Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All this hoo-ha about muslim women and their veils (niqab)...

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes, a news reader on the BBC ... forget the name, but yeah, a total load of crap kicked up about a small crucifix necklace - meanwhile there was a Muslim spokesperson talking about the issue and he was saying that most Muslims, himself included, couldn't give a buggery whether she was sporting Jesus' last hang out ... *winces* too close-a pun? I claim the 1st *teehee*

All I can say is what a load of bollocks - I'm very much an Athiest and I couldn't care if she's wearing one - that's something to think about, it's never about what an Athiest might think or how they might take offence? hehe, but then again we're a lazy bunch.

Positive discrimination ... what a crock of poopy, eh?

Kazakhstan
    i appreciate all the points raised, but i still don't think it's that big a deal. someone fully veiled cannot teach a class? nuns teach and have taught thousands of children in this country, and the only difference is you can see their nose & mouth.

i don't know about all this when in rome stuff. i stand by it as far as not subjugating women or making animal sacrifices in the street, but surely what you wear is of no consequence? i personally would find a woman in a veil more approachable than say, a gang of skinheads or leigh bowery.

the amish, pagans, nudists, furries, klingon nuts, rastas, vampires, survivalists and commune hippies dont do as the many of us do, but we accept them all the same, or at least, we do not demand that they conform to our standards.

sikhs often have turbans and large beards, their features are almost as obscured (ok ...you can see their nose & lips) and are among the only persons in the UK allowed to carry knives on their person in public, again, though, it's not an issue.

i think our innate human xenophobia (because as civilised and liberal as we are, it's instinct to fear the different, but it is also the virtue & endeavour of the sentient being to challenge these instincts & try to progress) mixed with a very real fear of islamic fundamentalism has created a frustration with muslims that usually simmered, but after the various terrorists attacks and overreactions from the muslim community over the rushdie, mohammed cartoon and recent pope incidents, is beginning to boil and over and people, fuelled by the media and diplomatically tactless (though competent) politicians like jack straw, are getting intolerant & snipey.

perhaps we should simply advise muslims not to emigrate to this country, instead of encouraging people into our workforce and the supressing their customs.

and again, it must be noted that a VERY small amount of muslim women overall wear a full veil. how many have you seen recently?

we must be cautious not to be manipulated, strange things are happening in the world.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    nuns teach and have taught thousands of children in this country, and the only difference is you can see their nose & mouth.
    Yep, that's pretty much the problem.

Do they wear they veils when posing for a passport or a driving licence? Should they be able to walk into a bank with them on?

I don't give a monkeys about their religion, the problem is that they are hiding their identity and to kids the only people who should be wearing a mask are wrestlers.