*Death scans the board, looks up menicingly*

"A hit! You have sunk my battleship!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Two words for everyone...

LIAM NEESON!
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    C'mon, MZ - Neil opened the door wide for ya.. you just going to stand there or make the joke?

Had to be said ... now back to the thread.

As for Battleship - I've got zero interest in seeing it. Even less specifically because of feckin' Rhianna pretending to be 'in the Navy'.

United States
    ....is so big it has it's own knee!

Yes, it indeed had to be said. I just didn't want to be the one to do so.

Undisclosed
    I hope Neeson signed a package deal and is going to be in the Hungry Hungry Hippos movie next.

Administrator

England
    Maybe it's not as bad as we fear?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54867
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Maybe it's not as bad as we fear?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54867

Oh, I'm sure it is...

England
    Rhiana or whatever she is called seems to have two dozen jobs on that ship...is the USN strapped for personel at the moment?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Oh Dear!

AICN really does not like it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55798

If BATTLESHIP was only bad, it wouldn't be so bad. Terrible movies happen all the time. Whatever. They can't all be winners. But to be so incredibly moronic… that’s far worse.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh Dear!

AICN really does not like it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55798
    How am I not surprised?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I hope Neeson signed a package deal and is going to be in the Hungry Hungry Hippos movie next.
    I'd pay to see that one, for sure!!!
    I'm wracking my brain to think of some other off the wall game that would also be hilarious. Give me a moment or three...
    That one is kind of hard to top.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I'd pay to see that one, for sure!!!
    I'm wracking my brain to think of some other off the wall game that would also be hilarious. Give me a moment or three...
    That one is kind of hard to top.
    There is always Barrel of Monkeys.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Saw it a couple of weeks ago back-to-back with Iron Sky and thought it was ace. One of the better action films Ive seen in the theathers lately.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Saw it a couple of weeks ago back-to-back with Iron Sky and thought it was ace. One of the better action films Ive seen in the theathers lately.
    You've seen Iron Sky? And?
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The Little Rock paper review gave this a 65% and talked alot of smack about it, not that it'll influence me. I'm not expecting it to be a brainburner, just some good old blowing stuff up kind of fun. They also like to mention the Hasbro tie in alot, mostly not in a good way. Maybe the reviewer lost alot playing it growing up, who knows? I'll see it hopefully this weekend, but not tonight. Tonight is Wrath of the Titans finally. Five bucks, beeotches.

United States
    I saw it a few nights ago - and you know, I was actually pleasantly surprised. The addition to classic rock (CCR, AC/DC, etc.) actually brings out the "AMERICUHN!" feel of the film that it's really based on as "Yeah, America is #1 against everything in existence!" that it was going for as a film. A scene where they are playing "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC in prepping the battleship actually got my heart going fast in grinning and shaking my head in a "HELL YEAH, YOU ALIEN BITCHES! YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE U.S.A!"

Of course it's a bombastic turn your brain off type of film, but it reminded me quite a bit of "Armageddon" and "Independence Day" - both of which I actually enjoyed as well as other type of films where you turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. What I liked best about the film was the fact that the curmudgeon elder veterans had a chance to prove their worth that they still matter to the nation and that they should be truly respected.

Of course, the film is basically a 2 hour propaganda piece for the Navy. But as a propaganda piece for the Navy it did what it did damn well. "Battleship" is for the Navy what "Armageddon" was for NASA or "Top Gun" for the Air Force. I actually enjoyed the film. No - it's not a great film. But as a big-action blockbuster where you think little and enjoy explosions - it's highly enjoyable.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 22-May-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever