Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Stoked that I waited for the Xbox One version.
    First Person mode

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/11...ew-perspective
    I know the PC is getting first person mode, so are the XBone and PS4?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I know the PC is getting first person mode, so are the XBone and PS4?
    Yup :-D
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've always found it difficult driving the cars in first person view, for some reason. So, this wouldn't really be for me.

But my kids gave my 360 the RROD, soooo....maybe one day I'll get a new gen system to give it a shot...

United States
    I have heard rumors about a GTA 5 and the Last of Us PlayStation 4 bundle coming out this holiday season for $400. I think that right there is the nail in the coffin, my mind is almost totally made up to switch from Microsoft back to Sony.

England
    Been playing this all day and it looks absolutely unbelievable. Easily the best looking game I've played on a console.
    Stunning draw distance and attention to detail

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've always found it difficult driving the cars in first person view, for some reason. So, this wouldn't really be for me.

But my kids gave my 360 the RROD, soooo....maybe one day I'll get a new gen system to give it a shot...
    It's easier in first person than I thought it was going to be. Good fun. You've also got the option to use a type of "bullet time" where it slows the action down like Red Dead Redemption did

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    I'm just building a new high spec PC with the excuse I'll need one for GTA V when it comes out for the PC!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm just building a new high spec PC with the excuse I'll need one for GTA V when it comes out for the PC!
    It's January for the pc isn't it?
    Incredible game.
    The last 2 Elder Scrolls and GTA games have been high points for me in nearly 37 years of gaming.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    I don't know what gamers can't ALWAYS have the option to switch from 3rd to 1st person. To me 1st person makes all the difference.

Just finished off 'The Evil Within' and that suffers terribly from the use of 3rd person. Although, it's one of many problems with that game.

I think if you're going down the survival horror route, 1st person is a must.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I don't know what gamers can't ALWAYS have the option to switch from 3rd to 1st person. To me 1st person makes all the difference.

Just finished off 'The Evil Within' and that suffers terribly from the use of 3rd person. Although, it's one of many problems with that game.

I think if you're going down the survival horror route, 1st person is a must.
    Switching from one to another requires a lot of work as evidenced by all the things Rockstar had to take into account when putting in FPS mode into GTA. One of them is resources (there just wasn't enough on 360/PS3 era consoles), another is that just moving the camera doesn't work, the motion of the character, the animation of their limbs, everything needs to change and be tweaked - there's also graphical updates required for added detail for things so close up. Some of these changes were being made for the upgrade in graphics generally, but I read an article about the tweaks to GTA V - including FPS mode - and it was surprising how much work it is for what initially seems to be a simple idea.

Anyway, with them having had the chance to insert those mechanics into their ever-evolving engine, I'd imagine that all future GTA games will have an FPS mode.

Ireland
    How can switching the camera not work, at least in the vast majority of cases. You simply put the camera in front of the toons head. Hey presto. In fact the toon doesn't have to exist in 1st person mode.

Super Moderator

UK
    How can switching the camera not work, at least in the vast majority of cases. You simply put the camera in front of the toons head. Hey presto. In fact the toon doesn't have to exist in 1st person mode.
    Unfortunately it's not that simple. Initially Rockstar tried that and it just didn't work.

The control scheme has to be reworked - and the character/movement responses that result from player input. The animations also have to be changed as those designed for 3rd person won't work for 1st person (e.g. the gun might not aim well in 1st person viewpoint on 3rd person controls/motion/animation).

Likewise, if you took an FPS game and then zoomed it out to be in 3rd person, the animations would look horrible and the control scheme wouldn't work correctly.

Of course, this mode means you mucky pups will be able to bang a hooker - or get a blozzer from one of your in-game girlfriends - from the first person perspective.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Nov-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Ireland
    Well, I understand why Rockstar found it difficult, because GTA was designed to be only a 3rd person view at the beginning.

What I mean is that during development for most games, it should be possible to implement both a 1st and 2rd person viewpoint. PC games have been doing it for years.

I'm absorbed in Dayz at the moment and that can go from 1st to 3rd seamlessly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, I understand why Rockstar found it difficult, because GTA was designed to be only a 3rd person view at the beginning.

What I mean is that during development for most games, it should be possible to implement both a 1st and 2rd person viewpoint. PC games have been doing it for years.

I'm absorbed in Dayz at the moment and that can go from 1st to 3rd seamlessly.
    Indeed, but it's also a question of resources - they didn't have enough to include 1st person mode on 360 and PS3 consoles, not enough power essentially. You include that, then you have to reduce other things that are ultimately more important than FPS mode. The new console generation has enough resources to implement the mode, and of course that's done at the same time as putting it out on PC (albeit a couple of months later in January).

GTA V is a hugely complex game with so many different things in it, whereas from what I've seen, DayZ seems more sparsely populated - not such a wide variety of textures, animations, characters, etc etc - so there's more room for it, but also if DayZ is just on the PC then you've always got much more in terms of resources and power, and can scale what you see on screen ... whereas GTA V was initially only available on 360 and PS3 consoles, working on tech that was first put out in 2005/6.

England
    What a game this is.
    Has anyone here got any experience with the online?

MY HOME CINEMA