Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Incredible Hulk... Looks poor...

United States
    gotta agree with terran about the CGI. was thinking of starting a thread about how sick i am of hollywood substituting CGI effects for good story-telling in films these days.

aside from the new batman films, i've also had enough super-hero films, particularly those from marvel. as much as i respect some of the actors attached to this one, i hope this film hits the theaters like a 25-ton pile of pigsh!t filled with maggots. maybe it'll give a hint to studios that they need to piss off with crap films. (but i doubt it)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    CGI is an awesome tool if used correctly to slightly enhance the film. The bad thing is, too many directors completely rely on it. In small doses, though....you never know it's there.

United States
    How can you do a proper Hulk without CGI?

I for one am looking foward to the movie, but I'm a Hulk fan, so there ya go.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't hate CGI, I just hate it when it's used poorly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Acealive
    so you'd rather someone develop a case of sudden gigantism and be painted green raither than use CGI?
    I think that it should only be used to enhance other sorts of special effects....

Like spaceships look much better when made from models and if CGI was used to enhance these images they would look even better....

Makeup and animatronics with creative camera work I feel looks more realistic and better than CGI ....and if CGI was used to enhance these things they could make it look even better...

The Hulk would look scores better if it was an animatronic like suit or costume monstrocity that was enhanced with CGI to look more fluid in its movements and tiny details....

But the probelm with combining these techniques is of course the price...because essentially your paying for double the amount of effects....a whole team of animatronics workers....a whole team of makeup artists....a whole team required to run these things every day of filming...and a whole team to do the CGI.... but this would look so so so so much more convincing....

Like look how convincing the T-Rex was in the original Jurrasic Park...that was mostly animatronic(least the parts that looked most real)...That seems like a good size analogue.....

A CGI creature made from CGI alone is like oil in water....it never seems real.... it looks like a cartoon that doesnt belong
    Last edited by Terran; 04-Jun-2008 at 11:02 PM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Well... The reviews seem positive

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36974
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Well that review is meaningless to me...

I liked Ang Lee's Hulk, but it wasn't the Hulk that I fell in love with as a child.
    *shakes head*

I dont think we can view this reviewer as a very objectional critic of a hulk movie if the person liked that movie

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Well that review is meaningless to me...

*shakes head*

I dont think we can view this reviewer as a very objectional critic of a hulk movie if the person liked that movie
    There's at least 3 or 4 reviews on there... Not just one...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Ahhhhh Ha!!!!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    How can you do a proper Hulk without CGI?

Like that.

They just had a cgi Hulk movie very recently. WTF is the point of this?

Undisclosed
    Guess I am the minority here. I think it looks pretty good. It is what it is, an action driven movie about the one and only Incredible Hulk with quite a few tie ins with other recent and upcoming Marvel films. Kinda cool how they are creating their own little movie universe where each film kinda nods to the others. mark my words boyos......you will be singing a better tune AFTER (if) you see this movie or I will personally send Uwe Boll a sickeningly sweet fan letter as my penenace for having faith in this movie

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

Like that.

They just had a cgi Hulk movie very recently. WTF is the point of this?
    All respect to the old show, that s*%t wouldn't fly today. Besides, the Hulk is gigantic, and tall.

Canada
    and he can punch an asteroid that is twice the size of earth in two pieces with one punch.

Undisclosed
    And he can crush a bowlingball in his buttocks!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm seeing a lot of great reviews for this flick. Usually around 9/10. Looks like the naysayers could be wrong....

Anybody here seen the TV spot with Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.)? I thought it was supposed to be a big cameo for the fans/Marvel universe, but they put it in the advertising?

SRP - I have a bit of a soft spot for the old Hulk TV show, but in the comics, isn't hulk supposed to be huge? About 12 feet tall or something. CGI is pretty much the only way they could accomplish that.

Super Moderator

United States
    I, for one, would love to be wrong about this movie, buuuuut I'll cross that bridge if we get to it. The cast, as said, is solid but the the trailers are weak and the initial hold off on the screening and marketing of this film made a lot of people question the project, hell it seemed like it had almost been written off already by the producers.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany