Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 is 250

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    You can't make a gem out of a turd. Frank Miller is such a douche. How the **** could anyone even SUCCEED in making a ****ty story about the Battle of Thermopylae? That IS like... the Ingmar Bergman of ****ty things.
    Blah blah blah.
    Frank Miller is great. So 300 is a fantasy interpretation. Its not like Malcolm X pretending to be a historical document and changing very important facts about something relevent. Its a fantasy about an event that no one cares about. Or few care about. Sorry, that my view.
    I bet you liked Robocop. Written by Frank Miller.
    If you think Frank Miller sucks you obviously are not familiar with his work.
    I never read 300 though. It could suck. I just dont know.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    If you think Frank Miller sucks you obviously are not familiar with his work.
    I never read 300 though. It could suck. I just dont know.
    I haven't read much of Miller's work outside of the "Sin City" series, but I did see a few of his "Batman" comics that were top notch stuff. And these comics helped inspire the awesome film, "Batman Begins".

Undisclosed
    Damn RedNed, you certainly know how to take a dump on a movie before it comes out. Give it a chance it might be cool. If not then sometime next month we're all talk sh!t about it with you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Same with "300". Yeah, it has all the deformed creatures and the elephants or whatever they are, but does that mean it's going to be a bad movie? If Miller and Snyder made a 100% accurate depiction of that war(which is virtually impossible), it would most likely be very boring to most viewers. The things they added in are for entertainment only. That's what movies are for....entertainment.
    So adding rhinos, masks and topless spartans is going to heighten entertainment? You could do a perfectly good ACCURATE movie about Thermopylae and it would actually be MORE entertaining than one where there's a "girl power" scene (Yes, Zack has mentioned this in an interview).

And Frank Miller is a ****ing idiot, coma. He might draw cool pictures, but his ideas are ****ing whack. 300 is proof of that. It right out... Hrm... SUCKS. And so will the film.

Zack Snyder or not, I'm sure he can work his visuals. But the representation of the events are so ridiculously dumbed down that it literally pisses me off. Imagine if someone made a film about Battle of Britain, but hiring topless american actors only, and the germans would use helicopters and MIGs. Would you LIKE that film?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's the same argument that people made when "Titanic" was being made/released.

"AHH....he's putting fictional characters into a story about an actual event! Blashamy! How dare he make it a coherent storyline with something to follow rather than watch a boat sinking for 3 hours!"

Fiction is always put into films that are "based on true events". And what Coma said is true. It's an event that very few people even know or care about.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Feb-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    And Frank Miller is a ****ing idiot, coma. He might draw cool pictures, but his ideas are ****ing whack. 300 is proof of that. It right out... Hrm... SUCKS. And so will the film.
    Thats one thing of his out of a career since the mid 70s. His ratio of good to bad is pretty good. Other than 300 name one thing of his thats wack. (other than DK2)
    You are crapping all over who I believe to be a groundbreaking artist because of one work out of many. I think its unreasonable.
    Imagine if someone made a film about Battle of Britain, but hiring topless american actors only, and the germans would use helicopters and MIGs. Would you LIKE that film?
    Sounds like a hell of a movie!
    Though you could find loads of people who were around for the battle of Britain.
    I doubt there are too many Spartans left
    I think the Matrixish fight scenes I saw in the commercials look pretty dumb though.
    Werent the Spartans the ones obligated to bone their young male charges? I wonder if that shouldbe in the movie too? "You must learn fight...my penis!"

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Bassman, Titanic deviated slightly from the original story. Not enough for anyone to notice. 300, however, deviates to the extreme. As I said. Battle of Britian. Topless american fighters flying against helicopters and migs. Sound like a good movie to you? That is what this is, except I was actually friendly enough to use existing technology. Who the hell ever rode a RHINO to war?? That's retarded.

I'm crapping all over Frank Miller because I believe he sucks, except for his drawings. I read an interview once how he boasted how realistic he thought 300 was. Bull****. The guy wrote a story that's not even fitting for KIDS as BASIC HISTORY.

The Matrix fight scenes, the visuals, I do not mind. But the rest is pure crap. Infact, I think that the visuals combined with a slightly more realistic tone would have been super duper kick ass. But this... It's like an old Nintendo game, for **** sake! And a bad one, at that!

Administrator

England
    Bassman, Titanic deviated slightly from the original story. Not enough for anyone to notice. 300, however, deviates to the extreme. As I said. Battle of Britian. Topless american fighters flying against helicopters and migs. Sound like a good movie to you? That is what this is, except I was actually friendly enough to use existing technology. Who the hell ever rode a RHINO to war?? That's retarded.

I'm crapping all over Frank Miller because I believe he sucks, except for his drawings. I read an interview once how he boasted how realistic he thought 300 was. Bull****. The guy wrote a story that's not even fitting for KIDS as BASIC HISTORY.

The Matrix fight scenes, the visuals, I do not mind. But the rest is pure crap. Infact, I think that the visuals combined with a slightly more realistic tone would have been super duper kick ass. But this... It's like an old Nintendo game, for **** sake! And a bad one, at that!
    Isn't it a comic book adaptation? It's not meant as realistic, but a pure comic fantasy story? If someone riding a Rhino brings something good to the film, then bring it on
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Isn't it a comic book adaptation? It's not meant as realistic, but a pure comic fantasy story? If someone riding a Rhino brings something good to the film, then bring it on
    Spider-man is more realistic than 300. 'Nuff said.

Undisclosed
    The problem is they're "topless"? You'd rather they were running around with their yarbols in the breeze? That would be more accurate, but might make it a bit difficult to find enough actors (jeez, the heating bill on the set to fight the shrink!), let alone get by the ratings board. Yes, a "real" version would likely be a pretty sick movie in the right hands, but clearly no one was going for absolute historical verisimilitude here. And there are very, very few films made about historical events that are 100% "accurate". Who cares, it's a shamelessly comic book version, if it's a good ride that'll be fine by me. The author of Gates of Fire says that Universal is looking at how 300 does before they decide whether of not to go ahead with a film of that, which would probably satisfy the folks who want more history in their giant Hollywood blockbuster popcorn sellers.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This film has nothing to do with films that are "not quite 100% accurate". Stop comparing it to those. This film is a fairy tale. A fantasy-joke.

I know it's a comment book. And I'm not saying you guys aren't allowed to enjoy it. But I'm allowed to despise the approach they've taken just as much as you like it.

300, to put it plainly, sucks on so many levels. It might have good action, and I'm sure it's pretty. But at the cost of believability? At the cost of intelligence? At the cost of being so much more than it could have been? The communist has spoken.

One thing I like about 300 is that it will revitalize the interest in european history. Maybe people will divert their eyes from those superior samurai warrior culture bull**** they raise to the skies so much and realize that there were cool dudes fighting in Europe too. Albeit with totally nonsensical clothing.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 28-Feb-2007 at 10:27 PM.

United States
    =
    I know it's a comment book. And I'm not saying you guys aren't allowed to enjoy it. But I'm allowed to despise the approach they've taken just as much as you like it.
    Sure you are allowed to hate the idea of fantasizing something you are obviously very interested in.

My only issue was crapping of Frank Miller. Other than an interview (about 300) and 300 itself you didnt mention after repeated queries one other thing where his work sucks and is wack. Sin City is great. And I dont mean just the drawing. He's a great writer, imo. I get the feeling you have glanced at some of his stuff, but dont really know anything other than 300.

To be honest, I would rather watch a samurai film rather than some old glorious Europe stuff. But thats just my taste. Seven Samurai is one hell of a film.

Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Maybe RedNed should take a toke off a Cuban. *L*

Administrator

England
    Spider-man is more realistic than 300. 'Nuff said.
    That's fine... I suspect it's feet are firmly in comicdom...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Damn right, I hate Miller. It's probably just temporary for ****ing this story up and for it being so laughably bad. But hey. I find this story SO bad that I would even David Fincher if he did it.

*Lights a cuban*

As for Samurai flicks, only the Akira Korusawa ones are really any good. You can find gems here and there, but when the biggest source is a 20-part hack series called Zatoichi, where Zatoichi goes around and fights various villains. I even saw a trilogy on Miyamoto Musashi and it sucked. Which was odd, because Toshiro Mifune played Musashi. I hope this film (300) will kick Japanophiles in the nuts and show them who would REALLY win in a Knight vs. Samurai duel.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 01-Mar-2007 at 11:34 AM.