Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo shortage?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Blasphemy! I had figured you, of all people, would be banging away at least a couple of times a month. Get out there and find a place to shoot!

I took my 1911 to an indoor range today and put 60 rounds through it. 10 of these were a new hand load that I needed to test for function before "mass producing" (light charge, shot okay but kinda low at 25-yards, need to up the charge a bit and retest) and 50 American Eagle .45ACP (HOT factory load for my pistol, lot of muzzle flash, burned dirty, won't use again).

Lately, I've been concentrating on weak hand shooting (that is, I'm right-handed, but I've been shooting with my left hand ... first few rounds were "wild" but once I got a feel for it, I was able to keep most shots within a 9" circle at right around 5-yards, more than adequate for indoor, home-defense shooting).

This particular range has changed hands several times over the years, and had been closed for the last 8, but they're open again under new management.

http://www.miamivalleyshootinggrounds.com/

Certainly, there must be something similar in your area.

-stray-

I know this might be blashemy to the auto junkies but Im wanting a brace (2 for you kids) of 1836 Navy revolvers in metallic cartridge conversion models. I shoot better with old west iron than modern crap anyway so might as well get a couple nice ones. I'd rather have a Remington rolling block .50 than a Barrett anyways. Gotta have Vermeer rear sights, heavy octagonal barrel, gold dot front sight and quilted maple stocks. Yeah....thats how I roll.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    I know this might be blashemy to the auto junkies but Im wanting a brace (2 for you kids) of 1836 Navy revolvers in metallic cartridge conversion models.
    1836 Navy? Never heard of it, love to see a pic if there is one. Did you mean an 1851 Navy or the Patersons?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    1836 Navy? Never heard of it, love to see a pic if there is one. Did you mean an 1851 Navy or the Patersons?

Ok, had a few sunday beers over the bbq pit so you have me doubting myself. But, clouded vision still tells me I'm up on it. Not talking about the big Navies or the Patersons. Essentially, as I recall, the Navies were the platform most often used to do cartridge conversions to metallic cartridges.

Allright, how about a couple of these with an aged finish tucked into the belt shash. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Con...ConvOpener.htm
    Last edited by Crappingbear; 30-Mar-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    Ok, had a few sunday beers over the bbq pit so you have me doubting myself. But, clouded vision still tells me I'm up on it. Not talking about the big Navies or the Patersons. Essentially, as I recall, the Navies were the platform most often used to do cartridge conversions to metallic cartridges.

Allright, how about a couple of these with an aged finish tucked into the belt shash. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Con...ConvOpener.htm
    Yeah those are nice . Uberti has also jumped into the replica conversion game:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/army_...d_open_top.php

There was a book that dealt specifically with percussion conversions:

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Conversi...8445623&sr=1-1

but it looks like it's out of print.

The whole Army/Navy thing was really more of an ammo description than anything else, .36 being Navy, .44 being Army with the gunmakers just slapping that designation to their pistol makes.

Both calibers were popular for conversions but unfortunately I don't have any numbers as to which caliber really was THE most converted.

Undisclosed
    Blasphemy! I had figured you, of all people, would be banging away at least a couple of times a month. Get out there and find a place to shoot!

Certainly, there must be something similar in your area.

-stray-
    Yeah, the guns haven't seen action on the range in a few years. But I've gotten some trigger time doing a shooter's event each year. And I dry fire quite regularly. I've also given thought to shooting my pellet rifle in the garage, with a proper trap.

I am working on finding a place to shoot. Wouldn't have been a problem a few years ago, when my parents still lived on our 5 acre hobby farm in a rural area.

As it is, my choices are either public ranges, which tend to be indoor, short range affairs (50 yards or so), and a bit of a drive (and I want to start learning advanced marksmanship techniques. I got John Plaster's Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers this Christmas and want to try some of the techniques like reading the wind, mirages, and the like.) or private ranges that suffer from both high membership fees, and long drives.

There are a few bright spots nearby, and I'm working getting some info. I'm also looking into various competitions too. Silhouette shooting, high power, and small bore so far look pretty interesting to me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    I got John Plaster's Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers this Christmas and want to try some of the techniques like reading the wind, mirages, and the like.) or private ranges that suffer from both high membership fees, and long drives.
    I'd love to do some long range shooting myself, but the only gun club in my area with a 200-yard range wants $250 a year membership dues + sponsorship from a current member. I have a sponsor. Could you loan me $250?

-stray-

United States
    I'd love to do some long range shooting myself, but the only gun club in my area with a 200-yard range wants $250 a year membership dues + sponsorship from a current member. I have a sponsor. Could you loan me $250?

-stray-
    Make ten donations to the local plasma clinic. Most places let you donate twice a week. If you start this week could be a member by mid May.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Make ten donations to the local plasma clinic. Most places let you donate twice a week. If you start this week could be a member by mid May.
    I know you were joking, but do blood banks still pay in your state? They don't in California as far as I know. But you can still get at least $100.00 if you will your body to science so that students can dissect you when you are gone, if you are hard up enough or really need to make that range fee.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, and apparently was misinformed about getting money for donating your body since I did a quick online search and learned that they no longer pay (at least in CA) for donations of this sort. Sorry for the misinformation!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-Apr-2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Been a few years, recall most blood plasma places would pay $20 for the first donation and $30 for the second donation in a single week. So an extra $200 a month. Could be more now days depends on where you live. Know a guy in college who used blood money exclusively to pay for his ammo.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 04-Apr-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Been a few years, recall most blood plasma places would pay $20 for the first donation and $30 for the second donation in a single week. So an extra $200 a month. Could be more now days depends on where you live. Know a guy in college who used blood money exclusively to pay for his ammo.
    Not a bad amount of extra income there if you can handle two pints every week!
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Not a bad amount of extra income there if you can handle two pints every week!
    Not the same thing. Donating plasma only, not donating whole blood. It involves being hooked up to a machine that draws your blood, separates the plasma out of it, and then returns your blood cells to you.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Not the same thing. Donating plasma only, not donating whole blood. It involves being hooked up to a machine that draws your blood, separates the plasma out of it, and then returns your blood cells to you.
    You are right, brother, it is totally true that this is a different thing than donating whole blood. Thinking about it, I remember when I donated last and how weird it felt when they returned the fluid cells back into my veins!

Dying

Undisclosed
    I used to donate a lot when I was in college and the returning solution, which contains an anticoagulant, always gave me an odd sensation. They won't accept my plasma anymore because...get this...they're afraid that I may carry Mad Cow Disease. Ya gotta love the FDA.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodFight View Post
    I used to donate a lot when I was in college and the returning solution, which contains an anticoagulant, always gave me an odd sensation. They won't accept my plasma anymore because...get this...they're afraid that I may carry Mad Cow Disease. Ya gotta love the FDA.
    Odd sensation is exactly it. And getting a little dizzy after walking up a flight of stairs, spending the rest of the day feeling a little buzzed.

Mad Cow Disease? That is classic, brother!

Undisclosed
    I've thought about donating plasma since I attend classes not far from a plasma donation center. It's either $35 or $40 a donation now from them. But both times I've been there they weren't taking anymore donations for the day.

Which sucks because with a Saturday and a Monday class, I could have an easy couple hundred bucks a month, which would pay range fees, ammo, and put together a precision rifle, because I want to be like that STARS guy from the second RE movie, or Andy from the Dawn remake and take on the coming reanimate hordes from a distance in complete safety.

Or just be able to brag about the ability to make accurate 500+ yard shots on targets.