Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Opinion change about Land as it gets older ?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by trancelikestate View Post
    i watched it with a friend who never saw it before recently, and she said it looked like an HBO original movie. i thought that was harsh but understandable. what you guys think of that?
    I showed it to a few people and they all liked it. The few that had seen the earlier films knew it wasn't quite up to par, but an enjoyable movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I showed it to a few people and they all liked it. The few that had seen the earlier films knew it wasn't quite up to par, but an enjoyable movie.
    Ya, I'll admit it's the worst of the four, but....IF you're a loyal fan of the other three, you can look past most of the glitches and fill in the blanks.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i watched it with a friend who never saw it before recently, and she said it looked like an HBO original movie. i thought that was harsh but understandable. what you guys think of that?
    HBO makes good movies, I would more classify this as a TNT original which is between

HBO Movie (top of made for TV)
    Sci-Fi (Bottom Barrel)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Worst of the four maybe ... but it's still a good flick and classic GAR, albeit a slightly older GAR ... working with Hollywood ... but a lot of flicks have flaws, but they can still be a good, solid flick - and that's what Land is, it's good and it's a solid entry - and it's a good dead flick to boot. I still love the flick, rock on.

And as for Day, when that came, it was considered worst of the three, in fact that probably had a worse time than Land...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    HBO makes good movies, I would more classify this as a TNT original which is between

HBO Movie (top of made for TV)
    Sci-Fi (Bottom Barrel)
    so where USA network fall into that? i thought that was the bottom!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    so where USA network fall into that? i thought that was the bottom!

I thought MTV would be the bottom.

Dawn04 is at rock bottom ......

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Worst of the four maybe ... but it's still a good flick and classic GAR, albeit a slightly older GAR ... working with Hollywood ... but a lot of flicks have flaws, but they can still be a good, solid flick - and that's what Land is, it's good and it's a solid entry - and it's a good dead flick to boot. I still love the flick, rock on.

And as for Day, when that came, it was considered worst of the three, in fact that probably had a worse time than Land...
    BINGO!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    BINGO!
    Well, that is my name-o after all...

I think a lot of people forget or don't even realise, that Day had a major kick in the ass when it came out, and to all intents and purposes probably had a worse time getting made (if only for the major script revision/budget problem) than Land...

And of course with Land, there was a shedload of expectation surrounding it...I think a lot of the haters were expecting something different, expectation is a killer ... I find that 95% of the time, if I'm expecting a movie to be something, it ends up failing to meet the target.

United States
    I am in the camp that this movie has grown on me the more I have seen it. I could also say the same about Night and Day. Dawn of course I thought was awesome from the get go. But as far as Land is concerned, I think that it is a worthwhile effort from Romero, and is a perfect bridge conencting Dawn and Day.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I am in the camp that this movie has grown on me the more I have seen it. I could also say the same about Night and Day. Dawn of course I thought was awesome from the get go. But as far as Land is concerned, I think that it is a worthwhile effort from Romero, and is a perfect bridge conencting Dawn and Day.

I love this guy.....he never gives up or gives in.

Undisclosed
    I love this guy.....he never gives up or gives in.
    I know; it's pure comedy at this point. =)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Haha... Yea. You really do never give up...

I thought MTV would be the bottom.

Dawn04 is at rock bottom ......
    Is that so?

Here's a selection

You can either watch:

Contagium
    House of the Dead
    Children of the Living Dead
    Dawn '04

and only one of those movies for all eternity.

Which would you choose?

(suicide and/or gouging out of eyes/removal of ears is not an option)

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    I dont understand why George is trying intentionally to be so political and to shove as much of it down our throats as he can. And turning the zombies into some kind of antihero was absurd. I think i GAR's old age he is letting all the BS about social satire get to him and he tried to build a movie around that which of course isnt what he used to do, even though people pretend he did.
    I don't think the social saire and commentary is BS, but I can understand how it could be overkill on the part of the fans. I see these films as very commentative, but that's my personality, I make analogies out of everything. The difference I see between the two older ones and the newer ones is this:

Night and Dawn seem as though GAR's a young man, no specific direction just making a cool movie, and the social commentary is more underlying like a kid with a cocky attitude. Day and Land seem more mature. The movies have a more polished feel, the message is more visible and he seems more meditative. Even Steven Spielberg (not that the two have anything at all in common) said that his age and changing status in life affected how he wrote movies. At one point he said now that he was married and had children, if he made a movie like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind today the characters would deal with the situation very differently.

Also, if I may say so, as outstanding an actor as Eugene Clark may be, he does not make a good zombie IMHO. His voice did not sound like a zombie voice, it sounded like an actor wearing zombie makeup and yelling.
    xxxopher
    -There's Always Another Level-
    www.xxxopher.com

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post

Also, if I may say so, as outstanding an actor as Eugene Clark may be

You're kidding right? I have met the guy in person. The big rock in the front of my apartment complex has more personality.

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    he does not make a good zombie IMHO. His voice did not sound like a zombie voice, it sounded like an actor wearing zombie makeup and yelling.
    I agree with you 100% on the zombie comment though
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Romero should Alan Smithee his name on LAND. I mean it really doesn't belong in his universe. I know he wrote and directed it, but that didn't feel like a Romero film.

Just call it LOTD directed by Alan Smithee.
    i think that is a ROMERO dead movie, feels like a ROMERO DEAD MOVIE.