Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

United States
    I did that on purpose, Sven. I'm not too fond of that movie. The only black and white movie I like is The Longest Day.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057
    The only black and white movie I like is The Longest Day.
    Good film. It's nice to hear someone bring it up. I think you're the only other person under 50 years of age I've ever seen reference it.

United States
    Well, its a film that usually doesn't get mentioned in a board about zombies and all things related.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx
    Well, its a film that usually doesn't get mentioned in a board about zombies and all things related.
    Riiiiiight. I was speaking generally, and not specifically about traffic on these boards, but then, you knew that already

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    THis thread is still going?

228 posts and over 2,000 views. I am impressed.

Banned User

United States
    What's interesting is:

By comparison, the "why people like Land of the Dead" thread got only 25 replies and 327 views...and this one got 229 responses and 2017 views!

Super Moderator

UK
    It's the thread that won't die, even if you put a bullet in it's head

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is the Return of the Living Dead type zombie of message board threads.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    i skimmed through here and there in this thread, and from someone who's a relatively young dead series fan...

What i really liked about seeing the original 3 was that they weren't like other action/horror movies. The characters had depth, when Ben died in the original, I was ****ed. When bub was sad at finding dr. frankenstien's dead body, i felt something.

In land, i just didn't care about the humans. I kinda felt bad when the poor people living on the streets got munched, but as for the main characters, as many said, they were cookie cutter characters. nothing new, nothing innovatitive and not up to par with gar's other creations.

Also, I (along with everyone here, i'm sure) had been looking forward to Land for a long time. with such high expectations from a small group of fans, how could the movie truly live up to expectations?

EDIT: And the title of the thread, about why we HATE LotD...despite several shortcomings, i still liked it. didn't love it, didn't hate it either. Honestly, out of everyone that had a couple negative comments on LotD, do you really HATE it? just curious.
    Last edited by Guido; 25-Apr-2006 at 02:32 AM.

United States
    I have to say, Guido, that when I first saw it I hated it. After consecutive viewings I'm more inclined to enjoy it now, but I still think it's the weakest of the 4.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Still hate it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    fair enough, haha....and i agree, it is the weakest of the quadrilogy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Weak is too nice a word for LOTD. The film is beyond weak. However, until I come up with a better word... weak will have to do!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Not to spew forth with the same sentiments about Land but... It was the dropping you right into the middle of an existing society of living that really messed with me.

In Night you had the main character - unaware of the impending doom - living her life in the world of the living by doing something that everyone does (yeah, I know going to a grave yard is not something that everyone does as often as she was said to have done in the movie but its something tangible that everyone can accept).

In Dawn (original) you had a swat team going into a building trying to save lives and then the developing of a new society holed up in a Mall for safety and food while trying to fend off looters and the dead. Another tangible feeling driven story.

Day (not one of my faves stuck to the same type of formula that Land was developed on) started with the dead already being established and the survivors/living trying to move on with their lives but not succeeding due to greed.

So the reason "I" hated Land was the simple lack of building up an interest in the characters and the completely unbelievable dialogue and interaction between the characters.

As an example Cholo taking dead reckoning and threatening to destroy the Green was rediculous. His character was supposed to be a hardened "I dont give a ****" guy that had many opportunities to kill kaufman and move on with his life. Instead he ran with his tail between his legs and bitched about money... money that would mean nothing to anyone that was living in the rest of the world. It was just rediculous - He had dead reckoning, he could have taken all the food and water they needed to survive and just go make a new life for him and his team. And kaufman and his Greenies would have been **** out of luck.

The movie had too many characters and too many "who cares about them" characters. I say more plot, less but more refined/believeable character's, and more zombie interaction with the living is what was needed... GAR lost his footing with this movie. I hope he is given the chance to work on another project.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn
    Not to spew forth with the same sentiments about Land but... It was the dropping you right into the middle of an existing society of living that really messed with me.

In Night you had the main character - unaware of the impending doom - living her life in the world of the living by doing something that everyone does (yeah, I know going to a grave yard is not something that everyone does as often as she was said to have done in the movie but its something tangible that everyone can accept).

In Dawn (original) you had a swat team going into a building trying to save lives and then the developing of a new society holed up in a Mall for safety and food while trying to fend off looters and the dead. Another tangible feeling driven story.

Day (not one of my faves stuck to the same type of formula that Land was developed on) started with the dead already being established and the survivors/living trying to move on with their lives but not succeeding due to greed.

So the reason "I" hated Land was the simple lack of building up an interest in the characters and the completely unbelievable dialogue and interaction between the characters.

As an example Cholo taking dead reckoning and threatening to destroy the Green was rediculous. His character was supposed to be a hardened "I dont give a ****" guy that had many opportunities to kill kaufman and move on with his life. Instead he ran with his tail between his legs and bitched about money... money that would mean nothing to anyone that was living in the rest of the world. It was just rediculous - He had dead reckoning, he could have taken all the food and water they needed to survive and just go make a new life for him and his team. And kaufman and his Greenies would have been **** out of luck.

The movie had too many characters and too many "who cares about them" characters. I say more plot, less but more refined/believeable character's, and more zombie interaction with the living is what was needed... GAR lost his footing with this movie. I hope he is given the chance to work on another project.

See, this man knows! Great post! Really great Post!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!