Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Zombie Survival Hideout

Undisclosed
    Sixteen foot deep square hole with a razor wire bed in place and a 36 foot high wall is put in place, starting at the base of the hole to prevent digging through the ground and invading in a groundhog style. Concrete is poured on the ground just in case they dig down deeper and go under the wall and into our homes or into the streets. We would use a office building of some kind of a large size to create apartments. On the roofs of each building would be many greenhouses for vegetation. If someone wanted into the city, we'd set up a kind of arch that someone shimmy's up. There would be a fence around the shimmy pole so if you slip, you don't fall in the pit of corpses. Every day there would be searches for survivors, once a week food raids in the sotres and such.

I was made for zombie survival. Out of my family, I think I would last the longest despite my age.

United States
    Cute idea but what happens when you and every other raider has stripped the local stores bare? And most office buildings typically have a tremendous number of windows on the main levels... that's a security problem no?

Its fun to believe you could plant vegetation to live off of on the roof top of a building but entirely unrealalistic (about as far off as zombies walking the Earth) because most office buildings dont take up enough width and more and more buildings are being built with skylights to be greener. Not to mention the never ending chore of building the perspective greenhouse.

On a seperate note...

The Walking Dead made a great suggestion... they went into a gated housing development which I think was chained off to prevent people from going in there because as the sign said 'dead inside' or something like that... but when you take into consideration some developments they're actually a tremendously defenseable fortress...

for instance... in Tyler there's a grouping of homes which are barricaded together with a nearly 16 foot high brick/stucco fence and the number of homes within the walls is about maybe 100 at most... its a very tightly knit exclusive home place... and on the premises they have pool, spa, tennis courts... great for entertainment and staying in shape... and it prolly wouldn't be too hard to knock off any problematic survivors within the walls

there's a similar eden in California... a grouping of ultra exclusive apartments that has everything you could hope for including a private boat dock area and market...

but with either place there's lots of green spaces that you could use to grow food and the like... and if you're wise and dont use any exterior homes and avoid being heard or seen by living survivors and the dead alike... it could work out well...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Canada
    the best defense is to get a group of adeptus astartes to defend you.

United Kingdom
    Even better find a oasis in the sahara, build a serious of trip wires for alert of anyone coming near your settle ment about a amile in each direction of it, secound line of of pits, mines and genrally loud traps for a secound alert system. Use sand stoone to build a 15-20ft high wall with walkways crossing the top for guard duty, and a moat say aboat 8 ft deep around it. Scouts travelling around the area no more then 6 miles in groups of three. Inside the compound no more then 50 people, a good mix of male and female. a workout camp, things like rowing machines and bikes that all connect to a generator. All people are required to spend a couple of hours a day on each of these. Also a wind generator and solar generator. Good seed stock so you could have many vegetables. A few rifles for those scouting and those on guard duty. No more then a thousand rounds of ammunition. and plenty of hand scythes, machettes, etc... a few cows for milk only and chickens for eggs. The meat would only be consumed in a emergency. and good growth of majiuana. Single TV and dvd player. A library full of technical manuals and science journals and if possible a librarty of ficyion.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dommm View Post
    Even better find a oasis in the sahara, build a serious of trip wires for alert of anyone coming near your settle ment about a amile in each direction of it, secound line of of pits, mines and genrally loud traps for a secound alert system. Use sand stoone to build a 15-20ft high wall with walkways crossing the top for guard duty, and a moat say aboat 8 ft deep around it. Scouts travelling around the area no more then 6 miles in groups of three. Inside the compound no more then 50 people, a good mix of male and female. a workout camp, things like rowing machines and bikes that all connect to a generator. All people are required to spend a couple of hours a day on each of these. Also a wind generator and solar generator. Good seed stock so you could have many vegetables. A few rifles for those scouting and those on guard duty. No more then a thousand rounds of ammunition. and plenty of hand scythes, machettes, etc... a few cows for milk only and chickens for eggs. The meat would only be consumed in a emergency. and good growth of majiuana. Single TV and dvd player. A library full of technical manuals and science journals and if possible a librarty of ficyion.
    Don't forget a good supply of vitamins and supplements, to make up for not eating meat. Only a few rifles? Wouldn't it be better to have more weapons just in case? You could always been an armory and tightly control access.

Undisclosed
    Cute idea? Like I previously said, large pit for them, wall that ascends past the hole and about 20 feet above the hole itself. The undead couldn't get in and would just fall in and stay put. How's about this for a redesign...

10 acre radius in farming area, dig a hole that surrounds the farmland about 16 ft deep and about 10 ft wide. Coat the walls and floor of the hole with concrete to prevent burrowing out, then after coating the grounds your farmland will be on with new dirt and such, you will be much higher up than the zombies can reach. Create a form of gate that would drop down for survivors so they may enter. This gate would lift, and drop and would retract via chains. Then build a tower of sorts from the woodlands nearby and create a civilization. Build a large greenhouse on the main grounds and a greenhouse on the tower top.

United States
    Yeah... cute idea... but what are your means of transportation? You need to give yourself alternatives to typical land travel... by being on river you'd be able to water your crops and yourselves

All this is very subjective mind you because at what point of a zombie attack/outbreak are we? Is this the beginning? Have any major cities been taken over yet? Is the local news showing whats going on or is it so big its world news now? And how many people are helping you? Most people run from problems so you may be left high and dry save for your family and few friends...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Undisclosed
    If it's a Romero situation, I'm going to be at either a Wal-Mart or I'm going to make me a shelter. I'm lucky, there aren't many people in my town and we're 30-40 minutes driving distance from any civilization. I'll be setting up shop and taking out any and every zombie with my uncles. I have 3 12 gauges, a 22 pistol, and 4 rifles, 3 with scopes. Also luckily for myself, there's a gun store up the road. I've got a big truck and a plow for it. This would be fun...

I'd rescue any and all friends, if they're infected, I feels bad.

United States
    some of you guys should be military base / prison designers :/

United Kingdom
    The ultimate hideout*:

*Kids not included.

United States
    lol... kids not included...

Technically i'm not so sure if being in the middle of nowhere gives you much of an advantage over those who are within the cities because as we all saw in NOTLD and again in Dawn city folk are likely going to leave the city and head for the hills (hence the expression) once things go awry within their safety zone. You would have an advantage over the city slickers however because you'd know your way around town and could possibly get to any desirable locations first but* they may well get there first because bad things tend to happen in major metro areas and then branch out... however if it starts in the country then you'd have the upper hand...

Canada
    if the kids were included they would make great zombie bait. Afterall, whats more important, a dumb kid screaming for chocolate or a mammoth killing machine he jesus (me)?

i'd be the perfect zombie shelter, i would just kill everything that came near me duh.
    and feed them children.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The ultimate hideout*:

*Kids not included.
    How about wood under the sink?

United States
    LMAO I love it

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The ultimate hideout*: