Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Zombie Apocalypse What If?

United States
    That is a very bleak and defeatist outlook you have there. While I can onl speak in hypothetical as clearly it has not happened and is not bloody likely to happen. I for one like to think that humanity would live on in one form or another, and that knowing my own resourcefulness that I would live a while at least through the outbreak and subsequent horror.

My biggest weakness would be my superman complex which would force me to want to save everyone that I came across, and my inability to cap people who may or may not be infected. I would have to be surrounded by people with personalities and abilities that directly complimented my own and helped keep my own nature in check for the greater good of all. Including myself.

It is the hard decisions I think I would be the worst at making, and it would be hard to stand by and let someone else make them as well so I would need to have a voice but not be the only voice.

I have given it a lot of thought.

In the end the numbers are indeed scary, and daunting but it would depend o nthe nature of the outbreak, duration, and how long the dead staid mobile. How able you were to fortify, and prepare, and in the end your success or failure would greatly depend on those around you.

Again my opinion.

Twitching

United States
    Well,
    I think a group could make it. The threat of imminent death has often been an excellent motivator to unify. Humanity does well when there's a common enemy to unite them.

I'm also not a big believer in some sort of mysterious x-factor that halts or dramatically slows zombie rotting. I think they're going to rot at about the same speed that your average unembalmed corpse does. With that being the case, combined with the many zombies who, while reanimated, suffered injuries so grievous during the attack/partial devouring that killed them that the millions and millions we often think of when contemplating zombie hordes would get trimmed down reasonably quickly.

I mean, if a zombie is missing a leg it isn't going anywhere fast. It still poses a threat to those in the immediate area, but it won't be following the horde out into the countryside as they shamble after the surviving humans who are abandoning the cities as fast as they possibly can. Then subtract all the zombies that fall in the water and get washed harmlessly away, or off cliffs etc. There will be places IMO where determined survivors could hold on until decay removes much of the threat.

Just my .02

United States
    Well said. I also have to say about the whole "man not being able to survive in groups because they would turn on each other". Yes I know in some cases this is true, it would happen and has happened in other real world cases where the going gets rough. The wild west comes to mind. But families joined up with other families to form villages, others joined them to form towns, people came to those towns to trade and sell and for the protection they offered.

When things are bad you NEED other people to live it really can help you get over a lot of your hesitance to be around others. You would certainly have people taking over, people abusing power taking control by force by America is here today because we were able to squash that with laws, and deeds.

I see no reason at all to throw that out the window and assume all the sudden man would go so far the other way. Is it a different time? Certainly but life and death remain the same.

I just am not a glass is half full guy, and again I look at history to show me which way man would go. We have been around a long time. I know it is popular to say we are going to blow ourselves up, poison the planet, destroy one another. I know we have war going on all over right now and atrocities occur daily. That is not EVERY man, and it certainly does not speak to the core of man.

It represents in my opinion the worst in man and it would take hard decisions and decisive action to ensure that was not allowed to compromise our survival.

I for one have faith in us.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I just am not a glass is half full guy, and again I look at history to show me which way man would go. We have been around a long time. I know it is popular to say we are going to blow ourselves up, poison the planet, destroy one another. I know we have war going on all over right now and atrocities occur daily. That is not EVERY man, and it certainly does not speak to the core of man.

It represents in my opinion the worst in man and it would take hard decisions and decisive action to ensure that was not allowed to compromise our survival.

I for one have faith in us.
    How good or bad people are isn't the issue in this case. Even a handful of out-and-out saints would have no chance.

One historical incident points to this: the Alamo. What happened to them? This is the situation every living person on Earth would be facing. No matter what they try to do, there comes a point where the enemy just beats you. You don't necessarily have to do anything wrong, or even make one mistake. Sometimes, the opponent is just too powerful.

Winning the war against the dead would be like trying to catch the moon if it fell out of the sky. Impossible.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I for one like to think that humanity would live on in one form or another
    I think that humanity would in fact live on in one form or another. I think that human beings in a lot of ways are like cockroaches. Impossible to kill them all.

United States
    I am 51 yrs old do I count? lol
    Really tho, I am in the process of writing about this very subject that is being discussed.
    I have it set in my area and I have it that my family and my whole neighborhood pulls together to survive the zombie apocalypse. I think it's a novel concept if I ever get the piece wrote out.
    I am doing it like it is my 'diary' of each day and the struggles that happen to us all.
    I live on a hill and there a bunch of families on the hill. I have been writing this for over a year and I really need to get back to it. lol
    It is second of two stories I am writing.
    I am rambling...but anyhoo...yeah I think if a group of people worked together and not everyone trying to be"chief". It would work out. Also I live in a rural area where people like to hunt so, probably not a problem getting guns.
    I guess I have faith in humanity!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    How good or bad people are isn't the issue in this case. Even a handful of out-and-out saints would have no chance.

One historical incident points to this: the Alamo. What happened to them? This is the situation every living person on Earth would be facing. No matter what they try to do, there comes a point where the enemy just beats you. You don't necessarily have to do anything wrong, or even make one mistake. Sometimes, the opponent is just too powerful.

Winning the war against the dead would be like trying to catch the moon if it fell out of the sky. Impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I think that humanity would in fact live on in one form or another. I think that human beings in a lot of ways are like cockroaches. Impossible to kill them all.
    Y'see, these are EXACTLY the two point's-of-view I'm torn between.....
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 28-Jan-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Ahhh, the Yin and the Yang, the emo and the hopeful.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    But you on't have to be. In this case both are true. Humanity would be utterly wiped out. However, There will be pockets, Although very small, of humans that were able to find areas (underground bunkers as we saw in day of the dead for example), wait out the "lifespan" of the ghouls and eventually repopulate the planet.

Let's not forget that there might be over 6 billion of us today ( most in india and china, go figure huh?) We all came from one man and one woman. So as long as there that left humanity will go on.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    We all came from one man and one woman.
    That would explain why so many people are defective.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel View Post
    Really tho, I am in the process of writing about this very subject that is being discussed.
    I have it set in my area and I have it that my family and my whole neighborhood pulls together to survive the zombie apocalypse.
    OF COURSE you have it set in your area. Where else would a zombie story be set?

United States
    well yeah ofcourse, I have it set in my area..was just saying!
    My point is in my story we all work together. Option: work together or stay in own house and fend for yourself! Ofcourse, we would still watch out for those not in our area, I mean who needs even more zombs walking around?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I'm also not a big believer in some sort of mysterious x-factor that halts or dramatically slows zombie rotting. I think they're going to rot at about the same speed that your average unembalmed corpse does.

There will be places IMO where determined survivors could hold on until decay removes much of the threat.
    Footage showing the rate of decay for an unembalmed corpse exposed to the elements (ie. not buried)

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!!
    Not appropriate for viewing at work, or viewing before eating a meal. Explicit (non-sexual) and gruesome. Be advised that some of you may want to avoid clicking the following link!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b6d_1182157401&p=1
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Footage showing the rate of decay for an unembalmed corpse exposed to the elements (ie. not buried)
    Too bad it's not timestamped. Of course, rate of decay can vary a lot according to climate, weather, etc.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Too bad it's not timestamped. Of course, rate of decay can vary a lot according to climate, weather, etc.
    Yeah that was my thought, a timestamp would have been nice. It looks like the face is the first to suffer noticible decay, which would jive with Savini FX.

I wonder who took the video and how. The body appears to be indoors...perhaps a basement....the ground looks like it may even be dirt...but I see no evidence of sunlight changing the lighting in the video. Was this some type of legitimate scientific study, or did some murderer (of his spouse perhaps) simply throw them in the basement and set up a camera to make that vid? And if it was some type of scientific thing, did they get permissions from the person and/or their family to make a video of a human being decaying for display on the world wide web?