Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption (incl. new Zombie DLC)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Anybody else having some screen problems with RDR? I'm no expert on the subject, but the game seems to be "jumpy". Instead of smooth camera pans and movements, i'm getting a sort of clipping jump every so often. GTAIV never had this problem.

Is this just a result of the large open world game, or do I need to pay to download some patch?
    Did someone say patch !?!

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...s-Patched.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That patch is for the online multiplayer problems. My problem is the twitchy screen.

United States
    well, i gave in to temptation...just got back from picking up my copy. will dive into it tonight and post a few impressions.

Undisclosed
    While I would love to get this game and play online I really do not want to pay 110+ dollars for one game.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    lol...it's not quite that much, Terran. I agree that gaming is becoming too expensive, but that's for another discussion.

If you're a fan of Rockstar's previous games or westerns in general, I'm fairly certain you won't be let down by RDR. At only a few hours i'm enjoying the hell out of it. The first western game that actually FEELS like a western.

Undisclosed
    lol...it's not quite that much, Terran. I agree that gaming is becoming too expensive, but that's for another discussion.

If you're a fan of Rockstar's previous games or westerns in general, I'm fairly certain you won't be let down by RDR. At only a few hours i'm enjoying the hell out of it. The first western game that actually FEELS like a western.
    Well the game is like 60 bucks and Xbox Live is another 50

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Well the game is like 60 bucks and Xbox Live is another 50
    Ah...yes. That's true.

I too don't have live, so to play the multiplayer on RDR I would have to pay for it. You have a point there. But I hate Live so i'm just sticking to the single player. If you're cool with the single player, you should enjoy this for the disc price.

Super Moderator

UK
    My copy just arrived in the post - will start it up later today.

I knew it was in the dying days of the Wild West, but even still I was a smidge surprised to see "1911" on the back ... but then I guess it makes sense ... I do recall seeing an "auto-mo-car" () in one brief shot ... and then I guess being 1911 it allows you to get your mits on the 1911 handgun.

Completed Alan Wake yesterday afternoon (spiffing game ), so I'm all cleared out and ready to go (aside from reading "The Alan Wake Files" book, the bonus disc videos were kick ass - lengthy docs, and a whole list of trailers and gameplay footage dating back to 2005 - fascinating how the game changed over the years).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I do recall seeing an "auto-mo-car" () in one brief shot ...
    There's a car seen within the first few minutes of the game. You don't get to drive it or anything, it's just being loaded from cargo with a crane.

One thing I didn't expect from this game is that you pick flowers. Seriously. I had a good chuckle about that.

"I just killt me a yella-bellied indjian and now i'm gonna have some whisk...... OHHHH look! Dandelions!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That patch is for the online multiplayer problems. My problem is the twitchy screen.
    I know. It's just funny how you mentioned a patch and they're releasing one to fix a problem for a game that hasn't been out 3 days.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I know. It's just funny how you mentioned a patch and they're releasing one to fix a problem for a game that hasn't been out 3 days.
    Well that doesn't help ME! So fuck off!

Seems to me that patches are a normal thing these days. The last few games i've purchased had patches. But for LIVE-less players like me....we don't get the improvements. Thanks gaming industry. Not only have you stuck it in....but you've also broken it off.

United States
    Well that doesn't help ME! So fuck off!

Seems to me that patches are a normal thing these days. The last few games i've purchased had patches. But for LIVE-less players like me....we don't get the improvements. Thanks gaming industry. Not only have you stuck it in....but you've also broken it off.
    Well how else are they supposed to get a patch out to players? It's been like this even for PC games back in the mid-90's. Silver members get all patches, so all you need is an internet connection.

Anyway, I love this game, and I'm taking my sweet ass time with it. Just collected the Deadly Assassin outfit and am now the most badass wrangler in all the land.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think we need a tutorial that explains what comes in the silver vs. gold packages.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Maybe i'm just old fashioned.... but completing, testing, and assuring a quality product is usually the stance that companies take. Quality companies anyway...

Now they rush the product to the market with the mindset of "oh....we can just fix it later."

EDIT: and yes i'm aware of the difference between gold and silver. My biggest problem is I can't hook up my 360 where it sits. And besides....you guys act like it's all free. I remember trying to get DLC on silver(when I had it) and it told me a needed Gold. Can't play online, can't get DLC, can't get netflix....what's the fucking point of silver? They con you into the gold if you want anything. The silver is just a gimmick....
    Last edited by bassman; 20-May-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've just played a couple of hours of RDR (I'm currently in Armadillo - done one mish for the Marshall, and one side mish that's set me off tracking some lady's boy), and ... let me sum my reaction by this:

*prances around like an exasperated tween outside the premiere of New Moon*

Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God...

*fans self with hands*

I had a brief go at it earlier this afternoon to just get it going and see what was what, and was a bit perturbed by the horse-mounted shooting, but I've gotten better at that - controlling the horses is a whole other ball game too. It's not like driving around in a car, it's like being on-foot ... but being on horse's foot ... so the control system needs a bit of getting used to on that.

I like also how the movement and looking control/feel has been tweaked from GTA IV, because it was always a bit fiddly in GTA IV - at times you were wrestling with the camera ("No! I wanna look THERE, not here!" or whatever), but it feels much, much nicer in RDR.

I'm in Armadillo now, as I'd said, and I've bought a room in the saloon with my earnings and lootings - was given a fright when all of a sudden a band of ... ... bandits ... ... blew through town dragging a man behind them. I was stunned into inaction, and then figured - wait a minute - BAD GUYS - so I hunted them down in a bit of scrub land just outside town and nailed them all, then looted their bodies.

Also, coming back from my first session tracking a person, I was like "woah, what's this" - 2 or 3 dudes hanging an innocent man from a tree!

I was charging full speed, so the horse controls got fudged a bit and I wasn't in time to save the hanging man, but did take out the baddies - then I turn around and there's a guy mourning the hanged man! ... ... then I shot the rope and the body fell (and I looted that too ) ... ... omfg.

Actually, on the way to tracking that person I mentioned before, I saved a guy from two men and he gave me a treasure map.

Played some five finger fillet, or whatever it's called, as well - there's SO MUCH TO DO AND SEE! This is seriously awesome, this world feels real (or as convincing a world as a videogame can give us ... it's not our world, but it's a world, you know?) and I'm so wrapped up in the atmosphere.

I thank the convincing nature of the game to allowing my to switch smoothly from Alan Wake to this game. I'd only recently properly gotten the vibe for Alan Wake in me, if that makes sense - you feel really comfortable with the game - and then I'd completed it, lol ... but so far RDR is boss-as-fuck!