Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony... (**NEW** trailer)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Soooo....anybody got any news to report on Episodes From Liberty City? I generally don't do DLC, so I've got the little lady at the store right now. Is it worth the 30 buck price tag?

United States
    i thought it had a 40 dollar price tag?

lost and the damned was fun, good stuff. lots of biker action, cool camera modes, fun missions, good story. my big complaint about that game was the fac that you only had one safe house.

haven't got around to gay tony yet, but i hear that it's a good time as well. lots more new weapons, activities, and some of the zany stuff is back, such as helicopter fights, skydiving, a tank (although it's not a mean mofo, but one with wheels, kinda like a swat tank), and some new music.

both games are on the disc, and significantly boost the replay value of GTA4, so i'd say give it a go.

i'd have downloaded gay tony by now, but i let my brother borrow the gta4 disc and have already paid for the lost and the damned DLC, so i'm not running out to buy the disc version...but i can't play gay tony till i get my gta4 disc back (and it's across the state sitting unplayed while he plays nothing but call of duty 4)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Soooo....anybody got any news to report on Episodes From Liberty City? I generally don't do DLC, so I've got the little lady at the store right now. Is it worth the 30 buck price tag?
    Generally i wouldn't pay more than 20 for dlc and tha's for something large like the Lost and the Damned.

If it's not 30+ hours long like the Shivering Ilses expansion to elder scrolls IV there's no way a pricetag like that is justifiable.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    I got the disc version, and yesterday I finished the story mode of Lost & Damned - having not had it as DLC, because I don't have XBL. I've put in about 15 hours for L&D, and Gay Tony will probably be around about that too, so 30+ hours for £25 is cool by me - GTA IV retailed at £40, but I did get like 170 hours out of that ... seriously (two play-throughs and LOTS of fucking around).

I haven't gotten onto Gay Tony yet, as I'm waiting to play that after MW2 gets here (which I'll no doubt blast through in a couple of days, whereas GTA games I take a lot longer to play through, so...)

As for Lost & Damned, some of the early missions are terrible - poorly crafted, and you can easily get killed, or have almost all of your health rinsed in seconds. However, after those first few disappointing/fucking annoying missions it gets much more fun and the action is better handled.

Also, cruising around on the choppers is really fun, as is the cammeraderie with your fellow bikers. The story isn't amazing by any means, it's really stuff that just happened concurrent to GTA IV, hence the diamonds story is back again from a different angle - which is cool, but not groundbreaking at all.

Klebitz isn't quite as cool as Niko Bellic, but he's better than I'd been led to believe. You're a badass biker, and that's pretty cool. You'll also spend a lot more time in Alderney, which was kinda skirted over a bit in GTA IV (Broker, Bohan, and Algonquin being the ones that got the most of a look-in during that game).

Aye, only have one - and briefly two - safe houses is annoying, but on the other hand you don't have your friends pestering you all the time to hang out. In fact, I was never once pestered. I was the one engaging any man-dates, and that's all.

It doesn't out-stay it's welcome either, which is good. The Gang Wars side-missions are fun, but become generic and repetitive after a while, as do the races which are only spiced up a little bit by the inclusion of bat-based hitting of opponents - but once you're ahead, you'll have no need to hit anyone and just win the race.

The new music and radio stuff is cool too - including the return of Fernando (from GTA Vice City) on the Vice City radio station. More Lazlow too, and a bunch of kick arse songs.

There's also side missions (intimidation, blackmail and killing) that you do for a politician called Stubbs (who gets his cock out in one cutscene - full frontal nudity in an adult game at last ... shame it was a dude ), which are generally cool. Finally, there's a few of those short missions that you'd get with a figure of a person on your map. About 3 or 4 of those, and that wraps it up.

Like I said, I've only so far done Lost & Damned (just got 8 more (out of 25) Gang Wars to do and then I'll be pretty much done, as I can't be arsed with races). It's cool to see how it links in with GTA IV, but turn off the "grain" option as it's just annoying. The game is better looking without that crap gimmick turned on.

So yeah, Gay Tony will follow sometime soon, but seeing Lost & Damned I can see where some of the missions of Gay Tony will fit in and what they'll entail - i.e. more diamond related plot, which should be cool.

I've heard that Gay Tony does feature a few pish missions - IGN calling them "the worst in GTA history" - but whether that means impossibly frustrating, or just boring I don't know (hopefully the latter because you can just bash them out and be done with them). Otherwise though, it has been well received, and is essentially more of the same you got with GTA IV, but in Gay Tony's case, it's more about the glitz and glamour of Liberty City, as well as being more brash and explosion-oriented.

I think once I have played Gay Tony, I'll have had my fill of GTA IV's world, and apparently that will indeed be it - and I think that's a good idea. A new-gen Vice City type game in the 1970s is what I want.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Nov-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I haven't gotten onto Gay Tony yet

I'm not touching that one.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

I've just been reading around on some reviews and it looks like most people prefer Gay Tony over Lost and Damned. More stuff to do apparently.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

I've just been reading around on some reviews and it looks like most people prefer Gay Tony over Lost and Damned. More stuff to do apparently.

Maybe it's just me but i enjoyed San Andreas much more than this one. I can't quite put my finger on why though. It seems to me that developers are too obsessed with pretty graphics nowdays and have forgotten how to innovate. it's a big reason why left 4 dead is so huge. Love it or hate it there's nothing else like it right now and thus people flock to it in order to see what it's all about. RE 5 is way prettier and polished than RE4 but i'll bet if we made it into a poll it would be virtually unanimous that RE 4 is the better game.

Super Moderator

UK

lol, I walked into that one...

I think I'll end up preferring it too, however I quite enjoyed Lost & Damned. It's no GTA IV and Klebitz is no Bellic, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I might after hearing many reviews about it and having a middling sense of "meh" about it. So it was better than my expectations ... aside from those first few missions. Also, the navigation lines on the map when you have to go to a location in Gang Wars mode was full of bugs. Also, a few times, I'd get flipped into the air and crash land on my face because of a glitch in the road.

Will play Gay Tony the videogame () after MW2 spunks all over the world's face though, and quite possibly after Ghostbusters, which I might very well just start playing now that I've done all I wanted to do with Lost & Damned last night.

Maybe it's just me but i enjoyed San Andreas much more than this one. I can't quite put my finger on why though. It seems to me that developers are too obsessed with pretty graphics nowdays and have forgotten how to innovate. it's a big reason why left 4 dead is so huge. Love it or hate it there's nothing else like it right now and thus people flock to it in order to see what it's all about. RE 5 is way prettier and polished than RE4 but i'll bet if we made it into a poll it would be virtually unanimous that RE 4 is the better game.
    Apparently Gay Tony injects more of that San Andreas fun that people have been pining for.

Although I don't get all the love of San Andreas. The main character was crap, and the story was fucking awful, plus by the time it came out the engine was so insanely out-of-date it was kinda embarrassing.

My main and persisting problem with GTA IV is there's no mode to "just have fun", so you don't get the cops on you in a second flat, and in the game in general the cops get on your arse way too quickly and spoil your rampage fun.

And - as far as I know - there's still no silenced pistol.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I decided to switch it up and started with BoGT. So far it's a blast. I'm just scared it's going to be over too soon. In which case I'll just start L&D, so whatever.

Is it just me or does it just feel strange when you first start playing as someone other than Niko? Just spending so much time in that environment as one character and then suddenly being another in the same environment felt kinda "off" to me at first. I dunno...

capncnut
    There's also side missions (intimidation, blackmail and killing) that you do for a politician called Stubbs (who gets his cock out in one cutscene - full frontal nudity in an adult game at last ... shame it was a dude ), which are generally cool.
    Yeah, that scene had me creasing up.

But there's full frontal nudity of both sexes in Fahrenheit though.

Super Moderator

UK
    I decided to switch it up and started with BoGT. So far it's a blast. I'm just scared it's going to be over too soon. In which case I'll just start L&D, so whatever.

Is it just me or does it just feel strange when you first start playing as someone other than Niko? Just spending so much time in that environment as one character and then suddenly being another in the same environment felt kinda "off" to me at first. I dunno...
    Be sure to give me your BoGT impressions (spoiler free) as-and-when dude.

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Yeah, that scene had me creasing up.

But there's full frontal nudity of both sexes in Fahrenheit though.
    Fahrenheit, you say?

It was hilarious how they kept teasing the cock shot for ages, and then - blammo - l'il Stubbs up in your eye.

capncnut
    Fahrenheit, you say?
    Except for North America, where the game is called Indigo Prophecy and heavily censored. But as for us Brits, not only do we get a proper flash of vag, many a tit scene and an actual sex side game, we also get the first full blown boner in videogame history.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Except for North America, where the game is called Indigo Prophecy and heavily censored. But as for us Brits, not only do we get a proper flash of vag, many a tit scene and an actual sex side game, we also get the first full blown boner in videogame history.
    I'm shocked this game passed me by. I mean - ME! Come on...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One thing that instantly makes BoGT awesone = Parachutes.

I friggin loved sky diving in San Andreas and i'm extremely thrilled to have it back. There's nothing quite like jumping off the empire state building.

Super Moderator

UK
    One thing that instantly makes BoGT awesone = Parachutes.

I friggin loved sky diving in San Andreas and i'm extremely thrilled to have it back. There's nothing quite like jumping off the empire state building.
    A question - do you always have a parachute, or do you have to keep buying them somewhere whenever you use one to replace it?