Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grindhouse is "awesome" & "flawless"

United States
    I think people will still not get what Grindhouse is all about. I think this is partly due to kids nowadays not having seen such grindhouse films from the 70's and 80's. They're used to the polished and music video look of horror movies nowadays.

Anyone who has seen Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS knows that having an assault rifle used as a leg prostethic is pretty tame as a gimmick. This movie could turn out bad and it'll still end up bringing grindhouse back. This is a movie that cannot lose.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx View Post
    I think people will still not get what Grindhouse is all about. I think this is partly due to kids nowadays not having seen such grindhouse films from the 70's and 80's. They're used to the polished and music video look of horror movies nowadays.

Anyone who has seen Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS knows that having an assault rifle used as a leg prostethic is pretty tame as a gimmick. This movie could turn out bad and it'll still end up bringing grindhouse back. This is a movie that cannot lose.
    I agree Tullary, no one is going to understand the concept, and to be honest dumping 40-60 million to make two Grindhouse films is not really Grindhouse cinema. However, it is Tarantino and Rodriguez... and since I am a fan they could have made a film about a talking turd and I would of plopped down $10.00 to see it.

I really am excited for Grindhouse. I have been waiting April 6th with as much pateince as my body and mind can handle. I am glad Friday is coming real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Gary, I think Greg's point on that was the fan base ripping the movie. Seeing the fans put out negative reviews did nothing to help LOTD.

It maynot have helped the film, but wouldn't you agree a true fan is a fan who voices their true opinion? or has Hollywood become so vacant they would rather us lie to their faces? Lee, if anyone knows anything about me they will know I will not defend what I feel to be a sub par film just because I am a fan of the filmmaker. Hey, I like Zack Snyder and I wasn't scared to rip 300 a new ass on imdb.com. No one is immune. If Greg would understand that then maybe he wouldn't be so shallow as to be angry with a TRUE fan voicing his TRUE and Honest opinion of the film. it seems I wasn't the only one who disliked the film either.

Anyway, as far as Grindhouse goes... Like I already said it is Tarantino and Rodriguez so i should like it, but I have my reservations about it. I hope it is everything I think it will be. I have read the Death Proof script and I loved it. So come Friday/Sat I will post my thoughts.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 02-Apr-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Click on the first video. It'll need for you to verify your age but once you do and yer of age then enjoy the festivities.

Eli Roth's faux trailer of Thanksgiving
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They used music from Creepshow in the trailer... NICE!

Well so far Eli Roth's trailer looks very Grindhouse style. have to see the rest of them now.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 02-Apr-2007 at 08:47 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States

I also agree. Not to mention its not a cheapo movie made by hungry filmmakers. I think those 2 are too high on themselves and too hollywood nowadays.
    IIsa ruled. What a weirdo movie. I saw the whole series. Its a guilty pleasure of mine. I think that leg gun thing looks really stupid. I dont have the same affection for Rodriguez as a lot of others.
    And I thought Kill Bill was self indulgent, self referential, totally self conscious and boring as hell
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I think that leg gun thing looks really stupid.
    I think that's the point of what constitutes a grindhouse flick.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well so far Eli Roth's trailer looks very Grindhouse style. have to see the rest of them now.
    Actually at the very end of the clip you can see brief scenes from Rob Zombie's and Edgar Wright's trailers.
    --- Batman

United States
    I think that's the point of what constitutes a grindhouse flick.
    I meant self conscious and stupid rather than quirky wierd and off kilter.
    Combat Shock. Thats a real good grindhouse film.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States

It maynot have helped the film, but wouldn't you agree a true fan is a fan who voices their true opinion? or has Hollywood become so vacant they would rather us lie to their faces? Lee, if anyone knows anything about me they will know I will not defend what I feel to be a sub par film just because I am a fan of the filmmaker. Hey, I like Zack Snyder and I wasn't scared to rip 300 a new ass on imdb.com. No one is immune. If Greg would understand that then maybe he wouldn't be so shallow as to be angry with a TRUE fan voicing his TRUE and Honest opinion of the film. it seems I wasn't the only one who disliked the film either.

Anyway, as far as Grindhouse goes... Like I already said it is Tarantino and Rodriguez so i should like it, but I have my reservations about it. I hope it is everything I think it will be. I have read the Death Proof script and I loved it. So come Friday/Sat I will post my thoughts.
    I think you are missing my point. Basically if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. It's not like you are David Ansen of Newsweek or Roger Ebert, but when fans of Romero rip the movie, I think you can understand that does not help the film. Just because you can do something, does not mean you should. A little tact you know? I think Greg was basically saying to you, hey I helped you get in the movie and you repay me by giving the movie a ****ty review on the internet? He cared if that movie was a success. I don't know if you know that, but he really cared alot. But that is ancient history now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    I think you are missing my point. Basically if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. It's not like you are David Ansen of Newsweek or Roger Ebert, but when fans of Romero rip the movie, I think you can understand that does not help the film. Just because you can do something, does not mean you should. A little tact you know? I think Greg was basically saying to you, hey I helped you get in the movie and you repay me by giving the movie a ****ty review on the internet? He cared if that movie was a success. I don't know if you know that, but he really cared alot. But that is ancient history now.

As I can understand you side of things... I am sorry but I do not agree with you. If Resident Evil 3 sucks everyone will bad mouth it no problem. So the same has to go for LAND. You're right I am not Ebert, but having seen the movie 2 days prior to opening, and feeling it was subpar even for George I felt it was right for me to write a review of the film... a honest review. If everyone lived by your philosphy of "If you don't have something nice to say..." A lot of crap movies would never get reviewed. However, Land was a success so Greg should be happy. I of course expected him to care if it was a success. he blew off Spielbergs WOTW's to do LAND of the DEAD. Everyone wanted Land to be great no one will deny that, but you ask most people to not slam a movie that was awful and they are going to laugh at you.

Onto other subjects... You manage a theater right? Are you guys running Grindhouse?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    ... You manage a theater right? Are you guys running Grindhouse?
    Yes, we are going to run it. We will only have three showtimes though, due to the very long running time. I was talking with Tom Savini about making an appearance, but it looks like it will not happen. He has plans to go to a haunted attraction seminar opening weekend and then will be at Chiller the next weekend. But who knows, maybe we can do something during the week.
    I'm going to give away a couple of original one sheets opening weekend to some fans. So if any fans are in the Pittsburgh area, by all means stop in. I can't wait to preview the film either Wednesday or Thursday night. It's already gotten solid reviews by Variety and Fangoria. I think it will deliver the goods.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They are doing a preview screening in DC Tomorrow Night for exhibitors... I wa sinvited but with having the surgery I have to wait. No biggie though, I am looking forward to checking it out Friday night.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Blu-Ray for Grindhouse comes out on a 2 disc set October 5th 2010 for those of you wanting to grab it up. Amazon has it for pre-order.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    The Blu-Ray for Grindhouse comes out on a 2 disc set October 5th 2010 for those of you wanting to grab it up. Amazon has it for pre-order.
    Someone explain to me why anyone would want a high def version of this movie? So they can see the "film flaws" and the hairs and burn marks on the film in HD?! Or perhaps extra film grain in HD is something I shouldn't be missing?

It would be only for the extra content (MZ!!! i'm looking at you! ).
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 14-Sep-2010 at 01:23 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's easy to explain, Lou. This is the first time the entire film has been released on any home format. And it's only being released on BR. AND....new special features.

As I said in the BR thread, this will be a day one purchase for me.

BTW....looking back on this thread is hilarious...
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Sep-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Actually it's also coming to 2-disc DVD, but the BR has the new extra content as an exclusive.

And I'll be getting this, but will no doubt have to wait for a Region B release.