Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ways to kill...

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Godzilla was never hurt by a man-made laser in any film that I ever saw. Get your facts straight!
    That doesn't mean he wasn't shot by a man-made laser.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    You know, just a thought but instead of doing this sort of thing with a laser, why not use a very small one inside of a rifle to set off a charge propelling caseless ammunition. Since primer's fail and the shell of conventional ammo adds weight to ammunition, this might be able to enable a soldier to carry more ammo and reduce incidents of misfire. Better use of the technology.
    I imagine one difficulty would be creating an ignition laser strong enough to withstand the chamber pressure. The other difficulty that caseless ammo has not yet been able to overcome is preventing the caseless propellant from cooking off when the chamber gets hot during rapid fire.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I imagine one difficulty would be creating an ignition laser strong enough to withstand the chamber pressure. The other difficulty that caseless ammo has not yet been able to overcome is preventing the caseless propellant from cooking off when the chamber gets hot during rapid fire.
    Well, it was just an off the cuff thought, not one that I put much time into considering. What you said, Publius makes much sense and I have no doubt it wouldn't be all that simple to carry this out, otherwise I am sure it would have been done already and issued to our soldiers.

I am not a mechanically minded person, though I like firearms. The idea of a laser gun is something that has seemed very cool to me since I was a child. Even now, I admit that I am waiting for someone to develop a fireball shooting pistol like the Sandmen had in Logans Run. Silly, to be certain, but how cool would it be to have that as a sidearm.

Your points, all the same, are well taken.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    That doesn't mean he wasn't shot by a man-made laser.
    So what you're saying is that unlike the JSDF, the US military is preparing their useless weapons far in advance of Godzilla's appearance. Now I get it.

You do know that the US military has developed a non-lethal heat ray with a range of about 1/2-mile that can be used to disperse a crowd? That would obviously be the best strategy against Godzilla: instead of trying to kill it, annoy it until it leaves.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    That would obviously be the best strategy against Godzilla: instead of trying to kill it, annoy it until it leaves.
    We could also achieve this by projecting old Seinfeld episodes continuously at Godzilla... maybe the laser is more humane.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Great. This is the start of Cobra Commander.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Well, it was just an off the cuff thought, not one that I put much time into considering. What you said, Publius makes much sense and I have no doubt it wouldn't be all that simple to carry this out, otherwise I am sure it would have been done already and issued to our soldiers.
    Yeah I'd like to see practical caseless ammo too. I was just pointing out the current obstacles, but I bet they'll be worked out eventually. At least the cookoff one. It may be easier to use an electrical ignition system than laser ignition.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria