View Poll Results: Which do you prefer more?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Day

36 83.72%
  • Land

7 16.28%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Day or Land

Super Moderator

UK
    Legion - see this is what I'm saying, I wasn't too sure about that rumour that the R2 Dir Cut was actually just the Theatrical Cut by mistake. If the rumour was based off of running times, then it's bogus, cos on R1 it's something like 97 minutes, so that 4 minute difference is just going from PAL to NTSC.

Theatrical on PAL is something like 88 or 89 minutes I believe...so I think that rumour is indeed bogus, but was just saying it as I'd heard it, but wasn't too sure about it at all.

Anyway, non-zed GAR flicks that are good:

Season of the Witch - not perfect, but I actually quite enjoyed it.

There's Always Vanilla - haven't seen it yet, but I enjoyed the clips I've seen. It's on the newest Season of the Witch DVD. I'll get around to it sometime.

The Crazies - great low budget early GAR flick, a bunch of gubment drones in white chem suits and gas masks gunning down infected townspeople makes for a good GAR movie.

Martin - probably the best/one of the best non-zed GAR flicks, vampirism in the modern sense.

Creepshow - just awesomely good fun.

Knightriders - harder to get into, but clearly straight from GAR's heart regarding "the industry" and "selling out". Epic in length (something like 2 and a half to 2 and 3/4 hours if I remember correctly).

Monkey Shines - again, surprisingly enjoyable...and it's got a monkey in it!

The Dark Half - only watched it once, years ago, must watch it again...certainly not his best, but still worthwhile watching.

Bruiser - I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not horror, it's a thriller. It does lack some balls, but Peter Stormare is enjoyable as ever and it's an interesting look at identity...although the choice of song for the end credits is so utterly and completely wrong.

And that's about it I think, hope my rundown helps.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Season of the Witch - not perfect, but I actually quite enjoyed it.
    Question!: Is there really a witch in it?

There's Always Vanilla - haven't seen it yet, but I enjoyed the clips I've seen. It's on the newest Season of the Witch DVD. I'll get around to it sometime.
    Are the clips on youtube?

The Crazies - great low budget early GAR flick, a bunch of gubment drones in white chem suits and gas masks gunning down infected townspeople makes for a good GAR movie.
    I only saw the poster for this one and I'm already interested.

Martin - probably the best/one of the best non-zed GAR flicks, vampirism in the modern sense.
    Yeah I've heard

Creepshow - just awesomely good fun.
    Is it faithful to the stories?

Knightriders - harder to get into, but clearly straight from GAR's heart regarding "the industry" and "selling out". Epic in length (something like 2 and a half to 2 and 3/4 hours if I remember correctly).
    Wow long. Is Scott from Dawn really in this?

Monkey Shines - again, surprisingly enjoyable...and it's got a monkey in it!
    Nice to know that.

The Dark Half - only watched it once, years ago, must watch it again...certainly not his best, but still worthwhile watching.
    Ok.

Bruiser - I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not horror, it's a thriller. It does lack some balls, but Peter Stormare is enjoyable as ever and it's an interesting look at identity...although the choice of song for the end credits is so utterly and completely wrong.
    I've actually heard this is Romero's worst film ever.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Wow long. Is Scott from Dawn really in this?

I've actually heard this is Romero's worst film ever.

yes scott from dawn plays marhalt. knightriders is not one of my fav romero films by any stretch. way, way too talky and way overlong.

bruiser- i liked quite a bit not his worst at all. i think his worst would be the dark half or two evil eyes.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    I forgot to mention "Two Evil Eyes", I actually really like GAR's segment in it now, wasn't too keen on it originally and liked the Argento part more - then I re-watched it recently and switched my opinion. GAR's segment plays out like a Creepshow story, just a bit longer.

Also it's got that wicked gore effect of the sleeping bloke getting skewered in the gut, as seen on "Document of the Dead".

"Season of the Witch" is about a bored housewife getting into the whole wicka thing if I remember correctly, goes to see some woman who's all witch-crazy.

The clips of "Vanilla" are on the Night of the Living Dead Millennium Edition DVD.

"Creepshow" is awesome.

United States
    I forgot to mention "Two Evil Eyes", I actually really like GAR's segment in it now, wasn't too keen on it originally and liked the Argento part more - then I re-watched it recently and switched my opinion. GAR's segment plays out like a Creepshow story, just a bit longer.

Also it's got that wicked gore effect of the sleeping bloke getting skewered in the gut, as seen on "Document of the Dead".

"Season of the Witch" is about a bored housewife getting into the whole wicka thing if I remember correctly, goes to see some woman who's all witch-crazy.

The clips of "Vanilla" are on the Night of the Living Dead Millennium Edition DVD.

"Creepshow" is awesome.
    THANKS MR. MinionZombie! Your like the best member on this site. By the way I heard GAR's comments on Land's commentary are very negative and I'm pretty sure it's true, right?

Super Moderator

UK
    THANKS MR. MinionZombie! Your like the best member on this site. By the way I heard GAR's comments on Land's commentary are very negative and I'm pretty sure it's true, right?
    Why thank you, Doc.

I've listened to the Land commentary, don't remember it being that negative to be honest. I mean yes if I remember he does address that there were some problems, but doesn't really get into a slagging match...I'd have remembered that if he did.

As far as a GAR commentary though, not as good as some others he's done (mainly because it doesn't have the 'bunch of folk getting together for the first time in 10, 15, 20 years' vibe that the others do being retrospective DVDs and that)...but it's still a good GAR commentary nonetheless.

The commentary for Bruiser was annoying though, the volume on the film was so loud throughout it was stepping over the commentary...whoever authored it didn't get the levels right - so it was a reet pain in the bum to listen to for that technical issue.

I really do enjoy GAR commentaries though, you're almost 100% guaranteed a superb listen every time.

United States
    Do you know if the Land included in the Dawn remake and Land package is Region 1? I saw it today and was gonna get it, but wasn't sure.

Super Moderator

UK
    Do you know if the Land included in the Dawn remake and Land package is Region 1? I saw it today and was gonna get it, but wasn't sure.
    Well if you're in America and seeing it, then yeah it is cos that's your region over there.

As for whether it's the theatrical cut or the director's cut bundled with Dawn04, I've no idea.

Google or maybe DVDcompare.net might have the answer.

United States
    Well if you're in America and seeing it, then yeah it is cos that's your region over there.

As for whether it's the theatrical cut or the director's cut bundled with Dawn04, I've no idea.

Google or maybe DVDcompare.net might have the answer.
    Thanks man! That's why your the best!

Also looks like Day won. Although I'm not surprised.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    1. Day
    2. Dawn
    3. Night
    4. Land

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I feel DOTD was much better... just a classic... I like how the zombies possessed the power to rip people limb from limb, unlike the previous films. Bub's character was cool too. In Land, I like how Romero invited us to develop some feelings toward the zombies. You begin to feel sorry for them in a way. In a way they represent the "proletariat", the lower class, while the upper class reside in Fiddler's Green.

United States
    I thought the proletariat's were the humans living on the streets.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    I thought the proletariat's were the humans living on the streets.
    The zombies are as well, which again plays into the idea that Romero was putting out of there of 'they're us and we're them' - something he initially first grappled with overtly in the script for Night 1990.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The zombies are as well, which again plays into the idea that Romero was putting out of there of 'they're us and we're them' - something he initially first grappled with overtly in the script for Night 1990.
    initially with Night90? More like Dawn and Day, really...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    initially with Night90? More like Dawn and Day, really...
    Mmmm...I duno...the 'they're us and we're them' thing isn't a big part of Dawn, not beyond memories of the mall and basic understandings of say, a rifle ... okay it is part of Day what with Bub being trained, but it isn't as explicit as in Night90 or indeed Land. I guess that's more what I was meaning, it's really upfront and explicit.

Gimme a break, I was thinking of boobies at the time.