Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ...and the next reboot is...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    You can't call it a prequel to Planet of the Apes because the original series involved time travel - both directions - and the events of the series are a self-fulfilling cycle (which may or may not break off into a "happier" timeline at the end of Battle for the Planet of the Apes). There is no room for a prequel - the existing sequels are the prequels!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    You can't call it a prequel to Planet of the Apes because the original series involved time travel - both directions - and the events of the series are a self-fulfilling cycle (which may or may not break off into a "happier" timeline at the end of Battle for the Planet of the Apes). There is no room for a prequel - the existing sequels are the prequels!
    Exactly. I'm thinking that they're just using the word "prequel" to ease it onto people, but it will actually be the start of a new series. Basically starting at Escape/Conquest.

CGI apes, though? God I hope that doesn't happen. If they're starting at the beginning of the end, we won't be able to relate to CGI! The whole point of both Escape and Conquest is for the viewer to sympathise with the apes(Cornelious, Zira, Milo/Ceasar) rather than humans. You think that's going to work when they look like Alvin and the Chipmunks?
    Last edited by bassman; 07-May-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    I have a hard time believing CGI Apes will go over well.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I have a hard time believing CGI Apes will go over well.
    That said, the 'makeup' apes in the Tim Burton one looked terrible IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    shhhhh. We don't even mention that "remake" around here. Deal?

My other half actually prefers the remake over the original films. Her back still hurts from the lashings....
    Last edited by bassman; 07-May-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Really? I thought that was one of the few decent things about the film. That and the ape costume design. Otherwise it was wretched and I recall being quite, quite pissed after seeing it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    We don't need any more Monkey Business around here, thanks.

The original sequels were stupid, the remake was stupid, now a remake of a sequel...fuck that.

Now, if they wanted to do a legit remake (in other words, one that even halfassed resembles the original story) of the first one, and then STOP, that'd be okay with me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    This isn't really a re-remake. It's based off of the fourth film in the series, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. Totally different film.

A single ape has the intelligence and leads an army to take over mankind. It's like a better version of Land of the Dead.
    "Rise of the Apes" - Coming June 24, 2011.

I think all hope has just jumped out the window....

Ricardo montablan and Roddy McDowell had great chemistry in that film.

It is also my fav after the first one.

"Ceasar!. This is not how it was to be!"

That exchange with McDonald to cap the film was among the greatest most profound end scenes to any film, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    We don't need any more Monkey Business around here, thanks.

The original sequels were stupid..
    What what what?!? Beneath The Planet of the Apes was shit, but Escape and Conquest are two of the best sequels EVER. Conquest is actually my favorite of the whole series - including the first.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What what what?!? Beneath The Planet of the Apes was shit, but Escape and Conquest are two of the best sequels EVER. Conquest is actually my favorite of the whole series - including the first.
    Agreed. Me thinks i hve to give that series another propper viewing and intorduce the kids to it.

Conquest was a very powerful film and as in the old style had plenty of satire and political commentary about the times in which it was made. One has to atleast acknowledge that.

I took a very civil rightish message from it. I predict that nothing of the sort will be involved with this re-fake. It will cater to the popcorn audiences of today and any message contained therein will be much less overt than in the original.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Scotland
    Battle for the Planet of the Apes was alright too, it felt a bit cheap-and-nasty, but I enjoyed it. Beneath was crap, Escape was good and Conquest was my favourite of the whole series.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You can basically just skip Beneath. When I recently purchased the entire series on BR I watched them all over the course of a week, but just kinda jumped around on Beneath. I've tried to like it, but they just fucked that sequel all up. Tried too hard to make the first film over again. Just skip straight to Escape and tell your kids that the "planet of the apes" blew up shortly after Taylor found the Statue of Liberty.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Battle for the Planet of the Apes was alright too, it felt a bit cheap-and-nasty, but I enjoyed it. Beneath was crap, Escape was good and Conquest was my favourite of the whole series.

"I reveal my utmost self unto my god !! "

Nigga Please.

half of the movie felt, as bassman said, like it was trying to be the first. And the other half i felt like i was at church with them all singing to the nuke and shit.

United States
    Phooey on them. Or some similar sentiment.

The first one was fine. Then "oh by the way" there's a whole bunch of other shit, with psychically-enhanced people and other pukeworthy items. Which lead directly into monkeys dying/oopswewantasequelso not dying (and going back in time to boot), which leads to more chicanery.

I don't like things like that. Not in ape movies, not in ANY movies. Which is probably why I'm not a fan of sequels in general.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    "I reveal my utmost self unto my god !! "

Nigga Please.

half of the movie felt, as bassman said, like it was trying to be the first. And the other half i felt like i was at church with them all singing to the nuke and shit.

I said Battle for the Planet of the Apes was good, not Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

Battle is the final sequel everyone always forgets about, because it was just kind of "okay" without being anything special.