Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Again. Don't take the vaccine to save yourself. Take it to save others.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    or take it to save your heart, or lungs, or muscles. Thousands upon thousands of people are recovering with significantly altered lives. I'm one example. There are a whole lot of other people with Post-Covid Syndrome worse than me. The other thing is you really don't want a serious case of Covid. It's about as miserable an experience as you will ever have. You have been warned Ebenezer Neil! Stop sounding like an American right-winger. Most of those people haven't read a book since they were forced to in 12th grade and science is like kryptonite to that set.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    or take it to save your heart, or lungs, or muscles. Thousands upon thousands of people are recovering with significantly altered lives. I'm one example. There are a whole lot of other people with Post-Covid Syndrome worse than me. The other thing is you really don't want a serious case of Covid. It's about as miserable an experience as you will ever have. You have been warned Ebenezer Neil!
    I hear you, and you have a fair point. But again, for me the CV19 response is becoming less and less based on reason and facts, and more and more turning into an out of control (proportion) religion... The mask debacle sums things up nicely, where they're not necessary, then are, even when science raises serious questions of there use. And now Fauci starts talking about wearing two of them?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    They're dealing with something in actuality that hasn't been dealt with in modern times (yes, I'm aware of other cases, but they're not like this). A worldwide pandemic isn't something that can be solved with projection modelling. So a certain amount of confusion is to be expected when one actually hits. Frankly, I'd be more surprised if, as a planet, we tackled it without the missteps. The reality is no one was prepared for this and our efforts to combat it reflect that. Much of COVID has been a steep learning experience.

Plus, there has been a shit ton of deliberate disinformation put out there by, well frankly, fuckheads who are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

On the mask issue. The general consensus is that masks work...to a degree. But that doesn't mean that they offer complete protection. They may help stop ingestion of the virus through the nasal or throat passages, or transmission from the wearer. But one could still get/deliver the virus through hand to mouth transmission, or in other ways.

At the moment, a mask can offer a limited element of protection. But that is still a better scenario than no mask at all.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I hear you, and you have a fair point. But again, for me the CV19 response is becoming less and less based on reason and facts, and more and more turning into an out of control (proportion) religion... The mask debacle sums things up nicely, where they're not necessary, then are, even when science raises serious questions of there use. And now Fauci starts talking about wearing two of them?
    I don't know where you're getting that from - (the lack of reason and facts) - but I'm pretty sure that varies from country to country so we may have different parameters for reference there.

Anyway - take the vaccine. Only then will the virus go away. And until then, these measures will be in place. And until then, people will at the very least be hospitalized and many will die. It's not about you or your family, it's about everyone.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 30-Jan-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: fdsfsd

Super Moderator

UK
    RE: Masks...

The reason they 'weren't a good idea' when the pandemic started was simple: governments, such as ours, simply didn't have enough of them. They were needed most of all by NHS workers, for example, so to stop people buying them all up they put that idiotic lie out there.

What they should have done, as I said at the time, was TELL THE FUCKING TRUTH. Simply: "We don't have enough of these masks. These other people NEED them. YOU, on the other hand, can sit on your arse and watch Netflix." - Plus, in conjunction with that, governments should have put measures in place to direct the procurement and sale of masks to those who needed them first and foremost ... then, they should have found people able to immediately started manufacturing masks within a nation's borders for use when the time came for lockdown to be lifted.

As a result of the stupid lie, which was only to try and save a bit of face, they cast a shadow of doubt over masks and provided fuel for 'truther' idiots whose conspiracy theories are always based on misinformation, misheard crap, assumptions and "I would have thought..." comments, rather than actual facts.

Masks help limit transmission - therefore: GOOD THING. However, they must also be worn in conjunction with WASHING YOUR FUCKING HANDS. So many grotty people about. That's why the flu spreads so easily when it rolls around. Wankers and selfish/oblivious pricks walking around full of cold and flu snotting everywhere, open-mouthed coughing over everything, rubbing their snotty hands all over public surfaces. If more people took the cleanliness of their hands more seriously, and used sick days for actual sickness, and didn't swan off to the shops WHEN THEY'RE FULL OF COLD etc, then the spread of the seasonal flu would be vastly reduced. Considering how poorly people act regarding the seasonal flu, it's no wonder the pandemic spread as easily as it did.

Also, yes, as Ned has been mentioning, it's about protecting other people as much as yourself. Other people wearing masks, washing their hands, getting vaccinated, that helps everyone. You included. In-turn, you play your part.

The 'religious' aspect is completely beside the point, to be honest, and is more about individuals ... some of it driven by the wilful stupidity of some members of the public. I'm not keen on that either, but it's the equal and opposite reaction to the aforementioned dopes who'd sooner believe made-up rubbish about nanobots and 5G from some wonky group buried away in the depths of Facebook than listen to an educated professional who actually knows what they're talking about.

When you've spend almost a year following the rules diligently and you see twats still walking around amongst other people without masks, without washing their hands, or swanning off to fucking Dubai to "provide content" for their Instagram, it's pretty fucking maddening.

In other news, I've just got back from taking my Dad to get his first vaccination. It was all run nice and orderly, with all the medical personel and volunteer wardens making everything nice and clear and running smoothly. Fortunately, we turned up for his slot time at a calm period. I presume there were more people earlier in the day.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Jan-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    RE: Masks...

The reason they 'weren't a good idea' when the pandemic started was simple: governments, such as ours, simply didn't have enough of them. They were needed most of all by NHS workers, for example, so to stop people buying them all up they put that idiotic lie out there.

What they should have done, as I said at the time, was TELL THE FUCKING TRUTH. Simply: "We don't have enough of these masks. These other people NEED them. YOU, on the other hand, can sit on your arse and watch Netflix." - Plus, in conjunction with that, governments should have put measures in place to direct the procurement and sale of masks to those who needed them first and foremost ... then, they should have found people able to immediately started manufacturing masks within a nation's borders for use when the time came for lockdown to be lifted.

As a result of the stupid lie, which was only to try and save a bit of face, they cast a shadow of doubt over masks and provided fuel for 'truther' idiots whose conspiracy theories are always based on misinformation, misheard crap, assumptions and "I would have thought..." comments, rather than actual facts.

Masks help limit transmission - therefore: GOOD THING. However, they must also be worn in conjunction with WASHING YOUR FUCKING HANDS. So many grotty people about. That's why the flu spreads so easily when it rolls around. Wankers and selfish/oblivious pricks walking around full of cold and flu snotting everywhere, open-mouthed coughing over everything, rubbing their snotty hands all over public surfaces. If more people took the cleanliness of their hands more seriously, and used sick days for actual sickness, and didn't swan off to the shops WHEN THEY'RE FULL OF COLD etc, then the spread of the seasonal flu would be vastly reduced. Considering how poorly people act regarding the seasonal flu, it's no wonder the pandemic spread as easily as it did.

Also, yes, as Ned has been mentioning, it's about protecting other people as much as yourself. Other people wearing masks, washing their hands, getting vaccinated, that helps everyone. You included. In-turn, you play your part.

The 'religious' aspect is completely beside the point, to be honest, and is more about individuals ... some of it driven by the wilful stupidity of some members of the public. I'm not keen on that either, but it's the equal and opposite reaction to the aforementioned dopes who'd sooner believe made-up rubbish about nanobots and 5G from some wonky group buried away in the depths of Facebook than listen to an educated professional who actually knows what they're talking about.

When you've spend almost a year following the rules diligently and you see twats still walking around amongst other people without masks, without washing their hands, or swanning off to fucking Dubai to "provide content" for their Instagram, it's pretty fucking maddening.
    Yes and no IMHO...

Masks can help stop some spread, but:-
    1) The kind of masks most people are using don't achieve much.
    2) They risk people reducing social distancing assuming a mask is particularly effective.
    3) They collect germs, and with some people constantly touching them, it ends up as a fresh germ gutter on their face allowing to spread effectively.

In other news, I've just got back from taking my Dad to get his first vaccination. It was all run nice and orderly, with all the medical personel and volunteer wardens making everything nice and clear and running smoothly. Fortunately, we turned up for his slot time at a calm period. I presume there were more people earlier in the day.
    Yeh, my mum was done last weekend....
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yes and no IMHO...

Masks can help stop some spread, but:-
    1) The kind of masks most people are using don't achieve much.
    2) They risk people reducing social distancing assuming a mask is particularly effective.
    3) They collect germs, and with some people constantly touching them, it ends up as a fresh germ gutter on their face allowing to spread effectively.
    I've seen this claim thrown around and I don't buy it. To me, the exact opposite is true. Mask off - people forget there's a pandemic on. Mask on - people take caution.
    Furthermore, I don't know what masks "most people" are using, but an ordinary cloth mask stops 85% of your particles. If surgical masks 95%. If both people wear there's a 99% reduction in likelyhood of transmission.

Wear your mask, people. It's not a catch-all solution, but it's a catch-alot solution.

Super Moderator

UK
    Wear your mask, people. It's not a catch-all solution, but it's a catch-alot solution.
    Indeed.

While it may be a bit of a nuisance, that's all it is. It's only temporary, too, and frankly I think they should be more common in the future during flu season to help limit the spread of viruses.

Combined with social distancing and proper hand hygiene awareness, it all adds up to help frustrate the spread of the virus. It's simple common sense and is thoughtful towards other people. You might get it, but only have mild symptoms, but then you might also pass it onto someone else who isn't so lucky - someone who might even die - and all because some person couldn't be arsed to wear a mask, wash their hands, and stand back a bit.

Just on the issue of hand hygiene: For me, I really try to think about what I'm touching and how I'm touching it when out in public. Sometimes, if possible, I'll even do a 'public hand and personal hand' situation, whereby one hand handles something public (e.g. a fuel pump or a door handle) while the other hand will handle something personal (e.g. the car key, or a cash card). Having completed my task, one I've had to do (i.e. not some jolly into town), I give my hands a good gelling after putting any gloves or masks or receipts into a plastic bag for sorting out later (after which I'll also thoroughly wash my hands, of course).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Jan-2021 at 02:45 PM.

United States
    well my younger brother has tested positive. he's about to turn 38 this later this month. said he felt pretty crappy one day, kinda tired since then, but seems to be doing okay overall so far.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    well my younger brother has tested positive. he's about to turn 38 this later this month. said he felt pretty crappy one day, kinda tired since then, but seems to be doing okay overall so far.
    Does it know where it got it from?

It's interesting how many people are being very careful and yet still catch it...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Does it know where it got it from?

It's interesting how many people are being very careful and yet still catch it...
    I guess if we weren't being careful then a lot more would catch it. "being careful" is a relative term.

The most careful thing of all would be for everyone to lock themselves up and just not leave the house at all for 2 months. But then what would happen to... pretty much everything?

Super Moderator

UK
    That's how easy it can be to catch it. A little bit gets onto a mucus membrane and then it's a roll of the dice how bad you get it.

We've (as in me and my family) been super vigilant, but we've also basically cut ourselves off from the outside world. I haven't set foot in a shop since the week before lockdown #1 in March 2020, and when we have had to have people come to the house they've either just been doing work outside (e.g. gutter cleaners) or have themselves been very vigilant when coming inside (in that case they've only been physical, occupational, and speech therapists for my Dad). If we have to go somewhere, then we touch as little as absolutely possible, and keep sanitising our hands.

Mum and Dad have both now had their first doses of the vaccine (different ones each).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Mum and Dad have both now had their first doses of the vaccine (different ones each).
    Congratulations!

Rising

United States
    That's how easy it can be to catch it. A little bit gets onto a mucus membrane and then it's a roll of the dice how bad you get it.

We've (as in me and my family) been super vigilant, but we've also basically cut ourselves off from the outside world. I haven't set foot in a shop since the week before lockdown #1 in March 2020, and when we have had to have people come to the house they've either just been doing work outside (e.g. gutter cleaners) or have themselves been very vigilant when coming inside (in that case they've only been physical, occupational, and speech therapists for my Dad). If we have to go somewhere, then we touch as little as absolutely possible, and keep sanitising our hands.