Page 162 of 174 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2597

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

United States
    Star Trek The Undiscovered Country, I miss this crew, the originals.

Super Moderator

UK
    Currently watching Cowboy Bebop (the new live action adaptation on Netflix). I'm not familiar with the original anime, so I'm just going on this for what it is, but I'm enjoying it. It took me a few episodes to get into the vibe, but aye, it's good fun and pretty well paced with a nice sense of style. The characterisation is a bit hit and miss (sometimes a bit too thin), especially in the earlier episodes, but you gradually peel back some more layers as the episodes go by. The cast have good chemistry, too.

Seems to have been fairly butchered by the critics, but I don't really understand why. Several reviews slagged off the special effects for some odd reason, saying they were bad, but they don't look at all bad to me. There's a particular aesthetic they're going with, but they've done it well.

I've got two more episodes to go and I'm digging it.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Dec-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Finished Cowboy Bebop - good stuff! Hopefully it gets a second season.

Also - Spiral: From The Book of Saw
    The previous film in the franchise ("Jigsaw") was pretty pointless ... this ain't much different. The juice was squeezed out of this franchise long ago. This new one isn't awful, but it doesn't really grab you at any point and the twist is lame and - yet again - the traps just don't work. You'd either not want to live if you got out of them, or there's simply not enough time for anyone to attempt an escape. Just felt like it was lazily treading over familiar ground ... even the music and cinematography felt like paint-by-numbers/going through the motions. This franchise just needs to be left well alone now ... it's done.

Super Moderator

UK
    Godzilla vs Kong
    I liked the big fighty smashy stuff between the titular beasts, but could have used a lot less of the human characters quite honestly. And can we stop with having podcasters are characters in movies and TV shows now? They're fucking everywhere. Halloween 2018. Ghostbusters Afterlife. Dexter New Blood. Godzilla vs Kong. Fuck me, enough! Similarly with the really boring and empty 'evil corporation guy' villains. Give them a better reason to do what they do (so it's justified from their POV) and get rid of all the twirling moustache dialogue and performance. Also, that whole strand of the movie with the podcaster, the kid from the previous movie, and the kid from Deadpool 2 ... I mean ... was it even needed? It was just filler to provide a few grains of exposition, and the kid from Deadpool 2 did literally nothing of any use whatsoever - he wasn't even allowed to drive his brother's van and was generally just mocked for being a wimpy boy throughout the entire thing. Seriously, if the teen girl had been written like that, there would've been hashtags galore on Twitter. The characters were sketched-in at best, pointless at worst. About the best human character was the little girl who can communicate with Kong ... everyone else? Who cares? In fact, Kong was the best character in the entire movie! Some decent smashy bashy stuff, but I doubt I'll re-watch this one.

I think "Kong: Skull Island" has been the best of these flicks (that one I actually did re-watch and re-enjoyed) by a clear margin.

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Finished Cowboy Bebop - good stuff! Hopefully it gets a second season.

Also - Spiral: From The Book of Saw
    The previous film in the franchise ("Jigsaw") was pretty pointless ... this ain't much different. The juice was squeezed out of this franchise long ago. This new one isn't awful, but it doesn't really grab you at any point and the twist is lame and - yet again - the traps just don't work. You'd either not want to live if you got out of them, or there's simply not enough time for anyone to attempt an escape. Just felt like it was lazily treading over familiar ground ... even the music and cinematography felt like paint-by-numbers/going through the motions. This franchise just needs to be left well alone now ... it's done.

Cowboy Bebop Netflix has cancelled it.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 10-Dec-2021 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    The Wrath of Man
    Guy Ritchie remake of a French revenge flick called "Cash Truck". It doesn't really feel like a Ritchie movie, what with him only being one of three credited writers on the film, and some of the dialogue early on can be super clunky, and it never really does anything fresh-feeling or unpredictable ... however, I did enjoy it and was never bored by it. Plus, as a fan of Holt McCallany (Mindhunter), it's got added bonus points. It's on Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Cowboy Bebop Netflix has cancelled it.
    Aye, I've just seen that!

Now, admittedly, I've never seen the original anime so I was just purely going into the live action version totally cold - but I enjoyed it. I can understand fans of the source material being pissed off at certain things and can respect that, although again, I can't have an appreciation of that personally as I've not seen the anime. It seems this is a bit of a trend with anime being adapted into live action, although it's probably more the Japanese to American part of the translation that's the biggest problem. Anyway, it did take me a little bit to get into Cowboy Bebop (the live action one), but I was really quite enjoying it by the end. I did have some issues with the structure on occasion (e.g. the reveal of Spike and Vicious' past comes far too late to make earlier scenes regarding both carry weight or make any real sense, and Faye is a bit too 'smug/arrogant' initially as a curious amount of female characters now seem to be where "arrogance" is mistaken for "confidence", however she settled down as the episodes went on and fit more into the groove). So on the one hand, bummer, but on the other hand (hearing the response of fans of the source material) I'm not surprised - and, indeed, it barely sniffed into the Top 10 only briefly whereas The Witcher has shot back up into the Top 10 just on re-watches alone.

Great Britain
    https://www.ign.com/articles/cancelled-tv-shows-2021

Every tv series cancelled so far.

Ireland
    Wow. Apart from 'Better Call Saul' that's one huge tranche of shite. No wonder they're getting the chop.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Trainspotting
    What's to be said, really? It's a pure classic that hits the ground running (literally) from the get-go. I've only seen it about 3 or 4 times now, but over the years I've got more and more out of it with each viewing. Interesting to revisit it after having recently re-watched T2: Trainspotting, as well. One thing - I did find a little bit at the end slightly clunky. You've got Rention walking into a blur as he delivers his new "choose" speech, which is perfect, but then you get this jarring last minute bit where Spud finds the cash that Renton left for him - that should have been inserted somewhere a little bit earlier (even during the new "choose" speech) just to clear it out the way. And I don't like the end credits music - you've just come from the speech with an absolutely pumping theme and then you drop into this weird whatever-the-fuck piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Wow. Apart from 'Better Call Saul' that's one huge tranche of shite. No wonder they're getting the chop.
    Ah, come on, there's more in there than that that's good.

However, yes, there is also plenty of dreck-looking junk I've never even heard of whatsoever. It's amazing how many shows there are now, and how many you didn't even know existed! Horses for courses, I suppose. If you're not interested in it, why would you even necessarily be aware of it?

I watched the IGN video of this, but they fucked up constantly by suggesting that shows ending on their own terms (a side note they applied to some shows) were actually being shitcanned (e.g. Better Call Saul is ending on its own terms with one final season as intended). They mentioned TWD World Beyond, but again, that was only ever intended to be two seasons ... not that I watched them. I couldn't stomach two episodes of it, never mind two seasons. It was just so friggin' bad that any good parts simply weren't worth slogging through pish to get there.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Dec-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And that's because it's ending in this next season, not really cancelled. Most of the shows on that list are genuine crap that is getting most deservedly cancelled, and should in fact never had seen the light of day in the first place. Some of this crap, like the uber-mega-moronic and totally pointless Kardashians (an absolute waste of the airwaves, pure brain-rotting and intellectual-paralysis inducing poison of the worst kind imaginable), has in fact somehow managed to survive for quite a long time. It's more than overdue already that they should get the axe.

PS: I didn't even know they had made a "remake/sequel" of Punky Brewster, LOL! This "remake/sequel" mania is going to new levels of absurdity when even TV shows that should really be left alone and remembered as historical curiosities, "time-capsules" basically, are getting the green light for "remake/sequel". There is no place for such shows outside of the 50s-60s-70s-80s contexts they were made in.

- - - Updated - - -

They mentioned TWD World Beyond, but again, that was only ever intended to be two seasons ... not that I watched them. I couldn't stomach two episodes of it, never mind two seasons. It was just so friggin' bad that any good parts simply weren't worth slogging through pish to get there.
    I actually watched the whole thing, and it got a bit interesting towards the final episodes because we actually get an "update" on what Jadis has been up to. There's also some obvious hints to Rick and his fate in there.
    Last edited by JDP; 14-Dec-2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I actually watched the whole thing, and it got a bit interesting towards the final episodes because we actually get an "update" on what Jadis has been up to. There's also some obvious hints to Rick and his fate in there.
    Do tell, please. I just don't think I can be arsed to crawl through all the crap stuff to get there with WB.

Rising

United States
    Do tell, please. I just don't think I can be arsed to crawl through all the crap stuff to get there with WB.
    If you can, watch the last 6 episodes, that's when all of the Jadis-related stuff happens.

Super Moderator

UK
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    Sergio Leone film set during the Mexican revolution. They certainly don't make movies like this any more, by which I mean having your two main characters be:
    1) A rapist.
    2) A member of the IRA.
    That oddness aside, it's a pretty good flick that shows off Leone's masterful cinematic eye as well as his craft of unfolding a scene (set up - assumption - surprise reversal). It's not as strong as the Dollars Trilogy or Once Upon A Time In The West, but it was a solid flick that was better than I thought it might be.

Fatman
    Stumbled across this on Sky Movies on Xmas Eve. Mel Gibson is Santa - or just Chris Cringle, as they tend to use in the movie - and in a world where more and more kids are becoming shitty little bastards, he's dishing out more lumps of coal than ever before. However, when one spoiled rich kid gets coal for Christmas, he hires a hitman (Walton Goggins) to track down Santa and snuff him out. It's a really weird film in some respects, but it also works really well and was a pleasant surprise. Well worth checking out.

Great Britain
    Matrix 4

pretty bad tbh, started interesting and I might have gave it a 6/10 if It had stayed that way but it didn't, not a good movie maybe better than Matrix 3.

4/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Matrix 4

pretty bad tbh, started interesting and I might have gave it a 6/10 if It had stayed that way but it didn't, not a good movie maybe better than Matrix 3.

4/10
    Not even going to bother with it the reviews are that bad...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan