Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (film)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    found batman begins and the dark knight on blu ray for 10 bones each, watching them this week, and we've got advance tickets for friday night. very, very excited about this film, hoping it wraps us this series of films in a unforgettable fashion.
    At Wal Mart? The dvd's were $5, I thought the blu ray was less than $10, maybe $7.50, but don't remember. I don't have one so I thought about getting the dvd's just to add to the superhero collection. I also saw the first 2 Superman dvd's were going for $5. I may grab those too, finally. Tired of rerenting them at the store. I know it's only 49 cents but still...

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem +ve - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57048

"director Christopher Nolan and his team have delivered the grandest, most emotional and superheroic chapter in their Batman saga."

-- -------- Post added 19-Jul-2012 at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was 17-Jul-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

WOW! Stay clear of reviews/articles where people can comment!

This film seems to be dragging all the trolls on the planet out of their cages with loads of people seeming to think its cool posting spoilers in large letters in every comment/reply they can purely to f*ck up peoples experience! I'd ban people for such action!

Already seen this happening in two places so now have had a major spoiler thrust in my face by these cretins!

Don't make the same mistake as me!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Same thing happened to me, Neil. I stopped reading the reviews a few days ago and i'm avoiding most movie/batman sites. It's a shame people want to be like that.

But.....today's the day! I'm off to see the entire trilogy this afternoon. Can't wait. If i'm not too tired, I'll drop by with a mini SPOILER FREE review when I return home.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jul-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Rotten Tomatoes shuts down 'Batman' comments after death threats

Damn Bass, didn't know you posted at Rotten Tomatoes

Enjoy the viewing today, I'll probably not get around to seeing it till next weekend.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Nah....I love me some Batman, but those kinds of responses are just insane.

As is to be expected with this sort of film, there are also reviews that are intentionally very negative just to gain some attention. Rex Reed with the Observer gives the film the lowest possible rating and basically calls it garbage. Of course there will be people that genuinely don't like the film, but this guy just bashes it from beginning to end as if he went in WANTING to hate it. Which would probably make sense because he's often called Nolan one of the worst filmmakers of this generation. It's quite obvious that he was just trolling, but it's also quite funny...
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jul-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Sheesh, Rex Reed sounds like a bell end...

As for TDKR - I want to go and see it this week, but it's unbelievable how hard it is to scrounge up a couple of mates to go and see it at the cinema. I mean it's ludicrous - you send out a message and a week later you've still got sod all, and for one of the most anticipated movies of the year. All these people, constantly on their phones, but they never respond to any fucking messages - pisses me right the hell off.

Where was I? Oh aye, I want to see it this weekend, and hopefully I will, but who-the-hell-knows ... my generation sucks arse at getting even a casual arrangement together.

As for reviews - haven't read a single one yet. Comment trolls, negative nancies, etc etc etc put me off ... however I'll read Total Film's review, and listen to what Mark Kermode has to say, but other than that, it'll just be you HPOTD folks. I can't stand these nob'eds who make themselves feel better about their shitty little lives by spoiling a movie/tv show for other people ... or they're just so beligerant or ignorant that they just blunder through life never stopping to think before they open their greasy, fat maws, or lay clammy, chubby fingers to their iffy-smelling keyboard ... ... cock-ends, the lot of them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just to state it up front: NO SPOILERS BELOW

I've just returned from an extraordinary night at the theater watching the entire Chris Nolan Batman Trilogy. Where to begin?

First of all....if you're just a casual fan of these movies, I suggest watching the first two before viewing the third. While the second film(TDK) could possibly be viewed as a stand alone film, TDKR is most certainly a continuation of those that came before it.

To be completely honest, i'm left with a bit of a stale taste in my mouth. TDKR is certainly not your usual summer blockbuster, but I also didn't seem to connect with it like I did the previous two. With breath taking visuals and a story that still pulled me in, I just can't completely praise it - Yet. I feel like maybe more viewings can improve on this. Throughout the film I was often thinking, "that isn't needed", "that could be cut", "why?", etc. If you're familiar with the previous films, then you pretty much know what you're getting into. Nolan doesn't disapoint, but I think he probably had a few missteps along the way(as is to be expected with most films of this nature).

As it's late and i'm pretty tired, I'll leave this mini review with a few random thoughts:

- Bane's voice is NOT as I've heard. It seems much louder than before. To the point that it seems out of place with other on-screen dialogue.
    - Bale probably gives his best performance of the series. Where TDK felt more about the villains to some, this definitely feels like a Wayne/Batman story.
    - Nolan has improved on his fighting tenfold. These fights are easily visible and EXTREMELY brutal. As you may have read in reviews, the fights between Bane and Batman are almost worthy of Fight Club. I actually cringed once or twice.
    - Hathaway's Catwoman(never once referred to as that in the film) is amazing. I can say with confidence that the character has finally been given justice on-screen.
    - Hardy's Bane is the same as above. He's just as intelligent as he is brutal. Without being able to emote with his mouth, what this man does with his eyes and manerisms is amazing. My only complaint being his megaphone voice, which is probably a product of post production.
    - The supporting roles, as expected, are also great. Particularly from Michael Caine.
    - RISE is of course a major theme in this film. Relating back to Thomas Wayne's "Why do we fall, Bruce?" and also in many other areas.
    - As I did with The Tumbler and The Batpod, I want The Bat. As Gordon would say, "I gotta get me one of those!"
    - There is a certain twist to this movie, but most fans of the source material will see it coming from a mile away.
    - I can safely say that Nolan is the first to create a great superhero trilogy from start to finish. Not only that, but he made them all parts of a series that nicely tie into one complete story.
    - The ending left me in tears in more ways than one. This isn't a spoiler and it will be completely different for every viewer.

That's it for now. More thoughts as I digest it a bit more. This one will definitely deserve more viewings in theater.

Administrator

England
    Seeing it next Tue!

-- -------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes shuts down 'Batman' comments after death threats

Enjoy the viewing today, I'll probably not get around to seeing it till next weekend.
    As if backing up my comments in #167!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh man.....If this doesn't put a damper on TDKR's release, I don't know what does: Up to 20 people injured after a bombing/shooting at a TDKR screening in Colorado

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Hathaway was awesome. Only people who hate her specifically could fault the way her character could switch gears on a dime. Comic fans will never be happy since no female on this planet could fill out the cleavage of the comic character's costume while pulling off the athletics in any believable way.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    Hathaway was awesome. Only people who hate her specifically could fault the way her character could switch gears on a dime.
    That's the real character, though.

Comic fans will never be happy since no female on this planet could fill out the cleavage of the comic character's costume while pulling off the athletics in any believable way.
    Not all comic versions of the character include that cleavage. As a comic fan, I was very pleased with her. Not only her sex appeal, but her portrayal. Hathaway has definite sex appeal, but without the more obvious reasons. She shows it through her voice and body language. Not that he figure hurts it at all.
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Jul-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Excellent spoiler-free review, Bass! Just what I needed to go from just anticipating to psyched for the film.

And yeah, horrible, HORRIBLE event in Colorado.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Mark Kermode's spoiler-free review:

Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Jul-2012 at 11:42 AM.

United States
    saw this last night with the ladyfriend and her nephew. my expectations were kept in check, but i couldn't help get my hopes up as the lights dimmed that this film would deliver the goods....and i wasn't disappointed. i felt it was a perfect ending to the nolan bat-trilogy, and i left the theater feeling very satisfied, something that doesn't happen all that often when i watch movies these days.

the gf and i both agreed that we can't wait to see it again, probably while it's still in theaters. i will definitely be adding this one to the blu-ray collection.

i'd advise folks to re-watch batman begins and the dark knight as a refresher on the story thus far, but whatever you do, don't miss this one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The only thing I didn't like about the ending was....

The lady telling Blake that he should use his full name because 'Robin' is pretty. That felt entirely forced and out of place to me.

However, I like that this particular story ended yet left it open to continue. With a bit of luck, maybe Nolan will return years down the line and gives us The Dark Knight Returns? I doubt it, but it's still fun to think about.