Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BioShock 2 Getting Special Edition Treatment

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, and the insistence on showing shoddy 40 second clips of multiplayer "run and gun action" isn't doing much good either. BioShock had encounters, but it wasn't about intense action - the action was brought on by the drama and the setting and the back story, as well as the difficulty level you set it on (so an encounter with a Big Daddy could turn into a right old ruck if you so wished).

This stuff where you defend the Little Sister feels too much like "let's just have a load of shooting", and it feels like they're missing the point of the original game.

I certainly won't be buying BioShock 2 straight away, for more than one reason. I've spent enough cash recently already, I've still got tons more of The Saboteur to play, and what I've seen of BS2 doesn't inspire me to drop release day cash on it.

I came to BS1 late, so I'll come to BS2 late ... albeit for different reasons.

There seems to be a drip-drip-drip of bullshit going on across videogames, and I think it's all going to come to a head sometime with the consumers.

capncnut
    Just finished Bioshock. Actually, the second half was much easier and more interesting to play than the first. That said, early glimpses into Bioshock 2 on XBL seem rather lame to me. Other than dual-wielding weapons, and playing as a Big Daddy, it's just a rehash set in the same shithole that I escaped from ten minutes ago.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    the more i see the worse its getting, for one they think "it can have up to 6 sequels!".

fuck you assholes, fuck you. this is system shock 3, change it again, set it on an alien world were colonizing in the future, or in the 19th century eastern europe or something and call it something elseshock. bioshock was a stand alone single player experience, an experience in the truest sense of the word. ill play this sure, but i am really not hopeful.

The worst thing a game developer/movie maker can do is make a film with future installments of the series in mind.

The Matrix was aperfect example. It was a great stand alone movie that didn't need any sequels. However, Matrix reloaded reeked of something that had an eye toward the third film and imo, that's why it wasn't what it could have been.

It just detracts from the current project and never allows it to fully shine like it's supposed to.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Interesting. I found the first half of the game better than the second half. The difficulty was kinda the same thoughout for me though. The better I got at the controls, and upgrading with plasmids etc, matched the increased pace of the game ... so I found anyway.

I really enjoyed the early portions of the game where you're discovering this world, and getting snippets of it's horrific past - fascinating and creepy as fuck.

BioShock 2, with it's seeming insistence on shooting everything, appears to have completely missed the point. We'll see I guess, and while I briefly wanted to pre-order this title months ago, I certainly don't want to now - and as such BioShock 2 will have to wait until I've played a whole screed of other games that are on my list (either currently released or coming soon).

Canada
    Bioshock was pitifully easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. C'mon, you respawn with no ill effects everytime you die, and you can save whenever the fuck you want.

This can be mitigated by turning vita chambers off, but it is still easy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Bioshock was pitifully easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. C'mon, you respawn with no ill effects everytime you die, and you can save whenever the fuck you want.

This can be mitigated by turning vita chambers off, but it is still easy.

My crystal ball tells me that in the future more and more games will have an A.I. director ala left 4 dead. Seems like a good solution. What normal difficulty is for you might be damn near impossible for me.

It's like veteran difficulty in MW2. I was the only one of my friends that was able to get through it (without smashing every controller in the house that is).

Imo, don't get me wrong, it tough but doable with a little patience.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

BioShock 2 Single-Player DLC Surfaces In August

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Story-Driven BioShock 2 DLC Coming

Here's another update.

Now this is what I'm talking about. Multiplayer DLC really doesn't do it for me.

Now story driven Dlc is what gets me going. Same with Red dead redemption. They're coming out with 4 seperate DLC's but me thinks the only one that's going to get my hard earned money is the single player story add-on.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1110577p1.html

Super Moderator

UK
    I've still not played BioShock 2, perhaps one day when I'm in a right old gaming drought I will, but with other titles on my "to do" list, and hellsing's mauling of it via PM when I was considering getting it a while ago ... it's right down at the bottom of the list.

A shame really, because BioShock was awesome (aside from that iffy 'be a Big Daddy to the little sister' level, and the level where you build yourself a BD suit which wasn't awe-inspiring enough) ... that first level is just awesome, not a lot of action happens, but there's so much Rapture going on, if you know what I mean - just discovering this crumbling undersea world and seeing all the little tragic stories scattered around all over the place long after their occurring etc ... plus for the most part the level design was just fantastic and you were just in-awe of being in Rapture.

However, it doesn't sound like BS2 is the same ... and the focus on Multiplayer and shooting a lot of the time seems to miss the point (or part of the point anyway) in BioShock generally.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know in what thread it was but a while back i said that the developer's obsession with multiplayer is ruining the single player experience.

RE 5 is a prime example.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I don't know in what thread it was but a while back i said that the developer's obsession with multiplayer is ruining the single player experience.

RE 5 is a prime example.

I've been struck by how shooters have been swamped with multiplayer obsession - MW2 was covered in it (no "MW2 is teh g4yz0rz!!1!1!one!1!" comments please ... for crying out loud ) ... and the up-coming Medal of Honour game is even worse.

I've seen shreds of single player action, but oodles of multiplayer videos - utterly OODLES of them. It pisses me off ... MW2's campaign mode did suffer in some respects from the focus on MP, as well as Spec-Ops muscling in ... and the new MOH game, from the looks of how the preview videos are going (and E3 showings etc), is going to be even worse ... everything being secondary to the fucking MP!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've been struck by how shooters have been swamped with multiplayer obsession - MW2 was covered in it (no "MW2 is teh g4yz0rz!!1!1!one!1!" comments please ... for crying out loud ) ... and the up-coming Medal of Honour game is even worse.

I've seen shreds of single player action, but oodles of multiplayer videos - utterly OODLES of them. It pisses me off ... MW2's campaign mode did suffer in some respects from the focus on MP, as well as Spec-Ops muscling in ... and the new MOH game, from the looks of how the preview videos are going (and E3 showings etc), is going to be even worse ... everything being secondary to the fucking MP!
    For me the only MP i enjoy is L4D.

In that you actually get to play the campaigns but with 4 friends. So it's more like a 4-8 player co-op.

But i have zero interest in playing capture the flag, etc., over and over.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    For me the only MP i enjoy is L4D.

In that you actually get to play the campaigns but with 4 friends. So it's more like a 4-8 player co-op.

But i have zero interest in playing capture the flag, etc., over and over.

ditto. playing constant games of "virtual-murder' where there is only one outcome is boring and depressing.

Playing a game where its you and some friends working together to achieve a goal and now your talking fun. It's why i will take left 4 dead, world of warcraft and rock band over capture the flag, king of the hill and various other shooter bollox when its always some lame attempt to stop people realising they have payed another $50 for just more "push up on the left stick and hold down the right trigger. again".
    Sure thats over simplifying it, but theres no chance for self expression when its just 'kill for points' at the end of the day.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But doncha just love spawning and getting your brains blown out in 2 seconds?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Playing a game where its you and some friends working together to achieve a goal and now your talking fun.
    Speaking of which, has anyone tried out Castlevania: Harmony of Despair? I heard the singleplayer sucks, but rocks as a multiplayer loot-grabbing hack and slash. I'm still on the fence.

As far as Bioshock 2, still haven't had the slightest interest to try it out. Maybe one of these days.