Page 116 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2590

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Drunk Wedding
    Done in the 'found footage' style, it's an American comedy about a rowdy bunch who head off to a Nicaraguan resort for a wedding. They're all given camcorders to tape their view on proceedings. Debauchery happens. I enjoyed it, although I've seen better American comedies in recent times. I did get one belter of a guffaw out of it at one point, mind you. More of an 'off the beaten path' type of indie flick that mixes docu-style with kinda bro-ish gross-out humour.

They Shall Not Grow Old
    Peter Jackson's WWI documentary. Absolutely superb. The colourisation works pretty well, even if there is a slight 'shimmer' to the edges at times, but what's truly wonderful is the restoration of the footage and the interpolation to make scratchy, damaged, juddery old footage look far more contemporary, which really breaks down the barrier of 'old tech'. The voice overs from actual WWI soldiers is neatly organised and tells a story throughout the film and the way the footage seagues from 'old and scratchy' to the more contemporary style once we hit the battlefield itself is really quite remarkable when it happens. The use of voice over artists, from the matching nationalities, to perform little bits of 'lip-read dialogue' from the footage is a neat touch, too. Very informative and eye opening. Hinky-dinky parlez-vous!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Have the Coen Brothers ever really made a BAD movie? I can’t think of one I disliked. This flick is definitely a much welcomed addition to their collection, as well. Six separate “chapters” set in the old west, some of which vary wildly in tone. The first few being humorous, while the rest settle into a tone more akin to the Coen’s earlier True Grit. Fun bit of trivia: lookout for a few direct references to Grit. Highly recommend this! On Netflix. 9/10

Sicario: Day of the Saldado

I’ll admit that I found myself expecting a letdown as I started this one. After Denis Vilenueve’s amazing first film, as well as him climbing my list of favorite living directors, I’d basically preconditioned myself to think this must be a cash-in. Thankfully, after the film began, it slipped away and I started to really enjoy it! The story really progresses Brolin and Deltoro’s characters from the first film. It’s not quite as inspiring as Vileneuve’s film, but is a very worthy follow up. 7/10
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Nov-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Nerve
    Dave Franco and Emma Roberts are a couple of young adults who partake in a the titular game, a strange sort of open source game of truth or dare - minus the truth part and only a series of escalating dares in exchange for money. It's very stylish (dig those neon hues and strip lighting) and has a sparky sense of fun to it until things take slighter darker turns into slightly more thriller territory. It's quite good fun all-round.

Father Figures
    I got 20 minutes in and gave up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Have the Coen Brothers ever really made a BAD movie? I can’t think of one I disliked. This flick is definitely a much welcomed addition to their collection, as well. Six separate “chapters” set in the old west, some of which vary wildly in tone. The first few being humorous, while the rest settle into a tone more akin to the Coen’s earlier True Grit. Fun bit of trivia: lookout for a few direct references to Grit. Highly recommend this! On Netflix. 9/10

I’ll admit that I found myself expecting a letdown as I started this one. After Denis Vilenueve’s amazing first film, as well as him climbing my list of favorite living directors, I’d basically preconditioned myself to think this must be a cash-in. Thankfully, after the film began, it slipped away and I started to really enjoy it! The story really progresses Brolin and Deltoro’s characters from the first film. It’s not quite as inspiring as Vileneuve’s film, but is a very worthy follow up. 7/10
    1) I've got this one on the To Do list, looking forward to it.

2) Glad to hear it. I'd heard a few mixed things, but then just as many - if not more - quite good things about it, so nice to hear some more good vibes about it. I must check that one out.

Ireland
    [B]

Still haven't seen the first one.

Gotta start chipping away on my own "to do list".
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Worth it for the soundtrack alone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Worth it for the soundtrack alone.
    Indeed. Johannson was doing some pretty amazing stuff with Vilineuve. I believe Arrival was one of his last scores before his premature death? It’s a shame.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Indeed. Johannson was doing some pretty amazing stuff with Vilineuve. I believe Arrival was one of his last scores before his premature death? It’s a shame.
    Another up and coming film composer died last year. Marcus Fjellström who composed the music to the series The Terror (and which was very good) died last fall.

Super Moderator

UK

Move Sicario up your list. It's proper good.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Move Sicario up your list. It's proper good.
    Oh lad, that list changes shape more than the Thing. It doesn't know what it is these days.

Just can't seem to find the time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A Star is Born(2018)
    It’s a good flick, but perhaps a bit overhyped. Gaga is good, Cooper more so, and it’s impressive as his first directorial effort. 7/10.

The Bill Murray Stories
    A documentary surrounding some now legendary public appearances by the actor. While Murray’s antics with his fans are enjoyable and humorous, the documentary tries to add some grand scheme or deeper meaning behind it all, which comes off a touch silly. 5/10

The Omega Man
    I still really enjoy this particular adaptation of Matheson’s I Am Legend. It’s not perfect and the cultural aspect tends to be a bit heavy handed in places, but it’s still tons of apocalyptic fun. I love the “groovy” score, too! 6/10

I also loved the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000(The Gauntlet). Mac and Me is the opener. Give them some love on Netflix. 9/10
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Dec-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Day of the Cobra
    Awesome italo-crime with Franco Nero beating people up in a rainsoaked Genoa.

Four Flies on Grey Velvet
    One of the lesser Argento's. But stylistically very interesting.

Pat Garett & Billy the Kid
    Boring and messy. Coburn's suit is slick.

Interrabang
    Wholly uninteresting. Possibly the only film I've ever fast forwarded in.

Il Consigliori
    Italo-crime gangsterfilm with tons of style, both in looks and sound. Recommended for anyone who wants some roman action. A super stylish Tomas Milian plays a mid-level mafioso who tries to leave the organisation but is instead drawn into a bloody turf war.

Roma Violenta
    Maurizio Merli beats up crooks. 50 minutes in he's already beaten up enough crooks that there's none left, so he leaves the police force. Instead he joins a neighborhood watch and keeps beating people up. It's awesome.

Suspicious Death of a Minor
    2nd viewing, Would recommend this to anyone. Silly italian police flick, but with plenty of heart and style.

Blazing Magnum
    Ditto, a rock solid italian crime flick set in Ontario. More punches thrown than any other film. Amazing film. (also known as Shadows in an Empty Room)

Halloween
    The new one. I liked it a lot. Soundtrack was great.

Lyrro
    Swedish comedy. Not funny.

Rabid Dogs
    Mario Bava helmed crimeflick set almost entirely in a car. Amazing!

The Untouchables
    We all know and love this one.

Fatal Frames
    Italian 90's giallo. Utterly absurd in it's aesthetic. Which makes it kind of fun.

The Island of Dr moreau
    70's version. Hadn't seen it before. It's alright.

La lama nel corpo
    I think the english title is "murder clinic". Slow burn giallo, set in the early 1900's.

Una Giornata Particolare
    Ettore Scola's masterpiece.

Silverado
    Boring and unengaging, but perhaps the best western from the 80's...

Aenigma
    Italian horror cheese.

The Great Alligator
    That croc doesn't really look that convincing.

Screamers
    Great fish-men type film. Alternative title; Island of the Fishmen. Would recommend!

Lady Frankenstein
    Interesting and gothic, but nothing really spectacular.

Black Sabbath
    Mario Bava anthology from the 60's. Very gothic and spooky, but next time I think I'll watch the Italian version. The american one is a bit dull.

The Stendahl Syndrome
    90's giallo by Argento. Not that interesting.

Lisa and the Devil
    I'm sorry Bava, but this one doesn't really do anything for me. I do like Telly Salavas tho.

Night of the Seagulls
    Ultra spooky spanish gothic zombie horror.

[B]Beck - Lockpojken[/B
    Beck - Mannen med Ikonerna
    Nordic noir (and uninteresting).

The Christmas Chronicle
    Kurt Russel as Santa Clause. It works!

Daddys Home 2
    Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg is a great duo. Mel Gibson and John Lithgow are perfectly cast.

Bridget Jones Diary
    I like it. It's cheesy but fun.

Mixed Nuts
    Horrible. What the fuck happened?

The Family Man
    Sentimental, but pretty damn good! Nicolas Cage doesn't spazz out tho, which is a shame.

A Christmas Story
    Hadn't seen this before. Cute loveletter to the babybooming, post-depression era growing middle class of the US.

Lethal Weapon
    Not as great as I remembered it. But solid.

Bad Moms 2
    HORRIBLE

Who killed the prosecutor and why?
    Uninteresting.

Night of the Skull
    Spanish gothic giallo by Jess Franco. Rather good!

Ireland
    Get a job, ya bum

Seriously, I don't think I've enough time in the year any more to watch that many films.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Get a job, ya bum

Seriously, I don't think I've enough time in the year any more to watch that many films.
    Well this is spread out over quite a bit of time.

But even so, yeah I watch a lot of film.

But I don't watch any TV-series so I guess it evens out?

Super Moderator

UK
    Blockers (aka 'Picture of a Rooster Blockers' aka Cock Blockers)
    Like with a lot of American comedies of the last decade there's far too many 'just state what is literally happening right now' jokes, and kinda lame gags that don't really fit. However, there are some good jokes in amongst it, but much of the characterisation beyond the central trio of parents feels rather lacking. There are some interesting comments made during the film - e.g. on the original double standard (not the new double standard, but the o.g. one whereby ladies weren't allowed to enjoy rumpy pumpy and other things), however much of that is expressed so bluntly and on-the-nose that it feels a bit '2018 eye rolly'. The movie could have used some more depth to the characterisation and some more subtlety in its deeper themes and it would have been better.

What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?
    One to check off the list. It's overlong at 2+ hours, and certain moments stretch credulity (Baby Jane's power over her sister needed to be embedded a little deeper, because sometimes you're just screaming for the sister to yell out her window or phone the police etc), but the central performances from Bette Davis and Joan Crawford are - of course - superb. Davis gets to have the most fun and goes big on screen, while Crawford gets the deeper and more subtle stuff to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Roma Violenta
    Maurizio Merli beats up crooks. 50 minutes in he's already beaten up enough crooks that there's none left, so he leaves the police force. Instead he joins a neighborhood watch and keeps beating people up. It's awesome.

Suspicious Death of a Minor
    2nd viewing, Would recommend this to anyone. Silly italian police flick, but with plenty of heart and style.

Rabid Dogs
    Mario Bava helmed crimeflick set almost entirely in a car. Amazing!

Aenigma
    Italian horror cheese.

Black Sabbath
    Mario Bava anthology from the 60's. Very gothic and spooky, but next time I think I'll watch the Italian version. The american one is a bit dull.

The Stendahl Syndrome
    90's giallo by Argento. Not that interesting.

Daddys Home 2
    Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg is a great duo. Mel Gibson and John Lithgow are perfectly cast.
    1) Sounds awesome! Maurizio Merli flingin' his fists about is full blown entertainment in-and-of-itself.

2) I've not seen this one yet, but I would quite like to.

3) I recall recommending this one to you sometime earlier in this thread, so glad you got around to seeing it. It's great, isn't it? To think that only just a couple of years prior Bava was stumbling with the likes of Baron Blood (trying to 'modernise' his horror by doing the same old gothic shtick, but with a chick in a mini skirt and the appearance of a Coca Cola machine!) and then boom, he does Rabid Dogs which couldn't have been more up-to-date and cutting edge. The film still works brilliantly all these decades later and feels quite fresh.

4) There's loads of interesting ideas in Aenigma, but it's a damn shame that the script is such an utter mess that it can never manage any of them well enough. Death by snails, though - even in his declinding years Fulci still had the ability to make the viewer squirm.

5) Yep, the Italian version of Black Sabbath is the one to go for. It's a damn shame that there doesn't seem to be an English language track for it (it's weird seeing Boris Karloff with an Italian dub coming out of his mouth). I've got the Arrow Video release and there's an excellent featurette that compares both versions, showing the difference in how scenes are edited, the sound effects, and music etc. Even how the dialogue was changed. The Italian version is decidedly superior.

6) I saw this ages ago on the Horror Channel. I recall it being thoroughly dull and it looked so meh. The 1990s felt so 'washed out' for Argento, as if all his creative juices had been sapped almost dry. He had a brief flicker with Sleepless, but like with The Card Player, Stendhal Syndrome offered an interesting idea but was let down by Argento's mellowing creative juices - and most importantly - the piss poor state of the Italian film industry at the time.

7) I kinda enjoyed the first, but the second was dog shit ... oof.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bad Times at the El Royale
    An enjoyable throwback to the mysteries and thrillers of old. Good film all around. 7/10

Halloween(2018)
    I’m still finding it hard to form a definitive opinion on this one. It’s better than just about all other sequels in the series, but it’s also not quite enough to be the epic return to form that fans had hoped for. I can see myself giving it more viewings and purchasing the blu ray to go alongside the box set, so I suppose that’s a good sign. 6/10

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    Set in the 50’s, this is the story of a mother and housewife that goes through a rough divorce and then decides to follow her passion of being a stand up comedian. Great comedy and drama ensues! I probably would have never watched this on my own decision, so I’m glad that multiple people kept telling me how great it is. On Amazon Prime. 9/10

Crashing
    Somewhat related to my previous entry, this follows a fictional version of Pete Holmes as he works the stand up circuit. Normally Holmes can grate on my nerves a little bit, but this show displays an entirely new side to the comedian. He’s become quite a good dramatic actor! I’m looking forward to the new season. On HBO. 9/10
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Dec-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: .