View Poll Results: What did you think of Survival of the Dead?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it.

19 13.01%
  • Liked It.

53 36.30%
  • Meh, neither here nor there.

25 17.12%
  • Disappointed.

29 19.86%
  • Hated it.

20 13.70%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who **have seen** Survival of the Dead - - - opinion poll!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You've also got to consider the passage of time. Opinions can change as time goes on. Some people could see Survival for the first time and think "hey, that wasn't too bad!", but after letting it simmer for a while and maybe giving it extra viewings, their opinion of the film starts to drop. This also works both ways.

When I first saw Diary I thought it was good. Then I watched it some more and started to very much dislike it. The same goes for Survival. When I first saw it I liked it and while I now don't dislike it as much as Diary, it's also dropped on my personal charts a bit.

Land is the only one that's stayed constant and maybe even climbed a few notches. Which is odd considering how it divided these boards. I honestly expected it to drop, but I'm still digging it....
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Jan-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Not me, senor. I saw Survival first time, thought "... okay... I forget, was there anything good in there?"
    Second time, "... nope! Oh well..."
    Just me, a'course.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The polls do have some blatantly contradictory results. For example, more people voted Liked or better for Survival than did for Land. So comparing separate polls shows that Survival was better liked than Land.
    Perhaps this simply demostrates there are many people here with a sense of perspective.

Super Moderator

UK
    Or the polls could be entirely independent of one-another.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Or the polls could be entirely independent of one-another.
    What a concept!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    No need for the smiley, Gryph. Your avatar there works juuuust fine...

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    My local Blockbuster was going out of business, so I managed to pick up "Diary" and "Survival" for five dollars a piece. Must say, "Diary" still hasn't grown on me at all. Just a real heavy-handed tough slog of a movie to sit through. As for "Survival"...the concept of "the Hatfields vs. McCoys with zombies" has a quirky charm, but the execution remains poor. Muldoon and O'Flynn are prolly George's most colorful characters since Kaufman and Captain Rhodes. Kenneth Welsh makes the movie for me. That emo twirp from Saw III remains the film's Big Daddy. When will somebody save George Romero from himself? Glad to finally add "Survival" to my collection. "Diary" isn't even worth five bucks.

United States
    Well,I liked it enough to say it was'Okay'. But clearly Not Romero's best what so ever. It had its good moments tho.
    "Some describe them as ordinary looking people,others say they appear to be in some kind of trance.....others describe them as mis-shapen monsters,and things that look like people,but act like animals...Some describe seeing victims that look as tho they have been torn apart!"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Where is the "This movie was a fucking joke " option? Didnt see that choice....

United States
    ^

( i like this guy already! )

United States
    Having just watched it for the first time just now I'll put my vote as "meh". It was better then Diary just for the fact that as least Survival is a film and not random bullshit tossed together, I *really* hated that flick.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    After viewing Survival a few more times, I still find that I like this film, however there are a couple of things that do bug me - flare gun/fire extinguisher kill/clumsy cgi and detestable waif boy notwithstanding.

I agree with those posters who have pointed out how ridiculous Sgt. Nicotine's overacting was at points, especially when he over-emotes in the armored truck. Don't know it it was bad direction, or maybe Sprang is an actor without much of a range. Still he is head and shoulders above all of the crappy acting in Diary, a film which has become over time to be my least favorite- primarily because I hated all the primary characters and thought that their acting was crap with the sole exception of the drunk professor - though I still do like that film all the same.

I am also beginning to think that there was a "They killed Kenny! You Bastards!!!" line that was probably filmed and later dropped.

Also, I think it was Blind that questioned the twin daughter angle --I agree with him and this still does not seem to make much sense to me. After thinking it over, I am beginning to believe that maybe this twin stuff was written in later and that initially there was only supposed to be one daughter, but for some reason - maybe a continuity error or something else- they decided to explain away the issue by making her a twin. The entire twin angle does seem way too clumsy and makes things so weird and complicated that there must have been a reason for it.

I do also agree that the attack on the rednecks at the beginning was a little awkward too, and they have my sympathies. I think a little more could have been done to make it seem that they deserved to be executed since it seems too severe if all they were being taken down for was mistreatment of ghouls. Yeah, I get that one of them went for a weapon, but still it could have been better done.

I still do not have a problem with the humor though - actually still like the bits, however over the top they were.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    As much, as people loathe Romero's recent films I can't help but, think they'll be just like the Star Wars Prequels. Sure we don't like them, but the hate will die with this generation. Just like no kids hate the SW prequels, I doubt future generations of Dead fans are gonna have the high expectations, and hopes we did when these were coming out. I'm not saying they won't be criticized, but I doubt we will ever get future fans going batshit over the latter films.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    After viewing Survival a few more times, I still find that I like this film, however there are a couple of things that do bug me - flare gun/fire extinguisher kill/clumsy cgi and detestable waif boy notwithstanding.
    The mass feeding frenzy at the end really bugs me. The farmhand opening the gate and letting the deadheads out after being shot is too similar to Miguel in Day of the Dead. Also, George plagarizes himself when Muldoon at one point explains how "he keeps the people fed on the island and employed." It's pratically the same speech Kaufman gives in Land about "providing games and booze to the people." Again, where's the quality control?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I totally forgot they called 'em 'Deadheads', probably about three times as bad as 'Stenches'!
    So what, only Grateful Dead fans can be zombies now? I just... grr...