Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Zombieland - A film with Woody Harrelson

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Different stokes, I guess. Shaun is a movie that takes itself seriously and the outbreak is very much part of the story, but ZL is more of a comedy that just happens to be taking place during the end of the world.

You could take out the zombies in ZL and replace them with any other pandemic or monster or whatever and it would still be the same movie.

And I don't think the character's actions are intended to be a driving part of the film. I mean....one character's motivation is to get a twinky. A twinky. Another's is to rub a girls hair behind her ear. And another's is to go to an amusement park. You were expecting a deep character study here?

It's a whacky comedy. Complaining about the character's actions is like complaining that the gopher looked fake in Caddyshack or the time travel in Austin Powers should have created a time paradox...
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Oct-2009 at 12:52 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Different stokes, I guess. Shaun is a movie that takes itself seriously and the outbreak is very much part of the story, but ZL is more of a comedy that just happens to be taking place during the end of the world.

You could take out the zombies in ZL and replace them with any other pandemic or monster or whatever and it would still be the same movie.

And I don't think the character's actions are intended to be a driving part of the film. I mean....one character's motivation is to get a twinky. A twinky. Another's is to rub a girls hair behind her ear. And another's is to go to an amusement park. You were expecting a deep character study here?

It's a whacky comedy. Complaining about the character's actions is like complaining that the gopher looked fake in Caddyshack or the time travel in Austin Powers should have created a time paradox...
    Indeed. . . well said!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Interesting you say that Bassman, because I was thinking about this last night, and there is a lot of deep character stuff in the movie.

For example:

The big one being finding out that Tallahassee isn't mourning the loss of a puppy (which, at that point in the film, was a kind of cute loss for the character - but one you could still respect) - but instead mourning the loss of his own little boy - is just so unexpected and just hits you like a ton of bricks, but is still perfectly handled and balanced with moments of comedy.

The introduction of Wichita and Little Rock is well played too - except of course we know that LR isn't dying of a zombie bite because of all the trailers and clips they pimped everywhere - but even still, that's a well handled segment of the film too - how all the characters react and interplay before it becomes evident that it's a set-up.

Indeed, looking back on that scene when you find out Tallahassee is mourning his child rather than a puppy as you'd been led to believe, the context completely changes and there's a whole new dynamic.

Likewise when they're all on the road travelling and Tallahassee and Little Rock are talking about various things, it's a father/daughter dynamic that becomes all the more powerful as a result of hindsight when you discover T's loss of a child.

There's also an interesting family dynamic, of sorts, with all four of them together. Columbus' character is interesting in that he's a sort of nervous shut-in that has to survive in this world, and because of all his up-tight foilbles he has.

As for Wichita, she's interesting as this sort of con artist on the outside, but really sexy girl-next-door 'girl every guy wants' chick, who is struggling to weigh surviving with living.

Administrator

England
    Seeing it tonight...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Interesting you say that Bassman, because I was thinking about this last night, and there is a lot of deep character stuff in the movie.
    I wouldn't really consider any of that to be deep. It was all just kinda tossed in there for a laugh or to get to another laugh, imo. Example: "Haven't cried like that since Titanic" or "No she has to have the wig on. THEN she's Hannah Montana"

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't really consider any of that to be deep. It was all just kinda tossed in there for a laugh or to get to another laugh, imo. Example: "Haven't cried like that since Titanic" or "No she has to have the wig on. THEN she's Hannah Montana"
    Not really fair those examples, you're just taking the little jokey lines thrown in to ease the balance back from going to a dark, serious, moving place. So those examples aren't the deep stuff, that's the pin prick to pop the baloon before it all gets too off course in one direction or the other.

The "haven't cried like that since Titanic" line is funny, and perfectly rebalances the mood after a very stunning, sudden turn in the story - that moment, as one example, is what I mean by the deeper character stuff going on.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The "haven't cried like that since Titanic" line is funny, and perfectly rebalances the mood after a very stunning, sudden turn in the story - that moment, as one example, is what I mean by the deeper character stuff going on.
    I just didn't find it a stunning turn at all. It was just to set up the titanic line, in my eyes. It lasts for a total of what....20 seconds?

Super Moderator

UK
    I just didn't find it a stunning turn at all. It was just to set up the titanic line, in my eyes. It lasts for a total of what....20 seconds?
    Set up for that line?!

No way man, Tallahasse's mourning is set up early on in the movie, way before that line is even said.

What on earth have you been smoking? You're making no sense, man!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Set up for that line?!

No way man, Tallahasse's mourning is set up early on in the movie, way before that line is even said.

What on earth have you been smoking? You're making no sense, man!
    I think i'm making perfect sense. The quick recap of "you know who" was just to make the hard ass cry. Then in turn, he could say the titanic line. They replaced a dog with the real thing. In a 20 second flashback. Not real moving, imo...

United States
    I was actually quite moved by that scene myself. And I didn't really see it coming, which was nice. In no way did I see it as just set up for that line. . . It was a quick touch at a dark spot of the character's past. . . then it was alieviated by that Titanic line. But the funny line does not discount the depth of the scene. I agree with MZ on this one Bass. . . you are smoking the wacky tobacky!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I was actually quite moved by that scene myself. And I didn't really see it coming, which was nice. In no way did I see it as just set up for that line. . . It was a quick touch at a dark spot of the character's past. . . then it was alieviated by that Titanic line. But the funny line does not discount the depth of the scene. I agree with MZ on this one Bass. . . you are smoking the wacky tobacky!!
    *Agreeing-with-MZ five!*

Administrator

England
    Yes yes yes yes! Loved it!

Daft in places... Contrived in places... But fun in most places...

ps: It has a sort of feeling to it, that maybe there will be an DVD version with some extra scenes in... Don't know why. Just my Spider sense is tingling!?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I agree with MZ on this one Bass. . . you are smoking the wacky tobacky!!
    "Bunch a yo-yo's!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes yes yes yes! Loved it!

Daft in places... Contrived in places... But fun in most places...

ps: It has a sort of feeling to it, that maybe there will be an DVD version with some extra scenes in... Don't know why. Just my Spider sense is tingling!?!

I'll place a bet with you on that as well. Movies like this always seem to come through with good extras, which, let's face it is almost a prerequisite for big dvd/blu ray sales. They have to justify the $25 pricetag somehow you know.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Canada

I enjoyed it second time around. My sons enjoyed it alot and said it was fun. They all agreed that the scene where we find out that Talahassee's dog is really his son was kind of disturbing. They wondered if the little boy was lost or the zombies got him (they hoped for lost). They also hoped that he would be found in the sequel. Food for thought? More character development? Hmmm.

*spoiler hidden by MZ*
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Oct-2009 at 10:35 AM.