Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zach Snyder's Army of the Dead

England
    Fair enough, we all have our own ideas about what we like and stuff.

And the only non-zom Romero film I have seen is "The Crazies"...I suppose I am a "zombie/PA fan" more than a "Romero fan"...although you will get no argument from me if you claim that GAR is the undisputed Heavy Weight Champ of the Zombie World.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Why can't I have both? Is that really too much to ask in this age multi-million dollar movies?

Here's a thought, maybe Romero should write a dead script and let Snyder handle the visuals
    Ouch. I don't think so. I think Romero's biggest weakness is his lack of directorial vision. Land showed the skills of a Made For TV Veteran. A poorly shot film; you have to be able to compose sequences using the right coverage. The vast majorty of the film was just intermediate filmmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Why not let Romero handle it all? I mean....at least he can do visuals as well as other aspects of film making. Not to mention that he doesn't need multi-million dollar studios to make a good film.

This, I'd be up for.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I guess. If you prefer visuals over substance, that's definitely what you'll get with this guy.
    I think Romero's visuals are awesome. He's a master at framing shots.
    He turned a shopping mall into a star of a movie.

Undisclosed
    Wile I agree ... that character depth and story are very important...

Visuals ARE important as well. Movies are a visual medium....

Also remember that not every movie has to be "The Ultimate" to be entertaining. There will always be people who tear at a film for one reason or another...

When studios are spending big bucks... they want to see it on the screen.

The 300 would not have had near the impact it had as a story without the stuning visuals.

And in Dawn 04 when they left the mall and were in the center of 1000's of dead ... without the visual it would have lacked impact.

You can find fault all you want ... But in the end ... the box office tally descides who gets to keep playing in the sandbox.

Do you need alot of eye candy to make a movie good? no.

Can fantastic visuals enhance an otherwise unremarkable story? Yes.

I guess I am just not a snob about it ... maybe thats the wrong word.

Anything that keeps zombie movies in general considered a good investment is good for everyone.

Does it mean some less than average films get made? yup. But the next GAR might be hidden amoung them.

That place were you went that time and you thought it sucked too.
    Undisclosed

I'll get blasted for this....

.....but I agree. George writes the script and Matt shoots it! Awesome.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post

Dawn 1978 is an epic film, but still so cheesy with it's blue zombies and absurd biker characters. I love it as a fan, but from a more objective viewpoint, it is a very poorly directed film, the action scenes are a joke and the low-budget evident.

Hey, I still like it, but it's still cheese.
    Finally someone who sees that the original Dawn isn't perfect. I know it's the best out the series for alot of people, but I think people speak to highly of it.....I guess that's why I don't love it alot like you'll..

That place were you went that time and you thought it sucked too.
    Undisclosed
    A oh, I feel the tied of Dawn haters starting to rise!

England
    Dawn was the first Romero movie I ever watched, so it will always be special to me and number one on my zombie movie list...it also works on many levels...least of all, "the having a whole shopping mall to yourself" level.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Shotz View Post
    A oh, I feel the tied of Dawn haters starting to rise!
    Beat 'em or burn 'em, they go up pretty easy.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 28-Nov-2007 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Dawn of the Dead (GAR) will always hold a special place in my heart....

I saw it in the theater when it ran the first time....

And I used to love going to see it at "Midnight Movies" with a full theater who all loved the movie and we all new every scene ... it was a party!

Few movies can stand up to sustained nit picking ... and Dawn is no different ... But the sum of that movie will always be far greater than its parts.

United States
    i wonder if this film will have olymic-gold-medalist sprinting zombies.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i wonder if this film will have olymic-gold-medalist sprinting zombies.
    I'm sure you can count on it.

Undisclosed
    I loved GARs Dawn but I also liked Dawn 04. I think there is room for both types of movies...hell to me the more thewre are the better off we are...I am one of those pro choice guys

I think for an entertaining movie the dawn 04 is great...I enjoy watching it and own it on DVD...

the Original DAWN movie is a classic...could it have been better sure most movies could be made better however the true test is the test of time and GARs vision succeeds there

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    This guy kicked as s with... 300.
    i laughed my as s off all the way through 300. great action scenes. horrible movie. bloated purple prose that passes for dialouge. fantasy elements in this context-yuck. plus the real story of thermopylae is gripping and dramatic enough. there is no need to spice it up with all the crap 300 threw in.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    horrible movie.
    Agreed. Snyder did a good job with regards to his stated goal of copying the comic and its images as closely as possible (he did, definitely claim that at some point), but it suffered as a film. It was crap. Utter, horrible, wretched, stunted, fetid, dead-in-the-womb crap.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Agreed. Snyder did a good job with regards to his stated goal of copying the comic and its images as closely as possible (he did, definitely claim that at some point), but it suffered as a film. It was crap. Utter, horrible, wretched, stunted, fetid, dead-in-the-womb crap.

the thing that just had me in stitches was the utterly inane, overwrought dialogue. that movie has some of the worst writing ever. i have seen fan produced star trek and star wars films with better writing than that.

the "reign of fire" leap (named for the axe wielding bongo matt-right before he becomes dragon pig-in-a-blanket) was one of the unintentionally funniest things i've ever seen.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."