Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Man Of Steel (film) - Directed by Zack Snyder

Administrator

England
    AICN likes it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62812

MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have been waiting for. Full of action, emotion, and spectacle, this is Zack Snyder’s finest work so far, and I prefer David Goyer’s work here to his work on Nolan’s Batman films. This was the harder job, by far – to make Superman relevant again, and to give him life beyond the page. It is true to the comics, to the films, to everything we love about this character. When I dreamed of heroes as a child, dreamed of taking flight, I saw this movie in my mind’s eye. Zack Snyder has pulled from the dreams of millions of fans, and brought us something to cheer for. MAN OF STEEL soars on the winds of those visions.

Sequel put on fast track? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Man-S...ing-37981.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Keep in mind that they also announced a Green Lantern sequel about a week before the first film was released. I enjoyed GL for what it was, but I'm just saying that it's possible they "leak" the sequel production information in an attempt to drum up more publicity. I seem to remember Bryan Singer's Man of Steel being in production about a week before Superman Returns was released, as well.

Going to see the flick again tonight. The second viewing is always better for picking out the likes and dislikes, so i'll let you guys know what I think for the second time.

Administrator

England
    I'm seeing it next Tue...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Alright, two viewings down. It's definitely a solid Superman flick and a great way to launch the new franchise, but that's not to say it doesn't have it's issues. Although the cinematography is beautiful, it's often much too shakey imo. The fight scenes, while amazing in scale and ferocity, sometimes seem a bit too crowded and close like they did in Batman Begins. While the film never feels slow with it's 2.5 hour runtime, there are still some things that could have been trimmed here and there. Even though the final battle in Metropolis is amazing and we finally get to see Superman do some SERIOUS damage, it could have been shortened a bit. The big event that threatens earth, while beautifully set up in the film, is a bit of a "hmmmm" situation. Nothing major, but just felt a bit too easy.

A few things that I absolutely love:
    - Cavill is amazing in the title role. He totally sells it and you never once think of him as anything other than Superman.
    - The fight scenes are absolutely brutal. The trailers and tv spots barely touched the tip of the action iceberg. NOBODY should complain about a lack of action and the force of the Kryptonian's powers on Earth.
    - The flight scenes are amazing. Nearly all of it is the real actors, rather than the CGI character they used in Returns. They also did a lot of things with his power of flight that we've never seen on the big screen. For example, one thing I really loved is after being thrown and slammed into the ground on his belly, Superman doesn't stand up and then fly like they've done in the past, but just floats up in the lying position, turns about 90 degrees, then bolts off. I don't know why, but it really sold the idea of his powers and gave me goose bumps. There are several things like this throughout.
    - They incorporated several different story elements from some of Superman's best comics/novels. Superman fans can also notice several in-joke nods to the character's history. Including some more obvious ones like the name of a certain corporation on the side of a building under construction and a tanker truck.
    - While Russell Crowe is great as Jor El, Kevin Costner is the real winning father of the two. He sells a down-to-earth mid west father in a perfect way. Some of his scenes nearly bringing tears to my eyes.
    - Superman gets pissed! Although there have been a few angry moments in the past films, in MOS he's not afraid to scream at the top of his lungs and unleash complete fury. Including giving characters a beat down while screaming words at them with each hit. Real "f*ck yeah!!" moments for the men in the audience.
    - The military being afraid of Superman is a great angle to introduce the character into a more modern world. Throughout most of the movie Superman and Zod's crew are only referred to as "aliens". Superman gets no special treatment and the world views him as a huge threat, as I'm sure would happen in real life.
    - Amy Adams is solid as Lois Lane, but after a while she doesn't seem like Lois anymore. She ends up participating in a big way that kinda felt a bit off, but the acting is good, so it's no big deal.
    - Michael Shannon is the sh*t! That is all.

Anyway.....still processing it and will probably go back to see it again in 3D. My first two were 2D. I still say it's probably a little bit under Batman Begins. It has it's fair share of problems, but as long as you can take them for what they are and move on, it's a solid picture. Definitely a very solid Superman film considering all the crap the character's movies have suffered through in the last 25 or so years. If this doesn't please a majority of the movie going audiences, I'm not sure what will.

This final thought is something I vaguely mentioned in my original review, but didn't want to address because the movie was still a week or so away. Now that the film is officially out in North America, i'm going to put it in spoiler tags. This is one big issue I had with the alteration of Superman's history...

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Zod's death. It makes sense within the film and all, but I just don't think Kal should have snapped his neck like that. That generally goes against the character's history of no killing. However, it does make sense because he was saving the humans at the same time and Kal was obviously very distraught about it after the fact. I'm thinking it will probably be referenced in the sequels and he'll say that he'll never kill again. It was also a nice bit of symmetry because Zod killed Jor, so it's not a completely unwarranted moment.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Keep in mind that they also announced a Green Lantern sequel about a week before the first film was released. I enjoyed GL for what it was, but I'm just saying that it's possible they "leak" the sequel production information in an attempt to drum up more publicity. I seem to remember Bryan Singer's Man of Steel being in production about a week before Superman Returns was released, as well.
    I read a little while back that MoS was out pre-selling even the Avengers, so I bet this isn't the case here. I hope it makes tons. I'd like it to beat out Avatar, but I could live with it just knocking Titanic down a peg or ten...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I just got back from seeing it. I will say that time wizzed by like nobody's business. I also liked it alot.
    Somehow I got mixed up, so I ended up seeing it in 3D, but that only added $3 to the already low price of $5. I also got to avoid a gi-normous crowd of comic book nerds, although my theater was actually semi full for an 11:00 am showing.
    I can dig the new Superman, but I wasn't a big fan of Zod. They also really neglected his fun loving cohorts. I realize my opinions are tainted by my love for all things Terence Stamp, but that was pretty much my same/only gripe about Star Trek 2 and Khan/Montalban.
    Otherwise MoS was a pretty solid, visually pleasing movie. Was it superdeep? Nahhhhh. Did it have the fun slaphappiness of the originals? Nope, but it's definitely right up the old Dark Knight's dark and dreary alley.
    I can't say the 3D was worth it, either. I would've been much happier seeing it normal, but what're you gonna do?
    I still hope this makes a butt ton of moolah, but it seems all these rapid fire flicks kind of muffle out the flames of whatever was released a week or two before it. Blockbusters keep cancelling each other out...
    Either way, I like the new guy. Damn, he's buff!
    Last edited by rongravy; 15-Jun-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: look, up in da skizznizz!!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Best Superman film I've ever sat through. I think it's a better conceived narrative than the original film, even though no one can say the original Superman didn't blaze some cinematic trails. It has a few meandering points and maybe some overly long fight scenes (that are otherwise very well done), but overall....I think it was a great film that allowed the Superman mythos/feel/message to really resonate.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anyone catch some of the DC comics references? I hear there are more but these are the ones I spotted.

If interested, i'll put them in spoiler tags for those that haven't seen it yet...

- The satellite that Zod destroys has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it.
    - The tanker truck during the final battle has Lexcorp on the side.(Lex Luthor's corporation. Something that was avoided in previous films in favor of real estate schemes...)
    - There's a building under construction during the final battle that has Lexcorp on the side. Being that it was under construction, i'm assuming Lex will come into the sequel. Likely not as the main villain, just a prominent character.

I've just seen that MOS had already reached 56 million within it's first 24 hours of release and they're predicting it will probably be around 130 by the end of the weekend. Much higher than the studio's expectations. Judging by cinemascore the word of mouth has been mostly positive, despite some viewers disliking the film, so they're also thinking word of mouth will keep the film running well for a while. Looks like MOS2 is a given.

I also read that David Goyer has been assigned to start from scratch on a Justice League film that will come after a few more of the individual DC character films(including MOS2), so it looks like MOS may have saved DC/WB's problems with their comic films...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jun-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Disappointed...

*minor spoilers*

I found most of the film dull, contrived and pointless. I would suggest it's suffering from what a lot of these action flicks are suffering from at the moment - bigger explosion, followed by bigger explosion, following by bigger contrived reason for concern, followed by bigger explosion. The writing is poor and contrived and is there only to thread togethor a reason for the next big contrived concern and explosion...

After the tenth time a super hero was thrown through a building for no reason other than it looks cool, I actually laughed because it was so comically daft and dull.

I only laughed (groaned) louder when superman and Zod shot into space to fight and just happened to hit the satellite geostationary to them... space is big! what are the chances of that... But seemingly they're on a roll because when they fall all the way to Earth, where are they? Just tens of feet from Lois? Lois of course being in the exact place (along with the all major characters) Zod's ship just happened to choose to destroy first... Reeeeeallllllly? *groan*

Almost all the fights seem to revolve around what visual effects can be deployed rather than how they can be made interesting, or indeed even meritted to move the script along!

It's the same sort of problem I had with The Avengers, but that film had far more soul and interest to it than this animal.

If we compare this to Superman or Superman 2, sure it has far superior effects, but I have to say those two films have far more interest, depth, intrigue and character!

If we compare this to any of the Batman films, they absolutely beat Man Of Steel to a pulp IMHO! Why? Because they have stronger scripts and characters and events you can invest in.

6/10
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    hehe....I expected no less from you.

Administrator

England
    I know you enjoyed it... Sorry...

But to me all the qualities that made the first two Batman films and first two Spiderman films so solid and engaging were almost totally devoid from Man Of Steel... Couple of nice moments in there, but the rest was contrived action at the expense of plot and characters...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Disappointed...
    Oh dear....

Ireland
    It's the same sort of problem I had with The Avengers, but that film had far more soul and interest to it than this animal
    Jesus...that bad eh?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    I too knew how Neil would weigh in on the topic. Neil, you're even correct in some of your assertions though you do always make negative presumptions to thing s that don't happen to make sense to you. If space is so big and ramming the satellite by mistake so unlikely, why do you assume it happened by chance? The two kryptonians were wacking each other against everything on earth, why not in space?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know you enjoyed it... Sorry...

But to me all the qualities that made the first two Batman films and first two Spiderman films so solid and engaging were almost totally devoid from Man Of Steel... Couple of nice moments in there, but the rest was contrived action at the expense of plot and characters...
    Nah, I'm just pulling your leg.

That was actually one of my biggest concerns as well. That and the shaky camera work and the constant crash zooms. To be fair, one of the biggest complaints about Superman Returns(which I still enjoy) was that there wasn't enough physical action from this character with incredible strength, so I think they were kinda obligated to put a good bit in there. And it fit with the combination of these multiple Kryptonians fighting together on Earth. I too think it could have used some trimming in those areas, but I also think the film had a good bit of heart in it. Jor-El, Jonathan and Martha Kent, Kal's own conflict between his home world and adoptive world, etc. I would definitely say the action was a bit too much but also think they came pretty darn close to balancing it out. Perhaps it's something that can be improved upon in the sequels?

I think the sum of it's positives outweigh the sum of it's negatives. Without comparing it to any other comic films, I would think it's still safe to say it's the best Superman film since Donner's original.

Super Moderator

United States
    My only problem with the fight scenes were they were so long and, as with most Superman movies, so much of the fighting and action seemed pointless due to mega-invulnerability. This sort of happens in most super hero films, but when Superman can literally take just about anything it's more of an issue for he fight scenes, in my mind.

That said, they did a good job with a really hard to write for character premise.