Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (film)

Undisclosed
    Man I'm so looking forward to this but will have to wait another three day before it gets released over here. GRRRRRRR; Avoiding spoilers like the plague.
    I don't expect TDK all over again but a fitting end to the trilogy would be nice and from what I hear Nolan pulled it off.
    That would make it the first superhero-series to actually get it right: the superman series went to hell after the second one, Spidey the same, Burton only did two Batman films, not a fan of the recent marvel videogame action fests ...

Fingers hurting from keeping 'em crossed!

United States
    I seened it. Although I'm sure it'll have a hefty pull for all the weekend, I think it'll fall far short of its predecessor. I actually believe Spiderman was wayyyyyy better. I'll go into details once everybody and their grandma has seen it but I'll just say I had a hard time staying awake. That is after I got tired of wondering where Batman was...
    I get what they were trying to do, yes, but you gotta break out the BAT a little more than they did.
    I will definitely see it again once it hits the cheapies, but I'm saddened that Spiderman will take a hit for releasing first. This was no better than the last one.
    Maybe I just need another viewing...

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw it yesterday afternoon, and promptly fangasm'd all over the shop...

MZ's SPOILER-FREE review of The Dark Knight Rises

Undisclosed
    Does Batman growl in this movie?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Does Batman growl in this movie?
    Of course, it's a continuation of the same story. But it's not as heavy as it was in the second film, imo.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jul-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Saw it last night. Left feeling I'd seen a good quality 'Batman' flick! Personally it didn't seem as 'tight' in production or script as its predecessors IMHO, but still loved it.

What seemed to let it down for me was the script felt a bit messy at times, and also just a bit daft/contrived, of which I'll give some examples of below in the spoiler section. But overall, a great end to the trilogy and sits with them nicely. Bane was excellent!

So for me:-
    Batman Begins: 9/10
    The Dark Knight: 9/10
    Dark Knight Rises: 8/10

Oh, and as regards people comparing The Avengers to The Dark Knight Rises? I'd have to go with the latter, as for me there never seemed any concern or true menace in The Avengers; Ultimately you never real felt like any of the Avengers were in real trouble and were practically immortal. This clearly wasn't the case in Batman, with people certainly feeling vulnerable and generally more 'real'.

*SPOILER COMMENTS/QUESTIONS*

- Does Bruce need a walking stick or not? One minute he's falling over without it, the next he's running around fine?
    - His relationship with Miranda felt badly written. "Miranda's nice"... "Miranda's lovely" he's told... Then he finally meets her, and next moment they're kissing, doing the dirty and discussing running away togethor. Hmmm... Felt like a contrived element of the script.
    - All the weapons in Bruce's weapons department fall into Bane's hands... and... he uses three batmobiles?
    - A bus load of orphans under threat? For goodness sake Hollywood, been there, done that a zillion times! Cliche!
    - Gotham's been cut off for three months, and under the control of armed gangs, but all seems otherwise pretty fine on the streets of Gotham? Garbage is still being collected, by the looks of it, and these armed gangs are happy to leave everyone alone except for picking some people to go and walk on ice? Really?
    - 3000 police officers trapped underground? Why? Why not just kill them? Why leave them there only to escape?
    - 3000 police officers come out from underground after 3-4months, all clean shaven and looking well manicured?
    - 3000 police officers run at individuals armed to the teeth, and only 5 get shot? Surely it would be a blood bath in the front rows. Apparently not?
    - Can someone explain what they're looking at to deduce the autopilot was available on the Bat?

And now the biggy for me:-
    - So they want to destroy Gotham... So why not do that? They have a bomb? Why wait 3-4 months? Just press the damn button! Or would that make the film too short?

Anyway, these are minor niggles in the scheme of things... They just seemed to 'wobble' the film for me.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad you dug it Neil ... to be honest I was expecting you to come in all "oh dears" blazing, but anyway - I'll have a run-down of some of the points you made in your post...

- Does Bruce need a walking stick or not? One minute he's falling over without it, the next he's running around fine?

It's not that fast a transition. Plus, we see him get that leg brace thing which allows him to walk again - a legitimate querie would be when he was in the prison and didn't have the leg brace, from what I can remember - then his leg was fine without support.

- His relationship with Miranda felt badly written. "Miranda's nice"... "Miranda's lovely" he's told... Then he finally meets her, and next moment they're kissing, doing the dirty and discussing running away togethor. Hmmm... Felt like a contrived element of the script.

Rushed, perhaps, I did feel that Tate was somewhat given short shrift in the script, but an element could also be that it was a passionate thing - Bruce Wayne has taken a right old knocking. He's lost Alfred, he's lost Wayne Enterprises, and he's looking back over other losses at that moment - namely Rachel - and she initiates the kiss as I remember, and clearly it's part of her plan to weaken him into trusting her to take over Wayne Enterprises, and therefore gain access to the Fusion Reactor.

- All the weapons in Bruce's weapons department fall into Bane's hands... and... he uses three batmobiles?

True to an extent, but I didn't really notice 'not enough weapons being used' personally. I'd imagine they also half-inched various types of armour and machine guns and such things. However, the Tumbler is the most iconic of all the things there, so it's the broadest stroke with which to get across the point ... if that makes sense?

- A bus load of orphans under threat? For goodness sake Hollywood, been there, done that a zillion times! Cliche!

Perhaps, but it's also connected to the story. Bruce Wayne is an orphan, John Blake is an orphan, and the latter remains connected to that charity as he grew up there, and doesn't like to see the 16+ year olds get kicked out and end up in the sewers. So naturally he's going to try and save the orphans there in the lead-up to the bomb going off, which he fails at, but fortunately that doesn't end in disaster for him ... then, with BW gone, his now rebuilt home becomes a new orphan shelter, which ties full circle with Bruce Wayne as the Billionaire Orphan, and was a nice way to tie up the Wayne Manor thread. Now - speaking of John Blake, how Blake knew Wayne was Batman never really convinced me - the whole 'you had the anger of an orphan' thing never really worked out. I was initially expecting him to say he was the little kid with the rowing parents in Batman Begins who sees Batman on the fire escape, and then Batman tosses him that gadget and flies off ... but no, the explanation given there didn't convince me at the time, but again, not a show stopper by any means, like all of these minor quibbles.

- Gotham's been cut off for three months, and under the control of armed gangs, but all seems otherwise pretty fine on the streets of Gotham? Garbage is still being collected, by the looks of it, and these armed gangs are happy to leave everyone alone except for picking some people to go and walk on ice? Really?

It's a terrorist occupation, and public services can still operate while under occupation. Paris didn't become a crumbling open sewer when the Nazi's occupied it. As for those getting "Exile or Death by Exile", they're clearly public figures, rich folks, and perceived 'enemies of the state' as judged by this terrorist regime as part of their house cleaning. You see the rich getting torn from their homes, and at one point you see the waste-ridden former homes of the rich, and Selina Kyle (with her blonde tag-along) in one of them. Blondie is totally into it, but Selina Kyle recognises that this was the home of a family when she looks at the shattered picture. There's clearly areas of waste around, and desperation, even though they're getting aid drops by the government IIRC ... clearly it's dangerous to be out on the streets, but not against the new law.

- 3000 police officers trapped underground? Why? Why not just kill them? Why leave them there only to escape?

I believe that was explained by Bane. They were giving them aid, but keeping them there. Part of a public relations exercise - in Bane's twisted way - he's not going to kill a few thousand cops and expect to win over Gotham's hearts and minds, even though he is dangling a bomb over their heads (while keeping secret that it'll go off anyway in a few weeks/months). This issue was addressed in the movie.

- 3000 police officers come out from underground after 3-4months, all clean shaven and looking well manicured?

A legitimate quibble - I thought the same thing. They looked a bit dusty, but it wasn't exactly the Chilean Miners, was it? Even their uniforms weren't that mucky.

- 3000 police officers run at individuals armed to the teeth, and only 5 get shot? Surely it would be a blood bath in the front rows. Apparently not?

More than five got shot.

- Can someone explain what they're looking at to deduce the autopilot was available on the Bat?

Summut to do with computers, innit.

- So they want to destroy Gotham... So why not do that? They have a bomb? Why wait 3-4 months? Just press the damn button! Or would that make the film too short?

Again, IIRC, this was dealed with in the movie - it's all about breaking Gotham's spirit and pulling them right down to the very ground before wasting the whole place. It's about making them suffer, and making a big show of it to the rest of the nation/world. Make them suffer and struggle before pushing the button. Plus, Bane doesn't just shoot Bruce Wayne in the prison, he leaves him there to let him watch Gotham crumble under Bane's might to break his spirit and make him suffer too - but naturally, that part of Bane's plan doesn't work out.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Jul-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Administrator

England
    Yes... I did enjoy it... But I did feel there was a better film in there trying to get out!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

It's not that fast a transition. Plus, we see him get that leg brace thing which allows him to walk again - a legitimate querie would be when he was in the prison and didn't have the leg brace, from what I can remember - then his leg was fine without support.

Yes - The prison seemed to knock this issue home for me. Knee(s) all fine now!

True to an extent, but I didn't really notice 'not enough weapons being used' personally. I'd imagine they also half-inched various types of armour and machine guns and such things. However, the Tumbler is the most iconic of all the things there, so it's the broadest stroke with which to get across the point ... if that makes sense?

Guess so, but they made such an effort to get in there, and then seemingly only used one thing to their advantage?

More than five got shot.

Not really... Nothing that really gave the impression of a crowd of people running onto dozens of individuals with automatic weapons etc...

Summut to do with computers, innit.

LOL! We're back into Jurassic park, "It's a UNIX system" territory

Again, IIRC, this was dealed with in the movie - it's all about breaking Gotham's spirit and pulling them right down to the very ground before wasting the whole place. It's about making them suffer, and making a big show of it to the rest of the nation/world. Make them suffer and struggle before pushing the button. Plus, Bane doesn't just shoot Bruce Wayne in the prison, he leaves him there to let him watch Gotham crumble under Bane's might to break his spirit and make him suffer too - but naturally, that part of Bane's plan doesn't work out.

OK... I can sort of buy this. Maybe I'll pick up on this more with a second viewing...
    ps: The audio seemed a little off to me at times? In a couple of places audio/dialog seemed very quiet!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Regarding the computers situation:

I'd assume that they were assessing the on-board computer, and they made specific mention of a "patch" that fixed the Auto-Pilot system, as applied by Bruce Wayne. So it'd just be a straight-forward on-board computer.

In terms of audio - at times I did think the soundtrack (as awesome as it was/is) was a bit overbearing. I can imagine my Dad having a few problems at certain points in the movie trying to decipher/hear moments of dialogue (that I'm fine for hearing, but can see as being problematic for older ears). Bane's voice however, wasn't too big of a problem - sometimes I had no idea what he was saying (as if I was listening to the words from a point that wasn't quite at the start of the sentence, so you're not quite sure what you're hearing, if that makes sense?) - but I was glad to see that major speeches to do with the plot were clear.

I'd have to say Tom Hardy did a bang-up job as Bane, and his choice of vocal performance was really memorable.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I never had an issue with the soundtrack/dialogue being too low. My only complaint in those departments was that Bane's voice was TOO LOUD. Non-masked characters would sound normal, then Bane would start speaking and it sounded like he was on a loud speaker!

Super Moderator

UK
    Maybe he's got a loud speaker in his muzzle?

Administrator

England
    Regarding the computers situation:

I'd assume that they were assessing the on-board computer, and they made specific mention of a "patch" that fixed the Auto-Pilot system, as applied by Bruce Wayne. So it'd just be a straight-forward on-board computer.

But the onboard computer was nuked... literally... So I wasn't quite sure what they were looking at?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    sometimes I had no idea what he was saying (as if I was listening to the words from a point that wasn't quite at the start of the sentence, so you're not quite sure what you're hearing, if that makes sense?)
    Absolutely. I have that same problem with the wife.

On a serious note, there seems to be a lot of complaints about the incoherence of Bane's voice in this film.

-- -------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I never had an issue with the soundtrack/dialogue being too low. My only complaint in those departments was that Bane's voice was TOO LOUD. Non-masked characters would sound normal, then Bane would start speaking and it sounded like he was on a loud speaker!
    His goes up to 11.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

But the onboard computer was nuked... literally... So I wasn't quite sure what they were looking at?
    There were two bats in the hanger/armory at the beginning. Fox had maintenance crews doing diagnostics and repairs on the recovered systems.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    There were two bats in the hanger/armory at the beginning. Fox had maintenance crews doing diagnostics and repairs on the recovered systems.

What's that got to do with the nuked Bat?
    -Carl Sagan