Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World War Z movie

Australia
    They both sound plausable.

No matter the reason, I think it's a great marketing tool for the movie.... making people like us talk about it, building excitement & keeping it fresh (for a while anyway).
    zombies
    eat flesh.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Studios? For all we know, he was the leak!
    Why would he want to leak his own script and put the whole project in jeopardy?

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadGuyX View Post
    Why would he want to leak his own script and put the whole project in jeopardy?
    I don't know, you tell me! Maybe he's nuts?

United States
    I couldn't give a crap less about him, his script, or his movie. If you read the book, you're set. You've already got the story, and nothing you can see on the screen can top the sights and sounds you've already put to it in your own imagination. The books are always better than the movies, anyway.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    I don't know, you tell me! Maybe he's nuts?
    Or maybe its actually a legitmate concern!? You ever think about that?

If anything its the studios that are nuts. Forcing a whole new script just because one got leaked (a good one at that).

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I couldn't give a crap less about him, his script, or his movie. If you read the book, you're set. You've already got the story, and nothing you can see on the screen can top the sights and sounds you've already put to it in your own imagination. The books are always better than the movies, anyway.
    true dat, sir.

United States
    SRP speaks the truth again! I would add that in many ways seeing a movie before reading the books screws you up even more because you inevitably see in your minds eye what was portrayed on the screen, and cannot divest yourself of those (read: someone else's) images.

Having not yet read this book, I would hate to see this movie first because I think, even if it is masterfully done, that it will color my view of the book and interfere with my own imagination's interpretation of the book.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Books are books and movies are movies. The book cannot be "better" than the movie, because the movie is not a book, and thus cannot be compared.

Movie is, to me, the ultimate cultural medium of expression and if done right, a movie can outdo a book ten times over as far as emotional impact goes.

Super Moderator

UK
    I guess a book goes for depth, and a movie goes for impact...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Movie is, to me, the ultimate cultural medium of expression and if done right, a movie can outdo a book ten times over as far as emotional impact goes.
    I agree EvilNed, but the operative phrase is "if done right"

Too many times in the past have good and decently written stories been transformed by some smug hack into crappy scripts and then micromanaged by a bunch of executives in suits who arbritarily award themselves the titles of "Producer" who then proceed to focus group and reinvent the original vision into a piece of crap meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Add to that the influence a director has over the way the script is interpreted. Imagine if Boll instead of Romero had done DAWN 78! What a maggoty infested piece of tripe that would have been.

Since I have not yet read the Brook's novel, I am wary about seeing whatever film they end up releasing based on the novel because I fear that it will reduce my enjoyment of the novel. For example, if someone watches Kubrick's "The Shining" first and then proceeds to read the novel, they will have a difficult time divorcing their imagination from Kubrick's own vision. So instead of inventing their own vision of what the main chracters look like, they will tend to automatically see Jack Nicholson as the lead actor, etc. (Don't get me wrong, I did like Kubrick's version, but I only am using it as a point of reference -- don't mean to pick on him) So with WWZ, I fear that IF the producers/directors/editors/actors et al end up making WWZ into Seventh Heaven with zombies I will have a hard time putting this out of my head when I read WWZ, and inevitably a bad movie experience in this realm will effect my enjoyment of what I hear is a pretty righteous zombie novel.

Hollywood tends to make more crappy movies than decent ones, to the point where I consider it a rare event when a decent film comes out of the machine. I don't know, maybe they will make the best zombie film since Dawn of the Dead 78. I certainly hope so!

Your point, however, about the medium not being a problem in and of itself, and that books are inherently different than movies is well stated and well taken and very much correct.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 27-Apr-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Let me see. As far as the double-viewings I've experienced:

Jaws: Book > Movie
    The Godfather: Book > Movie
    The Langoliers: Book > Movie
    Dreamcatcher: Book > Movie
    Needful Things: Book > Movie
    'Salem's Lot: Book > Movie
    I Am Legend: Book > Movie
    1984: Book > Movie
    Christine: Book > Movie
    The Shining: Book > Movie
    The Stand: Book > Movie
    Cujo: Book > Movie

...so far, movies aren't exactly leading the head-to-head competition...

Dead

Undisclosed
    Let me see. As far as the double-viewings I've experienced:

Jaws: Book > Movie
    The Godfather: Book > Movie
    The Langoliers: Book > Movie
    Dreamcatcher: Book > Movie
    Needful Things: Book > Movie
    'Salem's Lot: Book > Movie
    I Am Legend: Book > Movie
    1984: Book > Movie
    Christine: Book > Movie
    The Shining: Book > Movie
    The Stand: Book > Movie
    Cujo: Book > Movie

...so far, movies aren't exactly leading the head-to-head competition...
    What about Forest Gump? I was told the book is a bit outlandish.

Of the titles you have listed above, I was not impressed with the 'I Am Legend' book. Then again, the movie adaptations weren't that good either. What symbol should I put for that? I was thinking maybe a smoking hunk of sh*t.

United States
    Never read any Forrest Gump book. I hated the movie with a passion, so I would have a natural bias against the book anyway.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I guess a book goes for depth, and a movie goes for impact...
    I totally agree. Books are generally the better medium for storytelling, but being a visually-orientated species, the images on screen are what stick in people's minds most.

England
    Not many movies can capture the sheer detail and depth of a book. They are different creatures.

I felt that Stephen King's "The Stand" came *quite* close in many ways, but Molly Ringwald as Fran Goldsmith? Give me a furkin break!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon