Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A remake too far? - Let's Do The Time Warp Again (Again)!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My wife LOVES the original Rocky Horror. I enjoy it, but I don't hold a candle next to her. And on the other hand, she doesn't hold a candle to the people that dress up for it, go crazy, and all that crap.

Anyway, I've watched RHPS many times and I've always enjoyed it. Then she made me watch Shock Treatment. WTF, man?!? I can see that he's trying to create a total different feel from the first film, but it just doesn't work.

So the same goes for this remake. Imo, the first(play & movie) was probably a case of being hit by lightening. And we all know that it won't strike in the same place twice. There's something "in the air" about RHPS. I don't know what it is because I'm not a hardcore fan, but it feels to me that it's one of those times that the pieces just came together, the planets re-aligned, and they turned a bullsh*t story into something that could last for generations.

Shock Treatment couldn't do it. A remake won't do it. And I won't.....pay for it.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    So the same goes for this remake. Imo, the first(play & movie) was probably a case of being hit by lightening.
    Then again if Richard O'Brien was on board, it might retain a little something. For some reason I can see Tim Curry playing the narrator...

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I mentioned this to a friend who then hipped me to the following quote from Ecclesiates 1, verse 9 & 10

9. What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

10. Is there anything of which one can say,
    "Look! This is something new"?
    It was here already, long ago;
    it was here before our time.

I am no holy roller and am barely Buddhist, but I thought this was applicable here in this context.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Richard O'Brien isn't involved - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7559471.stm
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like we have another dawn remake on our hands. "screw the original's creator - what does he know?!?"

Then again....he did give the world Shock Treatment.

Super Moderator

UK
    It's such a stupid idea to remake it, the original is so of it's time, of the way it was released, of the way it came out, of the way it was received by the audiences and so on.

New audiences seeing a new movie just aren't going to replicate that success and obsession, just let people discover the original film, rather than trying to perpetuate a throw away culture of idiots who discard a movie once it's 20 or so years old.

F*cking stupid, essentially saying that new viewers are incapable of discovering old movies - erm, Dawn 78 came out 6 years before I was born, I discovered it and Romero via a BBC2 documentary on the horror genre, and an article in SFX magazine in 1997 ... wasn't that hard really was it?

F*ckin' suits, I tell thee...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The film is always being screened at midnight showings. So what they SHOULD do is re-release the original film and promote the hell out of it. Kind of like they did with Alien and The Exorcist a few years back.

There's this theater here in Atlanta that plays the original every friday night and it's packed every week. If they released the film on a larger scale, it would make the suits alot of money(because that's all they want) and it would introduce the film to a new generation...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The film is always being screened at midnight showings. So what they SHOULD do is re-release the original film and promote the hell out of it. Kind of like they did with Alien and The Exorcist a few years back.

There's this theater here in Atlanta that plays the original every friday night and it's packed every week. If they released the film on a larger scale, it would make the suits alot of money(because that's all they want) and it would introduce the film to a new generation...
    Exactly - a lot cheaper than doing a remake, and a lot more admirable too.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Why does this movie need to be remade. It is a cult genre film, with a small but loyal following, and like a poster on the previous page mentioned, lightning will not strike twice or even a third time.

Something with the appeal and magic of RHPS, although I don't find it appealing or magical, cannot be captured again.

Its kind of like Grease and Grease 2. It just didn't work the second time around.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was just thinking....musicals are making a bit of a comeback aren't they? Sweeny Todd, Repo: The Genetic Opera is coming out soon, and now a Rocky Horror remake.

I'm kind of looking forward to Repo: The Genetic Opera now. It looks extremely weird and gothic, but it's got my attention. And it's got some good talent behind it, as well. (although I'm kinda worried that Paris Hilton is someone thrown into the mix.)

Edit: better trailer..

Last edited by bassman; 14-Aug-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Somehow I don't think the sort of people who wanna hump High School Musical, will be bothered about Rocky Horror.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Repo, looks like a Musical Sin City. I may have to check this out as I am huge fan of Sin City.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Repo, looks like a Musical Sin City. I may have to check this out as I am huge fan of Sin City.
    Musical Sin City? How did you come to that connection? I don't see it, really.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    From the trailer.

In other news, original RHPS creator not pleased about remake

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0550833/
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!