Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mafia 2 - looks pretty damn cool to me...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WTF is up with the 10 minute time limit on the demo?! This time limit shit on demos is getting really annoying.

Other than that, I thought it was pretty awesome. Very realistic and A LOT of attention to detail.

-Being able to open your fridge and grab some food to eat or something to drink is something I've never seen before.
    -Getting in a real bad car accident will result in death, which is cool.
    -Collecting/looking at the old Playboys is definitely a plus!

I haven't done it yet, but I heard if you get into a minor car accident and a cop sees it, he'll pull you over and write you a ticket. That's so awesome - it always annoyed me in Saints Row and GTA games that no matter how minor your offense the cops would go berzerk and either kill you or arrest you.

Undisclosed
    I played it for a couple of hours last night and I have to say I think the campaign missions and story will make the game... While Rockstar gets alot of hype around there games I will say the make environments that really seem to be alive. Since GTA IV other sandbox games just seem stagnant... At least in regards to pedestrians... There AI programing and use of euphoria is really 2nd to none.

That said I dig the voice acting,story telling and gunplay mechanics. I look forward to the full game.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 29-Aug-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Super Moderator

UK
    10 minute time limit? How strange ... I'd have thought they'd just take a chunk of the game world and block it off so you can only play in a certain area ... a time limit doesn't make much sense really.

And yeah, I've played demos in the past with time limits, it always annoyed me (such as the time limited demo for the original GTA - I never played the full game, just the demo, lol)

As for being written a ticket - does that mean getting into an accident with a cop car, or in the vicinity of a cop car? And while the 'death if getting into a bad accident' sounds like a nifty idea in the game world, I can't help but wonder if it'll stifle some of the reckless fun that sandbox games represent - I've also seen on a preview video that they've put in a system whereby the cops can recognise you - so you have to change your clothes and/or switch car to avoid being detected ... kind of like in RDR where you have to pay off your bounty, I suppose.

I'm really looking forward to Mafia 2.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just get in an accident within sight of them. Or with them. A ticket, either way. I don't think this will take away the reckless fun at all. I feel like it'll increase it.

Just think: you know the cop wants to pull you over to write you a ticket. Do you do it or do you start up a high-speed chase, which will certainly not end in a ticket?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Just get in an accident within sight of them. Or with them. A ticket, either way. I don't think this will take away the reckless fun at all. I feel like it'll increase it.

Just think: you know the cop wants to pull you over to write you a ticket. Do you do it or do you start up a high-speed chase, which will certainly not end in a ticket?
    Interesting ... ... and seeing footage from the demo, I'm digging the collectible issues of vintage Playboy.

England
    Just about finished downloading the demo off steam, looking forward to a blast at this! is the demo a one play deal for 10 mins, or can you play those 10 mins repeatedly? Demos arent half tight these days! When the L4D2 one came out last year it uninstalled itself from my PC after 2 weeks!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Just about finished downloading the demo off steam, looking forward to a blast at this! is the demo a one play deal for 10 mins, or can you play those 10 mins repeatedly? Demos arent half tight these days! When the L4D2 one came out last year it uninstalled itself from my PC after 2 weeks!
    It's got a timer once you pick up the phone and start the mission...Which you have to do to leave the house you spawn in. But you can do what ever you like in those ten minutes...

After I did the mission I just kept playing ten minutes at a time to check out the world... Also if you die and you are not were the mission sends you to and you die you will just respawn back at the beginning with another 10 minutes.
    Among the Dead

England
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    It's got a timer once you pick up the phone and start the mission...Which you have to do to leave the house you spawn in. But you can do what ever you like in those ten minutes...

After I did the mission I just kept playing ten minutes at a time to check out the world... Also if you die and you are not were the mission sends you to and you die you will just respawn back at the beginning with another 10 minutes.
    Yeah I see what you mean, played it now! Very promising game, I love the soundtrack when you get in cars! game world feels pretty realistic, plenty of cool detail & physics, and the story line looks like it will be awesome, just like playing goodfellas or something!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah I see what you mean, played it now! Very promising game, I love the soundtrack when you get in cars! game world feels pretty realistic, plenty of cool detail & physics, and the story line looks like it will be awesome, just like playing goodfellas or something!
    Yeah, me thinks this gta style gameplay is hitting it's stride with this, RDR, etc.

The ironic thing is those games are much better than the classic gta gameplay (3, san adreas, 4, liberty city), imo, where you're just basically going on an entended crimespree.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Just been playing the demo again, I pulled a gun out in the street, a guy stood near me pulled a gun on me, I put mine away quickly & a cop saw him still stood there holding his gun, so they surrounded him, then he tried to run away & they shot him! the cops who shot him got back in their car & drove off, then another cop car came along & they started checking out the scene of the shooting! love details like that

Super Moderator

UK
    Just been playing the demo again, I pulled a gun out in the street, a guy stood near me pulled a gun on me, I put mine away quickly & a cop saw him still stood there holding his gun, so they surrounded him, then he tried to run away & they shot him! the cops who shot him got back in their car & drove off, then another cop car came along & they started checking out the scene of the shooting! love details like that
    I'm so going to try that out when I get the game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One week bitches !

I'll be very interested to see how this stacks up to RDR.

Me thinks any game of this type will be compared to it for some time to call.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    Well today is release day! I havent got it yet but was wondering if any of you guys have & what your first impressions of the full game are!

Undisclosed
    I played it for a couple of hours last night and I have to say I think the campaign missions and story will make the game... While Rockstar gets alot of hype around there games I will say the make environments that really seem to be alive. Since GTA IV other sandbox games just seem stagnant... At least in regards to pedestrians... There AI programing and use of euphoria is really 2nd to none.

That said I dig the voice acting,story telling and gunplay mechanics. I look forward to the full game.

^^This.... Beat the game and as a sandbox game its no good. The campaign was worthy. Fun story.
    Among the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^This.... Beat the game and as a sandbox game its no good. The campaign was worthy. Fun story.
    No good? How so?