Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Official Trailer is now out. I posted the link int eh shoutbox and started a thread hear in Dead Discussion
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Apologies. DJ had started another thread for this trailer, and there were about 4-5 responses to it. I intended to merge it into this thread, but me being rubbish, I nuked it. Sorry!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the trailer ... no idea where the book went ... ... oh yeah, out the window.

In these sort of big budget mainstream movies it's as if they're too lazy, or just stupid, to understand the zombie as a creature, let alone how to use them effectively. The Walking Dead has shown exactly how you use shambler zombies (a few hiccups here and there, yes, but such issues are in the minority and are - importantly - learned from), so to just chuck in whatever these things are smacks of laziness and an unwillingness to put some intelligence and effort into creating a shambler epidemic ... hell, the work was done for them in the book!

The more I see this tidal wave of CGI, the less and less I can't understand how - as has previously been pointed out - the Battle of Yonkers could ever happen. The idea of zombies clambering over one another with no regard to each other (they are zombies afterall) is fine generally, but the execution just looks idiotic. These look less like zombies and more like weird mutants with supernatural abilities.

Scale was never going to be a problem - that's what big budgets and resources are for, but you've got to have proper intentions behind the money.

Undisclosed
    The darkest day of CGI laden bullshit the world of zombie films has ever known.

When there is no more room in hell the dead will apparently pile up and cause avalanches ...

welcome to the realm of videogame shenanigans.

Al least Mr. Pitt's hair looks impressive in that trailer.

Administrator

England
    I thought the opening scenes seemed promising! The site of herds of runners swarming through the city chasing survivors looks terrifying. Absolutely terrifying! Can you imaging yourself in that situation? Shamblers wouldn't bring about the super quick tipping point we see there!

Generally looks OK to me, but the CGI for the swarms does look a little too frenetic too me and superhuman... Looks like they just need to be slowed down a tad!

I'd rather they appear to be running more akin to how normal people would. I don't have any problems with the swarms themselves because I can imagine a totally frenetic mindless group of people (zombies) doing that! Just don't want to see these zombies do anything superhuman that a regular body can't do!

But so far, I still have some hopes...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    I just don't now what to make of it lol, it looks big budget which is good, but the CGI looks like others have said I am Legend which look great as a film until the vampires where seen and the crappy CGI in that film took me out of the movie, hell the white skin and afros from the Charlton Heston film where better.

That said I'm not writing this film off yet, the trailer for its part did look good in parts, nice to see the world falling apart, just need to sort out the zombie CGI.

Fingers crossed theres a good movie in there somewhere lol

Administrator

England
    Continuity question... Where did the big truck come from that wipes the police officer out? And why didn't they even hear it smashing though the 20+ cars behind Mr Pitt?
    -Carl Sagan

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    As I said in the other thread, this trailer (and the warm bodies trailer) has killed my inner child. I really really wanted to like this. I'll go to see it, I shall try to enjoy it, but it just won't be the adaptation I hoped for... anyone know if the battle of yonkers will be in this or am I just dreaming?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Continuity question... Where did the big truck come from that wipes the police officer out? And why didn't they even hear it smashing though the 20+ cars behind Mr Pitt?
    Not to mention there's no flippin' space for it to drive down the gap, and it'd have to not only be carrying a shedload of speed, but have a massive run-up, and another thing - why didn't it wreck any of the cars on the way down?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Not to mention there's no flippin' space for it to drive down the gap, and it'd have to not only be carrying a shedload of speed, but have a massive run-up, and another thing - why didn't it wreck any of the cars on the way down?
    I wouldn't allow this through a script I wrote... so why are the professionals!
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    welcome to the realm of videogame shenanigans.
    Actually I think you've hit the nail on the head there, this isn't World War Z - it's COD Zombies: The Movie.

Taken on that level then it's probably an entertaining watch, but it's claiming to be an adaptation of a substantial piece of zombie fiction which makes it rather difficult to get on board with.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ehh...my original opinion still stands. Doesn't look like they're following the book and the runners aren't my favorite, but it still may be a decent enough time at the movies. Something on par with I Am Legend(which also suffered a similar "translation" of the source material), but it likely won't be the worst thing in the world.

It can't be any worse than Day08, the countless Night remakes, and 90% of zombie films in general, i'll put it that way. I must be getting easier on films in recent years, but I've found that if you check your expectations at the door with this kind of film you can still enjoy it for what it is.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Nov-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I thought the opening scenes seemed promising! The site of herds of runners swarming through the city chasing survivors looks terrifying. Absolutely terrifying! Can you imaging yourself in that situation? Shamblers wouldn't bring about the super quick tipping point we see there!

Generally looks OK to me, but the CGI for the swarms does look a little too frenetic too me and superhuman... Looks like they just need to be slowed down a tad!
    Generally how I feel. Overall tone of the film and the pulled back shots with the crowds running away from individual zeds is nice, but the CGI swarm looks silly and horrible.

I still think I will enjoy it, as I've had years to adjust expectations downwards on whatever the final product ended up being.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    I've never been a snob about the entertainment I watch so I'll just try to enjoy it as a disaster/contagion movie but it's the missed opportunity that annoys me. I know there were funding issues to begin with so maybe doing shamblers just wasn't viable for a PG13 movie. The evacuation and military scenes do look epic though.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I've done an analysis of the trailer, replete with screenshots aplenty...

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-analysis.html

Gathers all my thoughts together - but I've also looked closer at the rubbish lorry ("garbage truck" for our American chums) sequence - it's physically impossible and even more ludicrous when you pause each of the shots to assess the surroundings. I even noticed that in a shot of the truck charging down the road (beyond Pitt's car) that the cars in the traffic have suddenly opened up by magic to provide a gap.