Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gore in the directors cut

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    While I doubt you are wrong on the demographic part, I'd like to see some sources on your Box Office break information. It's not that I don't trust you, but I've heard reliable sources state what I've heard. Besides, as I've said, most films already cover most of their budget before ever reaching the theathers. I doubt Land would get that kind of marketing deals, of course, but you could probably knock off 5-10 million right away. If it did get 100% the first few weeks or not is irrelevant, really, because the US box office was weak.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well I have to say mista_mo you're one of the good ones coming up behind the older generations. Sometimes I think "those damn kids" (and yet I'm not quite 22 myself!) and think they're all a bunch of bastards with no respect - but then I think that's probably what people five years older than me thought about me and my friends...but you sound like one of the good ones, good stuff.

As for the no-boom-boom-before-marriage, well done I say. Too many people having sex these days, lol ... but seriously, it's good that not all teenagers are the cliche used in comedy sketches.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The US Box office for all films is weak. The most famous successful box office failure is the film Ransom starring Mel Gibson. Here is a film which by all financial accounts was successful at the box office, home video and TV deals. Yet to this day, and many millions of dollars later... Ransom still remains in the red.

When I was younger I worked in a Blockbuster video and a Hollywood Video store, I also was friends with my local theater manager in Scranton PA because he lived next door to me. He used to tell me little details because I asked why I have to pay $5.00 for a 20 oz soda.

I found out about the Star Wars distribution deal at the Carmike 16 in Allentown, PA. I was dating a girl whose younger brother worked in the theater and he was telling us at dinner one night how the manager was frustrated over the Star Wars deal because they had it on 5 screens. I then asked other theater managers just out of curiosity which is how I found out how the system works.

Then when I was involved with the DAWn remake my contact at Universal explained the entire process in the marketing and distribution of major motion pictures. Thats how I ended up knowing a lot of information.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    The US Box office for all films is weak. The most famous successful box office failure is the film Ransom starring Mel Gibson.
    Actually that film doesn't even register on the box office failure chart...

Look at films like Heavens Gate, Cleopatra, Hudson Hawk, Adventures of Pluto Nash,The Postman and so many others..

Ransom cost 80 million to make and grossed 135 million world wide.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep, but everyone had their friggin hands in the til... 300 million later the film is still in the red. In fact in 1998 there was big article in TV guide and TIME about it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    That sounds a bit extreme. If it cost 80 and had a marketing of 50 million, and then made 135 million then I would believe that. But if it cost 80 million total and then made 300 million then it's NOT in the red no matter what the newspapers say.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dude,

I am telling you this movie had some serious accounting errors. Because of royalties and Bonuses based on the final performance. They were totalling everything it cost to make the movie, plus the post payouts. Then comparing it to VHS sales and rentals plus Network TV rights. It still ended up in the red. A lot of execs at Disney got in deep sh*t over this. It is the Enron of films in Hollywood.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Alright, that makes sense I guess. Haha, never would have thought. That was an OK film, mediocre but nothing great. Nothing I would spend 80 million on.

Canada
    That's all great and good, but Ransom still does not equal the losses of the films I mentioned earlier. google all time box office losers and you won't see Ransom mentioned....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Even though Cleopatra is usually listed among the worlds biggest fiascos, it's actually in the plus these days.

Canada
    Heh, thanks MinionZombie, glad to know I can get respect from my elders. I dunno, it's weird, I used to be like that, but I realized that I was going to end up killing myself if I kept doing what I was doing...I've come close but never have had sex..I dunno, whenever the situation came up, it's like something inside me said "no, your not doing this, leave now" and I did. Yea, I get made fun of by some of the people I used to hang out with (one said your 16 and still a virgin, what are you, f*cking gay). All I said was no, I don't wanna have sex with random people...Getting an STD isn't my idea of a fun time. And now that I have a girlfriend (who cares about me for who I am, and doesn't wanna change me) I have no urges to rip her clothes off and fondle her or anything like that..Respect her too much as the beautiful, sweet, loving, caring, intelligent person she is.

If I had been sexually active, I can guarrantee you that I wouldn't have half as much respect for her as I do now...I think it's quite good that I can keep my eyes to her head, not her breasts.

Again, thank you for the good words MZ, and hey..i'm turning 18 in like 11 days so I guess I'll be an adult eh? Pretty funkadelic. anyway, I's be out and this is my post, which has no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand. heh, I'm terrible eh?

United States
    Well, in terms of "word of mouth" take a look at the box office decline of Land and Dawn04

in it's second weekend Land went down 73.44% and in it's third weekend it went down another 65.62%

in it's second weekend Dawn04 went down 60.05% and in it's third weekend it went down another 57.06%

just by those number you can tell what film held onto the publics intrest more

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yawn04 held on longer because it's brainless popcorn candy for the masses - it has big name stars, had a bigger budget, more advertising and more priveliges. But it's beyond crap in the script department.

Land is the art in comparison to Yawn's burger king advert.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkboy
    That's all great and good, but Ransom still does not equal the losses of the films I mentioned earlier. google all time box office losers and you won't see Ransom mentioned....

They go by, Gross versus released production cost. I am sure there are some stinkers in there... Pluto Nash and Gigli have to be at the top of the list along with Basic Instinct 2
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    Yawn04 held on longer because it's brainless popcorn candy for the masses - it has big name stars,
    I'm guessing you are talking about the Dawn Remake (Which I quite like) but I'm not sure because Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames are hardly BIG names. One could argue they aren't even as well known as John Leguizamo, and certainly not as well known as Dennis Hopper.