Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSN down for a week, Sony rebuilding it

Super Moderator

United States
    Sony's investigations over the past week determined that an "unauthorized person" had obtained users' names, home addresses, e-mail addresses, birth dates and passwords, according to a statement being sent to all account holders.
    Immediately reminds me of...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    We are getting swampped with calls about this at work today. People changing their card #'s left and right.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    do they have subscriptions? what happens to those when they get back online?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man am i glad i was too lazy to put my new card in there after the one currently attached expire

United States
    Approx 12,700 non-US customer card numbers and expiration dates stolen from SOE

As previously announced, we have been conducting an ongoing, thorough investigation stemming from the cyber attack in April and promised to notify you should there be any changes to the situation.

We issued a press release today outlining these details. We will promptly send a customer service notification via email to all of our impacted account holders whose customer data may have been stolen as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. This information was discovered less than 24 hours ago and in response, we took down our services until we could verify their security.

SOE is committed to delivering secure, stable and entertaining games for players of all ages and we're working around the clock to ensure this situation is resolved as quickly as possible. We deeply regret the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your continued patience and feedback.

Sincerely,
    Sony Online Entertainment
    Customer Service Notification
    May 2, 2011

Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:
    Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained - we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE's services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
    Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1 (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.
    Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment LLC
    This has been pretty terrible for Sony, but this is like salt in their wound.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    so theres talk that it was all stored on a generic server with no firewalls. hurm.

-anyway they say we will be offered a choice of two out of 5 ps3 games for free, in the mail or direct to drive i dont know but hey, i aint gonna turn my nose up at 2 free games. i will bet good money one of them is infamous or meta gear 4, both id say snap up if you aint played them.

im guessing it wont be ea or activision games for free

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    so theres talk that it was all stored on a generic server with no firewalls. hurm.

-anyway they say we will be offered a choice of two out of 5 ps3 games for free, in the mail or direct to drive i dont know but hey, i aint gonna turn my nose up at 2 free games. i will bet good money one of them is infamous or meta gear 4, both id say snap up if you aint played them.

im guessing it wont be ea or activision games for free
    Is the free game thing just a rumor, or has that been stated somewhere? I'm just asking because it doesn't fit with the official released statement detailing the "Welcome Back" offer from Sony.

If it has been confirmed, I can only imagine that it would be two of five offered downloadable games from the PSN. I don't remember every game that was available on there, but I do remember Infamous, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, some random Prince of Persia games, and a few other odds and ends.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Is the free game thing just a rumor, or has that been stated somewhere? I'm just asking because it doesn't fit with the official released statement detailing the "Welcome Back" offer from Sony.

If it has been confirmed, I can only imagine that it would be two of five offered downloadable games from the PSN. I don't remember every game that was available on there, but I do remember Infamous, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, some random Prince of Persia games, and a few other odds and ends.
    its on kotaku, apparently the games are litle big planet, uncharted, god of war 3, ratchet and clank and infamous. personally id grab uncharted and god of war.

-though i didnt read it anywhere but most sites seem to think this is europe only since every comment section is full of "as an American, not getting this i feel more like to join a class action suit" comments. like, that statement word for word many times over.
    im guessing thats the folks who give american gamers a bad reputation online to begin with getting there fanboy on because unles i read the articles wrong it sounded like its every psn user. but i could be wrong of course.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So wait I'm confused.....American card accounts were left untouched? And for that reason Americans don't get the free dl?
    Last edited by bassman; 06-May-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So wait I'm confused.....American card accounts were left untouched? And for that reason Americans don't get the free dl?
    well according to sony the cards are all fine, names and addresses were taken and personally ive used that shit in those "win a dv camera" type things on the side of pepsi cans and i know they sell that on to telemarketing companies for revenue so personally i dont really care. - not that this hasn't stopped many teenagers from the states already attempting to sue sony for literally billions for 'mental anguish'. god forbid they can't play videogames for two weeks whilst children in other countries die in the dirt from starvation or something. they lost two weeks of blops brah!
    Which i find kinda funny, given that those folks probably all use facebook still after all it's security leaks and that wasnt just names and addresses but locations and pictures of you and your family. This seems kinda smalltime if the cards are safe and you just change your password or something when its back up.

Dying

United States
    The free games have officially been announced on the EU Playstation Blog, although it doesn't say which games are the five to choose from. The way it's worded, it looks like it will be for all PSN users, not just those in Europe. We'll know for sure if it also pops up on the US version of the blog, which usually happens after the EU one. I hope the list you provided is wrong, Hellsing, because I already own those five games. They are, after all, five of the most popular titles for the system.

Also, PSP users will get to choose two games from a list of four.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah its not stellar huh? id rather see like resistance, heavy rain, or mass effect 2 or something.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So PSN is back online. Euro users are getting free games... US users get puny in-game content for 3 games that I will never play. Damn it.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    *crawls out of cave* Hm? So people actually still use Playstations? Weird... I remember back when video game companies were video game companies! Sega, Nintendo, Atari! Um... Yeah! Wait... Credit cards? You mean that thing in my wallet that's been deactivated? Huh... Crazy computer-run world, I tell ya... *Eats a honeycomb*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Hm? So people actually still use Playstations? Weird...
    Are you trying to catch a Hellsing with that bait? If so, it may just work...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany