of speaking. the way they move and look is similar.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I personally don't think Romero is the only one that can make dead films. He's just the one that gave the genre a purpose. While I agree that his last two efforts don't match up to the original trilogy, he's still the guy that took a simple subject and turned it into an everday event in everyone's life. He brought it to the front and said, "how WOULD or COULD we handle this?".

That is what I find interesting in his work. He took a certain genre of horror and asked what we were really afraid of. In the end...it's us. No matter how well we think we could or would handle it, we would f*ck ourselves over in the end. And that's the truth.

Imo, the true horror of Romero's creeping zombies are that they aren't the problem. By our own actions, we cause our demise. All the original films show this.

The fast zombies can provide a quick, "cat jumps out the window" scare moment, but Romero's films provide a feeling that can last beyond the credits and into everyday life.

I haven't seen every zombie film to date and that's okay. If someone were to make a zombie film that made sense, I would back it. I don't like most zombie films. I like films with meaning....not cheap scares that are forgotten within two seconds...
    Well said bassman

Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    nor should we forget the film "the last man on earth." i've always thought that the zombies in night were rather similar to the creatures in that flick with the exception of speaking. the way they move and look is similar.

Which of course was based on I Am Legend !
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But GAR isn't always thanked in the credits, and nor is it a must-do, the filmmakers do it off their own back, and who is anyone to tell them they can't give props when they want to whomever they want?

Nor is it considered plagiarism if someone did a zed flick and didn't acknowledge GAR, they don't have to, and they might not have been inspired by his flicks, but as GAR's so synonymous with the genre, the dude who made the best zed flick of all time - Dawn of the Dead - it's incredibly likely that new zed filmmakers will be GAR fans, they'll dig his work, and they'd like to give a little shout-out.

What's wrong with that, nobody's forcing anybody, the filmmaker does it off their own back because they want to, what's the big deal?
    There is no big deal at all. I agree with you here as well. I was just responding to homie who said that One MUST recognize GAR or else. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Millard Rausch View Post
    apologist
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Millard Rausch View Post
    Just because Gar's name is stamped on it

If you DARE make anything even remotely zombie related now you need the GAR seal of
    approval.
    I like how in the Masters of Horror episode
    Haekels Tale they saw fit to give him credit.
    As if it would be un-authorized plagiarism if they hadn't done so.
    Here's the quote I was reponding to.
    Last edited by clanglee; 12-Aug-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    Which of course was based on I Am Legend !
    uh, yeah, that's pretty well common knowledge.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    In many ways it's a shame that GAR became so synonymous with zombies. Not only did it limit his career but it also made it so that any other filmmaker entering the zombie genre had to contend with the GAR legacy.

Night was nowhere near the only zombie movie that came out in that time period. In my opinion Night & especially Dawn were more about redefining survival horror then they were about redefining zombies. That's the aspect that took them to the higher level compared to their horror peers. Yet you don't see filmmakers compared with GAR simply for turning out survival horror.

I wonder if Bram Stoker's knob got a GAR style polishing back in the day when all the classic horror movies were coming out in his wake. My opinion is also that Matheson's knob hasn't gotten the due attention it deserved either. All these guys deserve the shiniest knob's around in my opinion.
    Last edited by Trin; 12-Aug-2008 at 08:48 PM.

United States

"How many Dicks was that?"
    "A lot!!"

United States
    I think that if I made a romantic comedy film, and even though the film has nothing to do with anything remotely about zombies. I would still put special thanks to GAR in the credits
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    I am among those who was sadly disappointed with Diary. I have watched it once-unheard of for me.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooddoctor View Post
    I am among those who was sadly disappointed with Diary. I have watched it once-unheard of for me.
    I must admit, I'm having trouble making myself watch it a second time
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Unlike Land, Diary actually gets worse with further viewings.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Unlike Land, Diary actually gets worse with further viewings.

It's true, I've watched this twice now, the second time was even worse than the first. I might not have enjoyed Land, but at least it's a proper zombie movie.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon