Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a brief movie review session

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    As sad as it is. . I am actually looking forward to My Bloody Valentine 3D. . . should be fun!!
    Y'know...me too....I know it's probably gonna be piffle, but I like the promo...

At least it's rated "R"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    28 Weeks Later was kickass, and so was The Mist. Don't know how you could not like 28 Weeks, man. I think it's super-duper great, especially compared to all that other asian shit that gets shipped our way.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    28 Weeks Later was kickass, and so was The Mist. Don't know how you could not like 28 Weeks, man. I think it's super-duper great, especially compared to all that other asian shit that gets shipped our way.
    I know what you mean, I really dug 28 Weeks Later - I found it to be either tied or slightly better than the original film ... although probably tied is best.

The opening was absolutely gripping and breath-snatching, the image of a post-outbreak London was captivating, and the scenes during the really long 'running away' portion of the film (because that's essentially what happens once the shit hits the fan) are all gripping, or superbly gory, or show some really great visuals.

I thought it was a great movie - and I, upon first hearing about it, thought it'd be a complete and utter bucket of shit-piss - but I was proved wrong, because I thought it rocked.

I guess the whole "In The House/In A Heartbeat" (the name of the track on the original's OST) is really the themetune of the franchise, and I dig that...even if they did use it quite a bit in 28WL.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    "Asian shit"? What are you talking about, Ned?

capncnut
    While I prefer the first movie, I thought 28 Weeks Later was darned good sequel. My fingernails were firmly stuck in the sides of my armchair.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    especially compared to all that other asian shit that gets shipped our way.

I know what you mean. How many movies can you have where the antagonist is a pale little asian kid that walks all funny up some stairs and hides in the shadows? More crap for the kiddies.

I too found 28 Weeks to be on par with 28 Days.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    "Asian shit"? What are you talking about, Ned?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I know what you mean. How many movies can you have where the antagonist is a pale little asian kid that walks all funny up some stairs and hides in the shadows? More crap for the kiddies.
    That's what I'm talking about blind.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    While I prefer the first movie, I thought 28 Weeks Later was darned good sequel. My fingernails were firmly stuck in the sides of my armchair.
    The beginning was balls to the wall.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Like "Ringu" and its imitators? There are, wot, three others? How is four films "all that asian shit"? Gojira for life! And there are three times as many from Toho, so... shut it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Like "Ringu" and its imitators? There are, wot, three others? How is four films "all that asian shit"? Gojira for life! And there are three times as many from Toho, so... shut it.
    The Ring 0-2, The Grudge 1-2, that one with the website that kills = That asian shit. I've seen it, I can call it what I want... So shut it.

United States
    The Ring movies. . the grudge movies. . the Eye. . Shutter. . .One Missed call. . Pulse. . .etc.

There is a lot of asian "shit" out there. However. .for the most part. . the original asian movies are quite good. It's the hollywood remakes that suck the hairy balls of a southbound emaciated goat.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Ring movies. . the grudge movies. . the Eye. . Shutter. . .One Missed call. . Pulse. . .etc.

There is a lot of asian "shit" out there. However. .for the most part. . the original asian movies are quite good. It's the hollywood remakes that suck the hairy balls of a southbound emaciated goat.
    I don't know. I think the original asian films are just as played out as the remakes. And that's saying alot.

United States
    thus "for the most part" . . .

There are a few asian horror films that re-use that skinny lady with the hair in her face coming at you quite a bit too much.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    thus "for the most part" . . .

There are a few asian horror films that re-use that skinny lady with the hair in her face coming at you quite a bit too much.
    but thats an outsider view, the long haired woman in white is called a yurie, a ghost who hasn't passed on, most likely due to some unresolved conflict, the appearance is invoking the old shinto traditions of dressing the dead in white to symbolize purity and the demonic disheveled hair of the people playing demons in kabuki theatre.

thats vague but i remember it along those lines from a paper i wrote a few years ago. it may seem cliche but thats what ghosts are over there, the people in the east probably roll there eye at the others and what lies beneath because our films are the same, only our folklore is pale people who lurk and leave messages, as opposed to the eastern counterpart were they out and out attack you.

sleep tight

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    but thats an outsider view, the long haired woman in white is called a yurie, a ghost who hasn't passed on, most likely due to some unresolved conflict, the appearance is invoking the old shinto traditions of dressing the dead in white to symbolize purity and the demonic disheveled hair of the people playing demons in kabuki theatre.
    In Sweden, similar ghosts are kalled Vålnader or Gastar. I don't see anyone making crappy movies about them, tho (They make crappy movies about cops, instead). I just don't buy "from an outsiders view" argument. Because, if that's the case, we're not allowed to say anything about Bollywood, from which we are definetly outsiders! But still, I do not think Bollywood makes good movies. Unintentionally funny? Yes. Good? No!

Pale, dark eyed and long haired ghosts are by no means exclusive to Japan. And like with every country, the more we see of their actual films, the more likely are we to see the crap they make as well. I think that's what happened.