Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you hugged a tree today?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    it would look pretty wank on google earth though
    Fuck Google Earth!

Spy on your neighbour's rooftop, or save the entire globe with a tin of white hammerite?!

I think the choice is clear, good day sir! *dusts hands*

Seriously though, it was a nifty, simple, cheat idea that really struck me. I think it'd be a cool idea.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Fuck Google Earth!

Spy on your neighbour's rooftop, or save the entire globe with a tin of white hammerite?!

I think the choice is clear, good day sir! *dusts hands*

Seriously though, it was a nifty, simple, cheat idea that really struck me. I think it'd be a cool idea.
    I love simple yet ingenious solutions like that - I was watching Coast last night and they did a feature on this guy who lived near Edinburgh in World War 1. He had a plan to stop German U-Boats which involved him towing a wooden periscope baited with fish behind his yacht. The idea behind it was to alter the behaviour of local seagulls, so that they would eventually come to associate the sight of a periscope with the attainment of food so whenever a German sub entered the Firth of Forth, the gulls would flock around it in huge numbers, alerting the coastguard to the presence of the otherwise invisible enemy.

Proper eccentric British ingenuity, that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    OOPS!! I thought the thread said: " Did you smoke trees today?"

Sorry. Carry on.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I love simple yet ingenious solutions like that - I was watching Coast last night and they did a feature on this guy who lived near Edinburgh in World War 1. He had a plan to stop German U-Boats which involved him towing a wooden periscope baited with fish behind his yacht. The idea behind it was to alter the behaviour of local seagulls, so that they would eventually come to associate the sight of a periscope with the attainment of food so whenever a German sub entered the Firth of Forth, the gulls would flock around it in huge numbers, alerting the coastguard to the presence of the otherwise invisible enemy.

Proper eccentric British ingenuity, that.
    I love stuff like that.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    However, was the "Obama supporters" thing really necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    What's with the leftie/obama bashing in every one of your threads SR?

-stray-

United States
    I heard about it on some Channel 4 show about climate change, and there was a bunch of people with "out there" ideas of how to combat it ("out there" as in, ideas that would probably work quite well, but ideas that don't involve guilt-tripping citizens or adding to their tax burden so 'they' can make money out of it).

*ahem*

Anyway, that idea really struck me - so simple - a couple of pots of paint for every roof in the cities and boom - the power of reflection.

Plus trees are awesome - so plant bucket loads of them already!
    That would work about as well as pissing up a rope.

The whole reason why heat doesn't just bleed off into space and leave us on a desolate, frozen iceball is because the atmosphere works as a natural greenhouse. Once the energy gets in, in doesn't let it back out without a fight. Putting a reflector inside the greenhouse won't do dick. You need to reflect it before it gets in. And there's no way to paint the outside of the ozone layer.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

The whole reason why heat doesn't just bleed off into space and leave us on a desolate, frozen iceball is because the atmosphere works as a natural greenhouse. Once the energy gets in, in doesn't let it back out without a fight. Putting a reflector inside the greenhouse won't do dick. You need to reflect it before it gets in. And there's no way to paint the outside of the ozone layer.
    Well, the Earth's atmosphere always allows some of the heat and light reflected by the surface to escape, it's a fairly small ratio (30% of the sun's overall radiation that enters the atmosphere is allowed to escape) but it's part of what what prevents our planet turning into a climate that could melt lead (like Venus). Increasing the surface albedo would increase this ratio because more of the heat and light would be reflected by the surface, therefore more is likely to escape the greenhouse effect of the atmosphere.

However, obviously the plan is completely impracticable (where would you get enough paint and manpower to do every roof on earth, from shanty towns in Lahore to beachfront mansions in California?), and if you do the sums it maybe wouldn't make that big a difference anyway. But, to me and what what I'm trying to say, that's not the point - it's simply that it's an elegant and smart idea, exactly the sort of lateral-thinking that got mankind out of caves and into space.

Canada
    I think he is referring to them being obama supporters because obama is a pussy and would support people like this.

(in his view, not mine. just trying to enter strays mind...it is quite tasty..the delicate morsels exhibited there)
    Last edited by mista_mo; 04-Apr-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

Tell California that

http://www.halfwaytoconcord.com/ban-black-cars/
    California to ban black autos
    March 26, 2009

The auto industry is aghast at a recent California Air Resources Board (CARB) suggestion to ban black cars, ostensibly to help slow global warming.

The thinking is dark cars absorb more heat which creates more pollution from use of the car’s Air conditioner. We are led to believe, I suppose, that the pollution from use of the AC is greater than the heat bounced back into the atmosphere by all of the lighter colored cars.

California is run by apparatchiks of the leftwing politbureau of political correctness. Wake up dear readers. Your freedom is gone. These idiots worry about these stupid issues while California burns from crushing debt brought on by a Legislature that ought to be investigated by the Feds on a RICO charge.

Same for County government.
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    OK even I know this one:

California and the CARB board did NOT suggest banning black cars.

Proof here:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/darkcars.asp

"it's completely falacious, at no time was it mentioned contemplated, or proposed that we would ban or restrict any colour".

So there you go Your black Merc is still safe

And for the love of god can we stop the leftie bashing?

The far right have much more to laugh about.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 04-Apr-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Okay, my bad

But having spent most of my life in CA it sounded like the truth. It isn't for nothing it's known as the land of fruits and nuts

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    lol i guess when you put it like that....!! They did elect arnie after all and that to me is the most bizarre, abstract thing possible on this planet. I mean they even parodied similar in Demolition Man ("President Schwarzenegger?" "wasn't he an actor in your time?") but it still came true - so I guess the banning of black cars thing is a bit more normal comparitively!!!

Gotta love you americans
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    These people also damage their cause, it's like violent protesters, the message is completely lost.
    In total agreement. Just like the message of anti-war activists getting lost in a cricus like atmosphere of pot smoking, bongo drum banging, "good excuse to party...and stick it to the man, so lets loot the Starbucks" rhetoric spewing idiots.

I am totally behind their cause in theory, but these fools remind me of the Manson Family meet the Moonies and Jim Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Okay, my bad

But having spent most of my life in CA it sounded like the truth. It isn't for nothing it's known as the land of fruits and nuts

M_
    Don't feel bad, Marie. I'm from Los Angeles, and this sounded like exactly the kind of crap that Barbara Boxer and Jackie Goldberg would have come up with, so I would have believed it too!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-Apr-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    A tree responds to Earth First ...

Oi, lads and lassies, I canna believe how ungrateful these trees actually are ...

-stray-