Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: letting off some steam

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Why don't you join a temping agency or apply to the local council for jobs?
    yeah...temp agencies here dont work. one tried to tell me to get my work records on my own....thats THEIR job. and imagine making $10 an hour through a temp agency while the guy next to u got hired in directly and hes making double what u are.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Why don't you join a temping agency or apply to the local council for jobs?
    I think in the UK you have an employment bureau/ local council system that actually works. Our only equivalent is very inefficient and causes more folks to give up on searching for work and instead be content to wait at home for the welfare checks to come in than finding gainful employment for the applicants.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I think in the UK you have an employment bureau/ local council system that actually works. Our only equivalent is very inefficient and causes more folks to give up on searching for work and instead be content to wait at home for the welfare checks to come in than finding gainful employment for the applicants.
    Very true!! Our system is a complete joke.

Ace, making 10$ and hour is better than just minimum wage. . no matter what the guy sitting next to you makes. And those temp jobs can lead to permanent hiring sometimes.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

Ace, making 10$ and hour is better than just minimum wage. . no matter what the guy sitting next to you makes. And those temp jobs can lead to permanent hiring sometimes.
    Clang is correct. I actually once got a semi-permanent position through a random temp gig. (I say semi-permanent because, in the end, I elected to leave for higher paying positions elsewhere) They like to hire from the temp agencies because it saves them the headache of having to go through the process, plus they get to try you for a "trial run" to see if you are any good. So if you get a temp gig, take it seriously and work as if the boss is standing behind you, watching you to see how efficient you are. You stand a good chance of getting a gig through them if you kick ass at your temp positions since most of the idiots at temp agencies are lazy workers who don't care and are not very smart, motivated or knowledgable about computers and software. I know you got them beat, so if you go that route you will probably score a decent gig within your first 2 or 3 placements.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    yeah...temp agencies here dont work. one tried to tell me to get my work records on my own....thats THEIR job. and imagine making $10 an hour through a temp agency while the guy next to u got hired in directly and hes making double what u are.

Yeah,temp agencies suck.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    seriously if you want to make decent money with no skills and are willing to learn take the union apprenticeship. Its tough work but you will learn excellent skills that will serve you well once the zombie plague happens.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    seriously if you want to make decent money with no skills and are willing to learn take the union apprenticeship. Its tough work but you will learn excellent skills that will serve you well once the zombie plague happens.
    agreed, theres an electrical union here but u risk getting ur boots shocked off for $9 an hour on HUGe jobs and that isnt much.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

yea....not worth it at all. its like a bully getting his cut and leaving u with the scraps.
    Last edited by acealive1; 13-Aug-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

Undisclosed
    agreed, theres an electrical union here but u risk getting ur boots shocked off for $9 an hour on HUGe jobs and that isnt much.
    forget electricians union, take up a carpenters apprenticeship. They pay much more, you learn good skills, meet good guys, and you will save tons on your house when you learn a little framing, flooring, sheething etc. I took the apprenticeship a few years back when I needed cash, but I was also looking to get into real estate so i figured i would need skills that would help out in that. So i figured wood working and carpentry would help, and they have. Not only can I build and repair my own house if I needed to but I also get to bid out small jobs as a private sub contractor and make easy money. Last month I cleared 10 G's just for redoing a rich guy I know sub floors. Took me a Saturday and a Sunday 10G in my pocket.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    forget electricians union, take up a carpenters apprenticeship. They pay much more, you learn good skills, meet good guys, and you will save tons on your house when you learn a little framing, flooring, sheething etc. I took the apprenticeship a few years back when I needed cash, but I was also looking to get into real estate so i figured i would need skills that would help out in that. So i figured wood working and carpentry would help, and they have. Not only can I build and repair my own house if I needed to but I also get to bid out small jobs as a private sub contractor and make easy money. Last month I cleared 10 G's just for redoing a rich guy I know sub floors. Took me a Saturday and a Sunday 10G in my pocket.
    i got a guy i know thats a carpenter and he re did our bathroom, if i learn from anyone it'd be him. he could probably get me in the classes for carpentry fairly quickly. and yes they say charge rich people more LOL

United States
    I agree with Khardis. That union gig seems like a really good deal, much more lucrative than going the temp route.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I agree with Khardis. That union gig seems like a really good deal, much more lucrative than going the temp route.
    When I had gone in to take my apprenticeship its funny... learning carpentry actually made sense to me "just in case" there ever was a REAL zombie apocalypse... then Max Brooks wrote World War Z and he had a chapter with a dude talking about how all the corporate execs became unskilled labor while all the carpenters and masons etc became the new elite class. It probably would be something like that.

i got a guy i know thats a carpenter and he re did our bathroom, if i learn from anyone it'd be him. he could probably get me in the classes for carpentry fairly quickly. and yes they say charge rich people more LOL
    Hope he is union, if he is not, he would probably get you a non union scab carpentry job, where you wont make as much, get zero bennies and work incredibly dangerous conditions.
    Last edited by Khardis; 14-Aug-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    good advice. not only the carpenter's union but since you live in a large city there is probably an iron worker's union and a plumber's union too. both those professions make good money.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

Germany
    Ace, I think you are putting too many restrictions about what you will and will not do. I think Khardis and other folks here have given very good advice and often you just shot it down with less than well thought out objections.

You need to pay your dues in a lucrative skilled trade or a corporate profession where your extra effort will at the very least give you skills that are marketable. Paying dues in restaurants, retail, and/or sweat shops generally gets you no where. Paying dues as a carpenters apprentice will payoff. Even temp work through a temp agency can get your foot in the door into a type of company that would appreciate your extra effort and hire you on. Who cares if the temp agency is lazy. Your letting their problem further your problem. You can waste your life away bitching about your crappy job or you can do whatever it takes to get yourself into the type of work you like and allows you to support yourself.

The focus has to come off other people and their flaws, and the focus needs to be on you and what you are willing to sacrifice for now to get you where you want to be later. The sacrifice needs to be based upon what the job will pay you when you have established yourself in the field not on what you get paid to start, even if it is $9 to $10 bucks an hour to start. It is better to be at a entry-level job for $9 an hour that could lead to $40 an hour after a few good years of effort proving yourself than an $11 job that will still leave you in an $11 to $13 hour job in 3 years. If you want to be a carpenter and they are hiring apprentices get your butt down there and start. If skilled labor isn't your bag, get those temp agency jobs and work your butt off to show those businesses you are great resource for those companies.

If the economy really sucks in your area, get the skills you can and get the hell out of Dodge as soon as feasible. You aren't married, so there should be little to keep you in a specific area. Family is nice to be around, sure, but you have to look at what is best for you.

I wish you the best, man.

United States
    Go to school. Then you won't have to worry about this. Your financial aid will pay most of what you need, and a part-time job will just be a supplement. And when it's over, you'll get to do whatever you want (assuming you don't flunk out of school, of course).

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Go to school. Then you won't have to worry about this. Your financial aid will pay most of what you need, and a part-time job will just be a supplement. And when it's over, you'll get to do whatever you want (assuming you don't flunk out of school, of course).
    I think Ace said he had a degree some time ago. I could be mistaken.