Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island (video game)

England
    What use is currency in a zombie epidemic on an island then? I would have thought it rendered useless! Anyway I've got the game on download from Steam now so I guess i'll find out later!

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    What use is currency in a zombie epidemic on an island then? I would have thought it rendered useless!
    Have you learned nothing from Land of the Dead?!!

Ireland
    What use is currency in a zombie epidemic on an island then? I would have thought it rendered useless! Anyway I've got the game on download from Steam now so I guess i'll find out later!
    It's just used as a points system really. It allows you to repair stuff and upgrade etc.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Well it finished downloading last night around midnight so despite having to be up for work at 6:30, I allowed myself an hour on it. Seems pretty good, I've turned a lot of the HUD options off which has improved the experience for me, although there is still too much on there, I'd like to turn the whole lot off if I could! Graphics are very pretty, and I needn't have been concerned about my PC not running it as it runs lightening fast on high settings, which says to me that the PC one is just a console conversion and hasn't been tailored specifically for the PC. The only thing that really annoyed me last night was that even though I thought I was playing a single player game, other players kept connecting to my game, then hassling me to help them on their quests. I'm sure its fun to play co-op, but I want to go through it on my own first to explore at my own pace, not getting rushed through it by impatient other players. I'll figure out a way to play offline tonight, didnt really have time last night. So far the zombies are great, there are runners but also a lot of shamblers, and they are genuinely threatening, I jumped out of my skin a couple of times when one managed to sneak up on me and grab me! Looking forward to further playing tonight now, I kind of just messed around and didnt complete any missions last night

Scotland
    Graphics are very pretty, and I needn't have been concerned about my PC not running it as it runs lightening fast on high settings, which says to me that the PC one is just a console conversion and hasn't been tailored specifically for the PC.
    It's generally the opposite with console conversions; games run really bad and graphics are all over the place. I've not seen the console version but I can tell this is not a conversion.

As for people joining you ingame you can turn that off in the settings, if you can get a mate (or 3) you join you though it means lots more zombies.

As for me I'm now in the city where shit gets real, gone thorugh another mini map of the sewers and completing lots (almost too many ) of side quests.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    At a desk, most definitely. I couldn't play with a kb/mouse combo on the couch well either!

For your particular situation, I can understand. Overall/generally, a mouse is 1000x more accurate than any analog stick. With my mouse, as Clint Eastwood once said, "I could put a bullet through a fleas' ass at 200 yards!" (Heartbreak Ridge, hoo-rah!)

I guess I like the mouse/kb because it's what I play most. I mean, yeah, it's odd I have this keyboard with 101 keys on it and I'm only using what, perhaps 25% of them? And I did grow up playing an Atari 2600 (a joystick with A SINGLE BUTTON!) so I guess I just got used to playing on the computer.

My son is actually pretty damn decent at playing FPS games like Halo and the like with an analog controller on his 360, but I just couldn't deal with pushing the analog stick to the left, only to find it went a tad further than I wanted, then bumping it back to the right too far, then trying to get it back left and.... <bam> I'm dead, 'cause while I'm trying to aim, some dick kid that's quicker than me (or got lucky) nailed me. ARGH!

Just once I'd like Microsoft to let the PC people play with the 360 people online. I have so many kids say, "Oh, even if they let us do that, I'd stomp you into the ground" Oh, REALLY? Just wait until that's allowed, and you'll see millions of kiddies on the 360's crying on their controllers 'cause they "can't beat the PC guys"

Now that we're talking about it, has anyone actually seen Dead Island on the PC first-hand??
    There's definitely no question its more accurate - comfortability is my first concern however.
    As I say I reckon there's a massive gap in the market to bridge the gap between kb/m and gamepad. Accuracy, as you have stated, is the key to FPS games.

On a side note, I plugged in my 360 controller and played an online game of Halo 2 PC and came out with 45 kills, 4 deaths, at the top of a 25 player game - the next person had 25 kills and 15 deaths. My gamepad walked all over them - mainly because they were all messing about with snipers whilst I was driving vehicles and using my agilty to avoid being shot...so it can work - just depends on the game. Battlefield? Nah!

I can confirm I am running Dead Island on a PC at the highest settings available. It's not remotely taxing my system whatsoever and I'd even go as far to say that Deus Ex is more taxing.

Compare to The Witcher 2 though, this game is a breeze -even my system won't pump our more than 25 fps at Ultra settings..!

anyway as for the game, its just short of brilliant...only just! it's a bit "gamey" don't you guys think? Like finding bottles of champagne and whiskey for characters in the middle of a zombie epidemic is a bit silly. That's literally my only complaint, is that it's not mature enough.

I am playing this in co-op only - we are just finishing up Act 1 - haven't got to the city part yet, can't wait!
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 14-Sep-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: weqwe
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Ireland
    Well it finished downloading last night around midnight so despite having to be up for work at 6:30, I allowed myself an hour on it. Seems pretty good, I've turned a lot of the HUD options off which has improved the experience for me, although there is still too much on there, I'd like to turn the whole lot off if I could! Graphics are very pretty, and I needn't have been concerned about my PC not running it as it runs lightening fast on high settings, which says to me that the PC one is just a console conversion and hasn't been tailored specifically for the PC. The only thing that really annoyed me last night was that even though I thought I was playing a single player game, other players kept connecting to my game, then hassling me to help them on their quests. I'm sure its fun to play co-op, but I want to go through it on my own first to explore at my own pace, not getting rushed through it by impatient other players. I'll figure out a way to play offline tonight, didnt really have time last night. So far the zombies are great, there are runners but also a lot of shamblers, and they are genuinely threatening, I jumped out of my skin a couple of times when one managed to sneak up on me and grab me! Looking forward to further playing tonight now, I kind of just messed around and didnt complete any missions last night
    In the "onlne" settings you can set your game to "Single Player". That'll get rid of the messages.

There are some mods out there that will get rid of the HUD, if you want.

I'm in the city at the moment and it's as spooky as feck. You really have to watch out everywhere.

It's turning into a really great game. Cannot believe 'Edge' magazine gave this 3/10. What the hell?

The only bad guys that are silly though are the "ram guys". I don't what they're doing in the game.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

There are some mods out there that will get rid of the HUD, if you want.
    I'll have to try that, its not game breaking but it just pops up endless messages or energy bars on screen at all times which spoils the immersion in my opinion by constantly reminding you that your playing a game. That aside though I was really enjoying playing it and it will definitely be getting some hammer over the next couple of months!

Ireland
    Most of those things you can get rid of in teh settings Tricky. Like enemy life bars and all that shite. I only have a basic minimap, my weapon health and my health on screen.

England
    Yeah enemy life bars & that XP thing were turned off before I even started the game, I'll play around a bit more with the settings tonight
    I tell you what I was bloody scared when I first went in that lifeguard station and got back into a dark corner by a few shamblers and one of those muscley zombies with only a half knackered bit of wood for protection moments like that are what survival horror games are all about!

Undisclosed
    I am at the lab,which is deep in the jungle. It is a 4th map. The zombie seems to get harder and more aggressive as I progress through the game. I am probably 80 % into the main story. I am stilling dreaming about zombies and hacking people up with a machete.

Ireland
    Yeah enemy life bars & that XP thing were turned off before I even started the game, I'll play around a bit more with the settings tonight
    I tell you what I was bloody scared when I first went in that lifeguard station and got back into a dark corner by a few shamblers and one of those muscley zombies with only a half knackered bit of wood for protection moments like that are what survival horror games are all about!
    Wait til you get to the city.

All that's missing is Miguel in the distance shouting "Hello...is there anybody there?"

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    All that's missing is Miguel in the distance shouting "Hello...is there anybody there?"
    Glad it wasn't just me that thought that too...

England
    Well I played a good few hours last night, I'm enjoying it but whats with the minimap? You have this detailed map but it doesnt name any of the locations on there so your just left wandering around trying to figure out where stuff is, occasionally finding a sign which points you to it. Also none of the quests are posted to the map when you accept them so its hard to figure out where your supposed to go. Another minor gripe is that once you walk around the corner from somewhere, all the bodies of zombies you killed disappear and the zombies respawn, so you can just walk away from somewhere and then walk back in and nothings changed, even the money and items seem to respawn! Obviously its to keep people interested as revisiting zombie free areas would be boring, but they could leave the bodies dotted around so it gives the impression that more have wandered in rather than they've magically reappeared. Minor issues though, its still a great game!

Scotland
    I though the minimap was bust the first time because there was not a tracker showing for the 'find Maggy' mission, but if you press 'L' and highlight any of the other missions it will give you a tracker to follow.
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 15-Sep-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Dun goofed!