Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Things that bug me about dead movies

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Well, this is a tricky subject to get into. Those scenes were filmed on Sanibel Island, not far from Ft. Myers. Now, neither Sanibel Island or Ft. Myers is mentioned in the movie, so is our cast actually in those locations, or are they supposed to be somewhere else? Hard to say. Just like in Dawn, they never mention Monroeville...is that where the Mall was, or was it just supposed to be a mall in an undisclosed location? You can plainly see the MM Monroeville Mall logo on the doors. I dont think that the word "Florida" is ever used in the movie either. There is a map of Florida on the map of their meeting room, even though that room is in the old mine in Wampum, PA. That is why we have to assume the movie has a setting of Florida. With that being said, I live in Florida, and I can tell you that there are not many, if any, underground bunkers in the whole State, as most of the State isnt that far above sea level, and any basement type bunker would flood. I believe that GAR used to have a home on Sanibel Island, so that is probably why some of the movie was shot there and in Ft. Myers.

But is the opening scene supposed to even be Ft . Myers? It isnt mentioned, and we dont see a big sign that says "Fort Myers", so is it set there, or just a undisclosed movie location? Downtown Ft. Myers looks pretty much the same as it did in the movie. As for Sanibel Island, there is a big bridge over there that allows vehicle traffic, so in theory zombies could walk across the bridge to get to the bunker. Our heros could have destroyed that bridge, but then a land escape would be cut off in case there was a problem with the chopper. Or if the chopper crashed on everyone got killed on a search mission, the bunker inhabitants would have no means to leave the island os the bridge was gone.

If the soldiers eliminated the zombies as Chakobsa suggested, there would be no more "specimens" to bring back into the complex. It is mentioned how Logan is going thru too may of them, and the men might refuse to go out "in the wild" to get any more. If there were none on the island, they would have to go all the way to the mainland to get some.

Also, I think that Bill says something like "Over on the mainland, all the shopping malls are closed". You wouldnt refer to the mainland if you were in fact on the mainland, therefore I think you have to take it that they are on some island, if not Sanibel Island.
    I've gone back and watched the scence in question, Philly, and bill says; "....The power's off on the mainland and all the shopping malls are closed."
    So you could be right about the island thing. Thing is though, if they are in fact on an island, why doesn't Rhodes just get his men to "blow the piss" out of the finite walking dead population? and even if there was a causeway, how hard would it be to blow it to ****aree?

If the base is on a potentially isolated island then the dynamic of the film and the motivations of Rhodes and his men would necessarily be different and ultimately not as interesting.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    and even if there was a causeway, how hard would it be to blow it to ****aree?

I think it could be pretty difficult. There are some pretty substantial causeways in that part of Florida. The soldiers may not have explosives, or enough explosives. Just because they are soldiers, doesn't mean they are experienced in demolition. And who wants to place demolition charges while there are zombies wondering around trying to eat you.

Retreating armies often get demolition experts to blow up bridges. That should be easier than blowing up a causeway (bridge is weaker, demolition experts rather than random soldiers high on weed, no zombies trying to eat you while you lay explosives) - but even then, sometimes the bridges don't collapse when exploded.

Undisclosed
    what i find inconsistant in the 4 movies
    is the noise zombies can produce
    if i recall in night and dawn they really did not make any noise
    not even moaning

maybe theres a little in dawn but i never noticed

but in day we have moaning, grunting and bub crying a bit, he even almost says a few words!

then in land its like moan city with big daddy apparently giving fully healthy lungs a good working as he screamed to the sky.

what happened there?

not complaining just wondering if anyone else picked up on that evolution in the zombie ability
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I noticed that too.

I just figured that relearning to use your lungs a bit, was a bit like the other gradual relearning of human skills that the zombies did over time.

Just been bitten

United States
    Am I being perverse, but did anyone else find it odd that Rhodes and his men never tried to rape Sarah? Or that she never attempted to use her "feminine charms" to save herself? I mean Rhodes is willing to commit murder in cold blood. Where they gay or what?
    God is Santa Claus for adults

Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by hadrian0117 View Post
    Am I being perverse?
    yes

she never attempted to use her "feminine charms" to save herself
    Sarah just wasn't that type of person. She was one of the few characters in the trilogy with a real sense of integrity. She knew that would debase her, and such things inevitably lead to a bad end.

Where they gay or what?
    No. They all wanted a shot at some lovin'. Maybe such a thing was intolerable to Major Cooper. Maybe they were real comrades and actually respected Miguel until s!@# hit the fan.

Spain
    There is a thing that nobody told... The zombies smell very bad, no?. Their bodies stink!... Nobody can smell them before they come?. Think in this idea...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rawrOTD View Post
    what i find inconsistant in the 4 movies
    is the noise zombies can produce
    if i recall in night and dawn they really did not make any noise
    not even moaning

maybe theres a little in dawn but i never noticed

Zombies in Dawn moan a lot....

examples:

Just after the "no more room in hell" scene, there's a shot of the zombies at the blocked door and one of them hisses just as it cuts to Roger in agony...

When the zombies are shuffling around the mall and Richard France's character on the TV is talking about motor functions, the zombie in the ice hockey goal is moaning freakishly....deep breaths and all that.

When Stephen turns into a zombie, he signals other zombies and you can spefically hear growls and moans as they follow him.

Anyway as for NOTLD I think they did moan, but the mix wasn't great on that movie really - the music well overpowered anything you could hear...its forgivable really. But when Ben sets them on fire they moan and scream like anything post this movie.

Now if you REALLY want to talk inconsistencies...tell me why the zombies in Dawn are soooooooo slow compared to that crazy fireman zombie in Day, who gets caught in the pen by Miguel and Steele and starts beating the crap out of his enclosure...also compare with Bill Hinzman at the start of night, jogging along happily after Barbara, (ok it was downhill i think) whilst zombies in dawn don't even have the speed to reach out and grab someone.

In fact if you think about it, I'd MUCH rather be running past a group of DAWN zombies than DAY zombies....imagine those guys in the Mall, there is NO way on hell Peter and Roger would have survived that little episode with the keys outside JC Penny's.

*CONCLUSION: I watch these movies WAY too much.*

Am I being perverse, but did anyone else find it odd that Rhodes and his men never tried to rape Sarah? Or that she never attempted to use her "feminine charms" to save herself? I mean Rhodes is willing to commit murder in cold blood. Where they gay or what?

There was talk about them assaulting her.

"Give the rest of us a chance at some lovin'" (Rhodes)

and outside, John Amplas tells Sarah "you'd better watch yourself, I mean physically, watch yourself."

The threat was very real indeed but things kicked off a little bit before they got a chance.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 12-Jan-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    In fact if you think about it, I'd MUCH rather be running past a group of DAWN zombies than DAY zombies....imagine those guys in the Mall, there is NO way on hell Peter and Roger would have survived that little episode with the keys outside JC Penny's.

That's a nice observation. Day was so dark that I didn't think about it much. But if it was lighter, as in Dawn, then it would have been alot more obvious that these zombies are rather agile and not very slowed down. Sure they still walk. But when they spot their target they actually speed up somewhat, unlike the deadheads in Dawn.

United States
    A couple more examples of Dawn zombies making noises...

Right before the two kids come out of the closet, they make some weird noises.

When Flyboy is fumbling for the keys in front of Pennys, there is a lot of zombies noises, and if you listen carefully, one of them says "Grrr....get 'em".

England
    About the zombies in the cave. I always thought there were entrances/exits to the outside, remember all those vehicles and caravans in the cave? How did they get in?
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

United States
    There is one main entrance to the cave in reality. That is not really discussed/mentioned in the movie.[IMG][/IMG]

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Huescacho View Post
    There is a thing that nobody told... The zombies smell very bad, no?. Their bodies stink!... Nobody can smell them before they come?. Think in this idea...
    True.

I for one can smell a dead rat a few feet away. Sooo if there were dead bodies around, I assume the stink would be very ugly.

As a PS, I notice that some zombies are "faster" than others. Tom Savini's zombie in LoTD moves with a sense of knowing as he sliced through people.

~The Zombie Hunter's Bible~

"Don't go to the Mall without it!"
    -Tom Sullivan, The EvilDead"

Undisclosed

Wink elementary!

This shiit has been talked about over and over again,its so simple just take yourself back to what attacted you to the genre in the first fuuuckin place!

And from what i can gather for most of us it was either seeing the original Night or Dawn!!!

Ready everyone? Repeat after me!

"SLOW, QUIET, AND DUMB" and as an added bonus no stupid facial exprestions... remember talking about zombies here,not president Bush!

United States
    Rhodes clearly implied that with Miguel out of the way, it would "give some of the rest of us [meaning him specifically, but implying his men might have a chance] a shot at some lovin'." I agree that as undisciplined a bunch as Rhodes and his men were, there would have been rape attempts, and given how pussy her fellow doctors Fisher and Logan were, these attempts would have succeeded. I don't think the soldiers ever respected Miguel because he was not white; they make multiple racial slurs about Miguel every chance they get, particularly Sergeant Steel.

A lot of post-apocalyptic movies (zombie or otherwise) fail to take human nature into account. Lawless situation + available, vulnerable women = rape. Not to say that all men would do so, but all it takes is one, and I don't think it would take too long before some guy decided "what the hell, I'm gonna die anyway, might as well get some before I go." I think that rape is glossed over or not addressed at all because it is considered unpleasant to portray and could affect the film's rating.

I don't think Sarah would have used her feminine wiles because she was too much of an egghead feminist to even consider it. It wasn't in her character. But you can bet that a lot of other women would be using their feminine wiles to manipulate their way to safety, even with those scumbag soldiers in the bunker.

Being Rhodes' woman would make you untouchable and ensure you got the best of everything... at least, until he tired of you. But if you were the only woman left in the world, that wouldn't be likely. Of course, it wouldn't be too long before Steel or one of the others got it in their head that they should kill Rhodes, take command, and get the girl. The girl could easily manipulate Steel or one of the other men into such a move if she ever became disenchanted with the good captain's treatment of her... A fact that might not be lost on even as big a jerk as Rhodes.
    Last edited by Todd Tjersland; 19-Jan-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    DEATHBREED: A Zombie Novel
    by Todd Tjersland, The Visionary Overlord of American Horror
    Creator of The Necro Files and Faces of Gore