Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LotR (extended) Blurays... Two discs PER film?

Super Moderator

UK
    But then Blu-Rays are high def, which means vastly bigger files, especially if they're going for a really sweet encode ... so with really long films I'd imagine they'd have to do that. I mean, look at the DVDs - they could have crammed each film onto one DVD, but the quality would have been particularly low ... plus just springing to mind, you've got to factor in some extra features, and specifically in BR's case - the uncompressed audio.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They should wait and put these on the BDXL format which is 128gb per disc.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So if you're excited for the extended cuts of LOTR on blu ray, you will probably be excited to know that they're also coming to the big screen.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So if you're excited for the extended cuts of LOTR on blu ray, you will probably be excited to know that they're also coming to the big screen.
    I've done the big screen experience with these films... I'm more than happy with the better image and sound of my living room TBH now
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Have the extended versions played in theaters? I thought this was a first....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Have the extended versions played in theaters? I thought this was a first....
    Mmmm...IIRC there was at least talk at the time of doing a limited (re)release of the the extended versions. I can't remember if they followed through with it? :unsure:

England
    As much as I love the films, I wish they would just release the definitive edition from the start, rather than blatant cashing in by releasing a new version slightly longer every now and again. They do it with a lot of films & it really bugs me because its footage they've always had from the start, so why not release it all to start with? its like this DLC fad in the gaming industry..

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well they have to streamline the films to appeal to general audiences. Release the trimmed and faster-paced version for everyone, then later release the hefty version for the hardcore fans.

In this "general audience" member's opinion....the theatrical versions could have used MORE trimming.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Apr-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Plus if effects shots are cut before the theatrical run, but are then cut back in to a longer cut of the movie - which is very common - then they have to finish all those effects shots, edit them into full sequences, score them, do sound effects, etc ... so that takes time. Like the extended version(s) of Avatar - a whole bunch more money went into creating those, so it does take time.

However, what is daft/annoying for the fans is releasing the theatricals on BR first, then a while later putting out the extended versions - so those that want the extended have to wait longer, or those who aren't aware have to ruddy well double dip. It pays to investigate home video purchases before you get them oftentimes ... particularly with 'event releases' like these.