Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat reboot trailer?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think the last one I played was MK3, but is there really that much story to be complaining about this new direction? I thought it was just your basic "people/creatures get together to fight to the death. Last one standing wins".

Like I said, i'm not the biggest fan, but does this series even have that much history to make this too far from canon? I guess there must have been TV shows, comics, etc that I never saw because the games seem pretty straight forward.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think the last one I played was MK3, but is there really that much story to be complaining about this new direction? I thought it was just your basic "people/creatures get together to fight to the death. Last one standing wins".
    Even if one is not concerned with the story, one should at least be concerned with the world itself. If you exclude the story of MK, then the World is all you've got to go on, really. And they've removed that completely in this one, it seems.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Its not really changes to the plot that are the issue, but the changes to the whole premise of the series! What made Mortal Kombat so memorable was the way in which it pitted modern humans against horrific extradimensional beings in various fantastical arenas across different worlds, all within the context of a fighting game. It was sort of a Big Trouble in Little China-type ethos that really gave the game its unique atmosphere.

Now, the clip above looks nice; visually stylish with much better script and production values than the Paul Anderson movie, but it completely fails to capture what, for me, is the spirit of Mortal Kombat. Taking away the supernatural element and replacing it with an exaggerated criminal underworld where cartoon ninja serial killers rub shoulders and knuckles with assassins, cops and fading movie stars basically turns the series into Street Fighter vs Manhunt.

Movie or game, it might be good, but it won't be Mortal Kombat.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 08-Jun-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yet another movie that's going to suffer because of the title. This movie might be good actually, but like dawn 04' it will suffer because of the decision to use the name of of a property that it bears little resemblance to.

It could easily be called something else. The only thing this does is piss off the base.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Canada
    I liked this trailer, quite a lot. That being said however, the charm of Mortal Kombat is the fact that it is a ridiculous fighting game with an illogical, and convoluted story, and I can't help but notice that that charm is lacking in this trailer. I mean, the trailer is ridiculous, but not Mortal Kombat ridiculous.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Without bad acting and supernatural beings it's mortal kombat in name only.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Without bad acting and supernatural beings it's mortal kombat in name only.
    You know....that brings up a question. It's MORTAL Kombat, right? Fight to the death for humans or creatures that actually die. Then why is it Raiden, Shang Tsung, and many others are other-worldly beings that appear immortal? They came back in all the sequels!

*waits for Ned to come in with some sort of portal/magic/time/geek theory*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    You know....that brings up a question. It's MORTAL Kombat, right? Fight to the death for humans or creatures that actually die. Then why is it Raiden, Shang Tsung, and many others are other-worldly beings that appear immortal? They came back in all the sequels!

Obviously, its just, like, too deep for you to understand.

-also, 13,000 GET!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Ned, the Dark Side feeds on such anger.

me and ned must dip into that fountain from time to time

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    me and ned must dip into that fountain from time to time
    Hey, what am I chopped liver?

The name's Darth for a reason yo!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Dude. That's easy.

Raiden is an immortal who has to give up his immortality to compete in the Mortal Kombat tournament! Dude! The same goes for Shang Tsung, who, by the rules of the tournament, cannot compete UNLESS he gives up his immortality. That's why he uses Goro as his puppet, because Goro is way more powerful than him and doesn't have to give up anything - he's mortal. He's just way strong.

Raiden, Shinnok, Fujin etc. etc. are all former Elder Gods who have had their immortality stripped for various reasons. It's all in there. Check it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Dude. That's easy.

Raiden is an immortal who has to give up his immortality to compete in the Mortal Kombat tournament! Dude! The same goes for Shang Tsung, who, by the rules of the tournament, cannot compete UNLESS he gives up his immortality. That's why he uses Goro as his puppet, because Goro is way more powerful than him and doesn't have to give up anything - he's mortal. He's just way strong.

Raiden, Shinnok, Fujin etc. etc. are all former Elder Gods who have had their immortality stripped for various reasons. It's all in there. Check it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

This stuff is explained in the movie. Just watched it a couple months back.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    This stuff is explained in the movie. Just watched it a couple months back.
    I was asking more about the video games. I don't remember them going into much detail other than what I mentioned before. Of course, I haven't played on since the nineties, so they could have had hundreds more since then...